main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Do you like the new canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    No, no, you're still... holding on! Let go!

RavagerFish likes this.
  2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Some of us have chosen to hold on to the old Canon and acted on it.

kalzeth likes this.
  3. Danz Borin420

Danz Borin420 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 26, 2017

Why is this unrealistic in-universe? If I was following correctly; you guys were speaking IN-UNIVERSE during this conversation. So why would an alien invasion be unrealistic IN-UNIVERSE? (or even out of universe?)

If anything, I'd assume any kind of enttity/group/faction/fringe on the outside looking in, at the end of ROTJ would see this as an opportunity. A chance that the galaxy would swirl into anarchy and would attempt to step into the power vaccuum. (This has been done in numerous times in our own history, just on Earth.)

Especially alien groups, that had been historically under-represented, and oppressed in recent times by the Empire. So any group that was harboring any sort of power on the fringes of the OR or UR or WS could easily use this chance to sweep in and try and set-up shop. What do they have to lose at that point anyway?

I don't think its unrealistic at all for that to happen. I also don't think its unrealistic that even DURING the Empire or the Old Republic that there would be Visigoth style 'invasions' from time to time. If nothing else than to just test the might of the current regime. Especially in a galaxy so large and so unwieldy in terms of travel, resources, and control aspects. Especially since TPM even represented to us and other books (canon) have shown us during the Empire as well, that no galactic government has 100% control over the entire universe in SW. The galaxy is far too large, and too nebulous of a thing for the Old Republic (as TPM showed us) or the Empire (various books and comics) to control all regions of it.

I also think it would be unrealistic for a total collapse of the Empire post-ROTJ. I do think the hierachy of the military leadership might get frayed, but would hold together. I think some of the OR areas and side-projects would fall apart, and I could see a few Moffs/Generals/etc turning into Warlords with their own fleets ala Roman Rulers. In both in-universe and out-of-universe it makes sense for SOME kind of Empire to be around in the ST. Though, depending on how far back the ST is (5 years post-ROTJ, 10 years post-ROTJ, 30 years post-ROTJ) I think their power and influence would wane. I think the total collapse of the Empire 1-2 years after Endor (ala new canon, with Jakkuu) and then fading into obscurity is far far less the likely scenario of what we got between the Empire post-ROTJ in Disney and post-ROTJ Empire in Bantam. Some could be chalked up for marketing/storytelling purposes, and some that we had an anomaly in the Emperor rather than a true government form. But I still find Disney's representation of post-ROTJ Empire far less likely (and far less interesting, fun, correct, etc, not sure what terminology to label it).

blackmyron, kalzeth, Hypatia and 2 others like this.
  4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    @Danz Borin420 If the Vong had been from the same galaxy it would have been fine. All the novels were doing at the time though was capitalizing on the then current popularity of alien invasion stories.

5. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    what difference would it make if the Vong came from the same galaxy?

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If the Silentium creators were confirmed to be from the SW galaxy, it means that we attacked first

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It could be the Abominor that did most of the invading, before being wiped out by the Vong, leaving only one survivor - The Great Heep.

We know that the Silentium's creators may possibly also be the Sharu's creators - given that both creator-races are supposed to be starfish-like.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    They way I always understood was the Vong Galaxy was devastated by three consecutive wars.

1. Silentium vs Abominor
    2. Vong war against the droid species and conquest of their Galaxy
    3. Vong civil war

These wars occurred in succession to one another over a sustained period of time-hence the sheer devastation and need for the Vong to depart their own Galaxy.

At least this is my interpretation.

9. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    you realize I'm quoting Kylo Ren from the movie, discussing whether he'll revive the Sith in the new canon, and that has nothing to do with the old canon at all, right?

10. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I think alien invasions work with the galaxy. I imagine during the transition from the Republic to the Empire UR forces would try their hand at invading the mainland. This probably forced the Empire to become friends with the Chiss to help deter far-out threats.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I honestly didn't sorry.

Stymi likes this.
  12. Danz Borin420

Oct 26, 2017
    Care to elaborate?

