main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Empire's answer to the X-Wing was the TIE Defender.

Shielded, heavily armed and equipped with a hyperdrive. But never produced in large quantities, which will probably be explained in the second half of Season 4 of Rebels...

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I think officially, the Pestage that dies in the X-wing comics is the original. At some point his clone went to Byss.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Originally, yes:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sate_Pestage/Legends

The New Essential Chronology and The Official Star Wars Fact File both state that Krennel killed the original Pestage, with the Fact File explicitly calling the Pestage on Byss a clone, and the Chronology making no mention of him. The Essential Atlas, published most recently, also states that Pestage was killed on Ciutric IV.

However, it has been argued that this:

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-imperial-warlords-despoilers-of-an-empire-part-1

Krennel apparently murders Sate Pestage, but the Imperial regent cloned himself using Palpatine’s Spaarti cloning facility on Coruscant—with which Intelligence Director Ysanne Isard would clone herself in turn.

can be taken as a hint that Ciutric Pestage is the clone.

Plus:

According to Abel G. Peña, the official Lucasfilm Ltd. explanation as of 2005 was that the Pestage killed by Krennel was a clone;[51] however, since then other sources have been released that confused the issue still further.

I think he wrote the Despoilers of an Empire article, so he may have written it from the "Ciutric Pestage is the clone" perspective - retconning the post-2005 sources.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Is the Classic Marvel series divided into arcs like comics today?

5. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Pretty much, yeah. The comics aren't one-offs and a story will take four or five issues to reach its conclusion before they're on to the next one.

6. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I've tried to find some sort of guide but has anyone who has read that series know of a guide or have a guide? I just don't want to burn out and let it sit for six months

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Was Windu's body ever found?

8. TheCowboyBuilder

TheCowboyBuilder Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2016
    I have finished the Darth Bane trilogy and really liked it, I am starting Revan and have bought Deceived.
    I am wondering whether I should buy Fatal Alliance and Annihilation ? - would they be recommended ?

I think I'll skip Red Harvest ...

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I enjoyed FA well enough (I give it a fair recommendation), but didn't bother with Annihilation because I had no faith in Drew K. I'm guessing if you like Revan, you like Drew K, and can give Annihilation a go.

TheCowboyBuilder likes this.
  10. Chris Werms

Chris Werms Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2017
    I wasn't a huge fan of Annihilation, but I also didn't play the TOR game at all. Maybe that would have helped? Fatal Alliance was a long, long journey for me. So many plots, so many characters, and just kinda hard to keep track of everything going on. Not to say that it was bad, by any means! I wouldn't heartily recommend either, but I really liked Deceived and Revan...

Good call on skipping Red Harvest. It was, at best, early Walking Dead with lightsabers, and at worst, beyond silly in terms of genre and some Force abilities.

11. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Of the TOR novels, I've only read Deceived and I've played very little of the MMO game. I didn't have any issues or questions with the book because of it. The only thing you need to see before reading Deceived is to watch the first TOR trailer, as the novel is basically a sequel to it:

I highly recommend Deceived as I think it's a fantastic read.

12. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I haven't played TOR due to not having a good enough PC but I've really enjoyed all the novels related to the game regardaless. Deceived is my favourite but Fatal Alliance and Annihilation are good too.

TheCowboyBuilder and spicer like this.
  13. TheCowboyBuilder

Sep 25, 2016
    Holy ****ing ****balls!!!!!

I have to get this game !! - is the story canon ?

14. TheCowboyBuilder

Sep 25, 2016
    Yes, I really liked Drew K other books.
    Loved the Darth Bane trilogy - particularly Books I and III ... and in the middle of Reban now - it's good too, I really like this old republic era, I wish Disney would do some movies there - sadly I don't think they will.

So thanks, I have received Fatal Alliance and Annihilation is in the mail.

15. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    It's not canon, but don't let that discourage you from playing it. Read and play whatever you like from Star Wars regardless of canonicity, otherwise you'll rob yourself of some great stories ;)

Now that you've watched the trailer you're ready to read Deceived. The novel takes place before the game, by the way.

16. TheCowboyBuilder

Sep 25, 2016
    Oh absolutely, in my head all these books are canon untill they are specifically proved otherwise, by contradiction - like the new movies obviously
    against the books written set after ROTJ years ago.

I read Darth Plagieus and consider that canon.

spicer and PCCViking like this.
  17. TheCowboyBuilder

Sep 25, 2016
    Just to be clear that TOR game is the one from 2003 correct ?

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Nope - it's the one from 2011.

19. TheCowboyBuilder

Sep 25, 2016
    OK just as well, was about to buy it on Steam !
    Do I need to play the 1st to understand the 2nd ?

20. TheCowboyBuilder

Sep 25, 2016
  21. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    The first game is from 2003, and that one is Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR). The second, i.e. sequel to KOTOR is from 2004 and its called Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (KOTOR II or KOTOR II: TSL for short). The one from 2011 is the The Old Republic (TOR), an MMO that's still active. It's not an absolute requirement to have played KOTOR and KOTOR II before you play TOR, but since TOR is kind of a sequel to those games, it helps to have had. Both KOTOR and KOTOR II are phenomenal games that are regarded as some of the best RPGs in general, not only Star Wars games, and I definitely recommend them if you haven't played them. However, if you want to jump straight into TOR, you may find this video useful:

It explains all the main events that lead into TOR. Here's the main thread on this forum that focuses on the game:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-old-republic-mmo-the-new-official-thread.50004324/page-236

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In Tarkin, Tarkin suspects that Palpatine is a "Sith", but does he ever realize that "Sith" means a Force-believer?

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yes. Actually pretty much all he seems to know about the Sith, IIRC, is that they were a rival religious order to the Jedi.

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Is the novelization of the 2008 clone wars movie written in 2008 by Karen Travis considered canon?

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    as far as I can tell - no - all novelizations written before 2012 are considered noncanon (at least in the sense of bonus scenes, character thoughts, etc - anything not actually seen on screen) until republished specifically for the newcanon.

Jedi Knight Fett and PCCViking like this.