main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST After The Last Jedi, who are your top-10 favorite Star Wars characters ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    1) Obi-Wan Kenobi. The chess master orchestrated most of the Skywalker saga as the true opposite to Palpatine in the battle of the hearts and minds of the Skywalker family. A star student of the Jedi Order he gave his entire life to it from start to finish. Very few weaknesses except for his ambition to stop Vader and being willing to lie to Luke to start him on that journey via revenge. That he cared more about winning, and cared so much about it that he was willing to wait 18 years on his bet, makes him my favorite Star Wars character of all time. He's like Michael Jordan. He'll do anything to win in the big picture.

2) Luke Skywalker. Rises above Anakin Skywalker / Darth Vader BECAUSE of The Last Jedi. The Dark Side has called out to EVERY male in the Skywalker family line at some point and each of them have answered it but he is the only one with the control to fight it off and keep it at bay only briefly. Some saw him as perfect and a paper thin character but his weaknesses make him one of the most complex and intriguing protagonists of all time. He's not incredibly smart. He's not incredibly strong. He's as emotional as his father and nephew are just in more of a sulky way than an angry way. He's given up on himself multiple times and even tried killing himself after realizing his father was the enemy that he'd come all this way to fight. But despite all he's been through, and all the times the Dark Side has called out to him, we only know of 2 fleeting moments where he listened and each time he caught himself and then made a choice to do what he thought in that moment was best to to help others. He's guided by his heart and not by his brain and that heart has got him into some tough spots and also saved a lot of lives. In The Last Jedi that choice to stay away and end the Jedi was wrong and he realized it and gave his everything to return and make amends.

3) Anakin Skywalker / Darth Vader. Luke's fleeting moment of darkness helped me to better appreciate the fall of Anakin and Ben Solo. The greatest villain of all time. So much has been written about him that I won't even try.

4) Ben Solo / Kylo Ren. The Supreme Leader is routinely underestimated but he seems to possess several strengths of all of his mentors and family members and when he's focused and makes use of all of those strengths together he's not only magnetic; he's a force to be reckoned with. There's aspects of Anakin / Vader / Luke / Han and Leia in him that combine to make something unique.

5) Palpatine. The chess master of antagonism regarding the Skywalker family and the true opposite of Obi-Wan in the saga in my mind for the hearts and minds of the Skywalkers themselves.

6) Rey. Born into a life where she had to fight to survive, her skills in hand-to-hand combat are more advanced at her age than anyone we've seen in the saga films since Anakin himself. She's the biggest optimist we've seen in Star Wars and that optimism leads itself to tremendous Light side power but that optimism has also finally been revealed as weakness in the form of naivete and Kylo Ren begun to chip away at that and expose some of that optimism she had for her family and also him as a weakness. How will her biggest Light side strength react to these new doubts and weaknesses? I'm looking forward to finding out.

7) Han Solo. The coolest scoundrel with a heart of gold there is. Would be higher if he had more complexity beyond ANH but he sort of plateaus as a character. He's so charismatic and awesome that it doesn't really matter. When you reach those highs plateauing is still better than where most characters peak.

8) Yoda. Arguably the most popular philosopher in North American pop culture history.

9) TIE: R2D2 and BB8 - Whomever thinks dogs are a man's best friend never met these two loyal, passionate, inventive droids.

10) TIE: Leia and Finn - Leia for realizing she wanted to be a leader at a young age and giving her life to her beliefs. Finn for not knowing who he wants to be as a young man but knowing who he definitely doesn't want to be. If Finn is on your side or believes in what you believe in you have somebody who'll give his life for you or your cause.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Jon_Luc_Piccard likes this.
  2. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Any interest in updating?

3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    1. Obi-Wan Kenobi
    2. Yoda
    3. Anakin Skywalker / Darth Vader
    4. Luke Skywalker
    5. Palpatine / Darth Sidious
    6. Ben Solo / Kylo Ren
    7. R2-D2
    8. Chewbacca
    9. Han Solo
    10. Leia Organa

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  4. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    1. Luke
    2. Yoda
    3. Snoke
    4. Han Solo
    5. Praetorian Guards
    6. Holdo
    7. Phasma
    8. Captain Canady
    9. Lor San Tekka
    10. Tallie

why are all my favorites dead?