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Probably would have preferred the next arc after YJK to be an UR threat and then the Vong after that.
    We find hints of the Yuuzhan Vong during the series and the heroes find out that the Vong were the reason that the UR threat attacked the galaxy in the first place. As a lightning rod or fleeing from their aggression.

14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    As someone who read them when they actually came out, I thought the issues with the NJO books were
    1) To Long a series with too many authors - If they had cut it in half with a select few of authors it would’ve been fine.
    2) Starting off with Salvatore, not that his book was bad or he is a bad author per say but I still feel they should’ve started off with an established author like Stackpole first. He’d obviously not read much if any of the EU and it showed
    3) Completely ignoring the set up from Zahn and Vision of the Future. That seemed such a waste to me even at the time VP came out
    4) How they killed of Chewie - Not that they did, which was fine but dropping a moon was a bit lame
    5) The Vong were essentially evil vegetable people into S an M - That could’ve used a bit more work in Jmo

Jedi Knight Fett and kalzeth like this.
  15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Exactly what I said. The NJO was simply taking advantage of the popularity of alien invasion stories at the time. If the same series was created now they likely would have put something different in because alien invasion stories aren't popular these days.

Outsourced likes this.
  16. nom_anor_no_more

nom_anor_no_more Jedi Master star 1

Feb 17, 2007
    I enjoy the new canon quite a bit, as it scratches the itch of wanting new characters, and adventures that don't shoehorn the big three into them. My main gripe with the new canon is that the old was swept away so something more cohesive and integrated could be made—but the new stories feel even more disconnected from the films they support.

I hoped against hope that Dawson's Phasma might have some bearing on her character in The Last Jedi. But no. The Phasma novel, and the Marvel comic both made made an impact, and if it truly mattered beyond being something else the Star Wars logo is slapped on (let's be real) that would have been evident in The Last Jedi. Even the damned comic referenced the novel....

kalzeth likes this.
  17. Danz Borin420

Oct 26, 2017

What big alien invasion stories were happening October 1999 - 2004 or whenever TUF came out?

Also, if memory serves me correctly - the original pitch Del Rey made to LFL was that it would be the Sith. But they were vetoed on that and it got turned down, because Lucas said it would undermine what Vader did, and because 1999 saw TPM come out and he was going to do a lot more with the Sith in AOTC and ROTS.

18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Alien Invasion stories were popular within the Entertainment Industry really throughout the mid '90's and early '00's. You had the Independence Day movie come out plus the Men In Black series. Also need to remember the X-Files were pretty much at their height during that time.

19. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    They could still make a return.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hamburger_Time likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Many different threats in the Unknown Regions and were to be in TCW.
    What fantasy/sci-fi series hasn't had a Yuuzhan Vong-type alien invasion story at some point?
    Star Trek had the Borg,
    Dune had the Thinking Machines return after Frank Herbert's last book
    ASOIAF/GOT have The Other's/White Walkers. Targaryen's would fall under this too. The First Men and the Andal Invasions as well.
    Shannara has an outside invasion in its current book arc or the Demons escaping the Foreboding after 1000's of years.
    Isaac Asimov's Foundation universe didn't.
    Not versed in the LOTR universe aside from LOTR and the Hobbit. So no idea.
    Wasn't there an invasion of Narnia in the Narnia series?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  21. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Not quite sure how you make such a weird claim as if invasion stories aren't still coming out; and Fate of the Jedi was itself another invasion story.

22. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    Actually, Foundation had Galaxia, which is pretty much a nicer Borg, in the end. Also, if you add in the post-Foundation trilogy (Bedford, Bear, Brin), you have the robot conquest of the whole galaxy...kind of like the good guys invading and winning...

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    DP

24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Isn't every Sith story an invasion story as well?

TOTJ with Naga Sadow,
    KOTOR, with Malak and Revan
    TOR with the Sith Empire
    FOTJ with the Lost Tribe,

Etc.

Hmm. Good catch. I've read a lot of the stories but not in about 10 years.

Darthur C. Clarke likes this.
  25. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Definitely SWTOR. Vong are only a problem cause they feel different.