main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Upcoming canonization of Legends characters

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Jan 28, 2018.

1. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    It's actually not. Her main arc, (and best IMO), from The Thrawn Trilogy to Hand of Thrawn, took place before she was in a relationship with Luke.

Non-Legends fans might know her for being Luke's wife, but to say there's no point to her character if she's not married to Luke is...not a good look.

2. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    She also had three solo novels (in the later EU years) in which her sole trait was not spouse to powerful man.

I'd argue she was a more popular character than Thrwan, and I think we will see her back. And I'm sure Zahn would love to reinvent Mara for the NEU.

There are really only a handful that were popular beyond us die-hard EU-heads. That would have wider marketing draw.

She's one.

How cool would a Mara-Aphra team-up be?

I hope we get the bigger names with significant story arc. Not obscure references for obscure characters.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Let's think for a moment: just WHO are those characters who were popular beyond us die-hard EU-heads?
    There was Thrawn, but it's done already.
    There's Mara.
    There's Revan.

But who else?

Darkslayer likes this.
  4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The problem with Mara and many of the others is that we've already set them up as "doomed by canon," because of where Luke is at the beginning of the ST. Which would be underwhelming.

So they'd need to shuffle a lot of things around to make that work.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Solo is going to have Zorba the Hutt

you heard it here first

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would really hope for Revan, but I think it is unlikely. I will still hope though. He is the only Legends character I want to return who has not already.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I would suggest that whatever characters return, there's likely to be some tie to material that's been recanonized already.

For example - TCW, with its Black Sun, and Falleen leaders of Black Sun, seems like a good justification for Xizor making an appearance. Especially since Sabine's friend Ketsu Onyo is a member of Black Sun - so it exists in the Rebels era.

For a more historical example - Saw is Onderonian (Onderon itself appeared in TCW) - maybe the ancient villain Freedon Nadd might get a mention?

8. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    As others have pointed out, Kyle Katarn is one of the most popular EU characters. Beside him, you may count Jan Ors, Jerec and his Dark Jedi. But those are popular mainly because of Kyle.

Starkiller is another one. Along side Revan there's Bastila and the other companions in the game.

Also Dash Rendar and Xizor.

Most people with just marginal interest in Star Wars beyond the movies have probably heard of these.

Darkslayer likes this.
  9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I suspect Revan and Starkiller are the two most popular Legends characters (apart from perhaps Mara Jade and Thrawn).

Dash Rendar, Xizor, and Kyle Katarn are more 90s -- which I guess gives them something of an edge since I get the sense that the current material is deliberately evocative of that era.

In terms of the Balkanized fandom of Star Wars, I think a lot more people are familiar with Revan and Starkiller due to being fans of the films and playing the video games, which probably has more overlap than people that like Star Wars and read novels or comics. I think a lot of film fans will play the games but necessarily delve into the deeper lore.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Darkslayer likes this.
  10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I'd like to see Bastille and Satele Shan come back as well

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Revan almost showed up on Mortis along with Bane

and Bane showed up later, so... Revan in SW Rebels?

Darkslayer likes this.
  12. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I'm still of the opinion that Revan has been teased in canon already
    [​IMG]

13. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Then EU fan's can go mad and say the new Revan is not the real Revan or anyone else who's brought back this whole thing needs to be done carefully! and with respect.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Shadowrain10, BobaMatt and spicer like this.
  14. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I think its reasonable to expect that whichever character is re-canonized they won't be 100% the same as in Legends. But it can be done in a way to satisfy long time Legends fans and new ones alike.

Bad example of re-canonizing Legends characters:
    [​IMG]

Good example of re-canonizing Legends characters:
    [​IMG]

Of course, this is my opinion, so some may disagree.

15. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    I did not mind Quinlan vos but i never had a strong attachment with him just at the moment it seems star wars is cool to hate and i hope adding old EU to cannon does not add to the fire of hate! and you know some will hate just to be cool.

Voltron64 and Darkslayer like this.
  16. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    But on the other hand it could get the haters on side which would be great !

17. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    It's impossible to please everyone. There will be people that won't be on board with the canon versions of Legends characters no matter what. I suppose that as long as the reception is mainly positive, then job well done?

Lady_Misty likes this.
  18. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    @lordpixie think you are jumping ahead of yourself by saying that Star Wars is cool to hate now. Just because some hardcore fans didn't care for one movie (and are choosing to post about it endlessly even after people tell them they are tired of it) doesn't mean the franchise is cool to hate. Infact the franchise is at its most popular state it has ever been and the fact that the movie has had such an affect on people proves that.

Shadowrain10 likes this.
  19. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    If Mara Jade comes back I hope we finally get confirmation whether or not she was using Mace Windu's lightsaber crystal.

20. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    Well its not star wars as a whole thats hated by some just the last jedi and the stuff with battlefront 2. me myself i could not be happier with star wars and cant get anuff of it !

21. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Ever since the Inquisitors started appearing with Rebels, especially the Seventh Sister, I wondered if they were going to reveal that one of them was Mara. I still think that if she's ever brought back, that would likely be her most likely backstory.

In all likelihood, I think Pellaeon in Thrawn 2 seems most likely. Maybe with a few other classic Zahn characters. I'd love it if Bel Iblis showed up as one of the leadership on Rebels.

That being said, Revan will unquestionably be back at some point, especially once TOR ends and Lucasfilm starts putting out stuff set pre-TPM.

Darkslayer and Darth_Duck like this.
  22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    You say "once TOR ends", but when is that? Is it showing any signs of ending?

23. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I have no idea since I don't follow the game at all, but I feel fairly certain that Lucasfilm doesn't want to start putting canonical works in the Old Republic era at least partly because TOR is still going strong and they don't want people to get confused by having two works with two different continuities going at the same time in the "long time ago" timeframe.

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Cole Fardreamer.
    Trioculus.
    Plif.
    Odie and Erk.
    Mount Sorrow.
    Plooz.
    Ceasar.

25. DigitalMessiah