Ender_and_Bean and Mr. Forest like this.
  5. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    1. Han
    2. Vader
    3. Luke (OT)
    4. Leia
    5. Lando
    6. Obi-Wan (OT)
    7. Cassian
    8. K-2SO
    9. Tarkin
    10. (The promise of) The Knights of Ren

Given your avatar I would have guessed Pava was a shoo in on your list.

DarkGingerJedi and cerealbox like this.
  6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    01 Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader
    02 Luke Skywalker
    03 Obi-Wan Kenobi
    04 Darth Sidious
    05 Padme Amidala
    06 Qui-Gon Jinn
    07 Yoda
    08 Jar Jar Binks
    09 Darth Maul
    10 General Grievous

"11th" Mace Windu, Shmi Skywalker, Jango Fett, Watto, Sebulba, Leia, Han, R2 & 3PO and so many more.

7. ReyRandom

ReyRandom Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2018
    1. Kylo Ren/Ben Solo
    2. Luke Skywalker (he's shot up after TLJ)
    3. Rey
    4. Han Solo
    5. Annakin Skywalker/Darth Vader
    6. Leia Organa
    7. Palpatine
    8. Yoda
    9. BB8
    10. Holdo (Badass sacrifice RIP)

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  8. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    1. Tallie Lintra
    2. Luke Skywalker
    3. Qui-Gon Jinn
    4. Anakin Skywalker
    5. Ben Solo
    6. Ahsoka Tano
    7. Hondo Ohnaka
    8. Obi-Wan Kenobi
    9. Leia Organa
    10. Jyn Erso

9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
  10. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  11. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
  12. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    10- Jabba
    9- OB1
    8- Han Solo
    7- Rey
    6- R2D2
    5- Kylo Ren
    4- Chirrut Îmwe
    3- Qui Gon
    2- Darth Vader
    1- Luke

Since LUKE has been my ultimate hero from 1983 owards, he's got to top the list (and I make no difference between young-Luke and grumpy-Luke.) Despite appearing in EPISODE I only, Qui-Gon remains for me the perfect Jedi Master thanks to Liam Neeson's masterful performance. I have also a special fondness for "Rogue One" Chirrut, for his particular approach to the Force even if it is not completely clear he is using it. Again, what a great acting performance.

13. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    10: Leia
    9: Palpatine / Emperor
    8: Rey
    7: K2-S0
    6: Qui-gon (even though he's kind of boring,I look back fondly of the character)
    5: Yoda
    4: Han
    3: Vader
    2: Obi-wan
    1: Luke

14. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    1. Leia
    2. Anakin
    3. Vader
    4. Han
    5. Qui Gon
    6. Luke
    7. Obi Wan
    8. Chewie
    9. Cassian Andor
    10. Palpatine

15. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    1. R2-D2
    2. BB-8
    3. Anakin/Vader
    4. Luke
    5. Obi-Wan
    6. Rey
    7. Han
    8. Padme
    9. Leia
    10. Chewbacca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    1. Yoda
    2. Vader
    3. Han
    4. Chirrut
    5. Sidious / Palpatine
    6. Obi Wan
    7. Cassian
    8. K2-SO
    9. R2-D2
    10. BB-8

17. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    1. Darth Vader
    2. Luke Skywalker
    3. Leia Organa
    4. Chewbacca
    5 . Han Solo
    6. Artoo-Deetoo
    7. Jabba the Hutt
    8. K2-SO
    9. Palpatine
    10. Chirrut and Baze (they are one with the Force)

nightangel likes this.
  18. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    1: Ahsoka Tano
    2: Obi Wan Kenobi
    3: Ben Solo
    4: Luke Skywalker
    5: Han Solo
    6: Palpatine/Sidious
    7: Ventress
    8: Leia
    9: Rex
    10: Rey

Edit: just saw original post, sorry. I’m keeping this list though, TCW is too integral for me to not include it in a list of favourite characters

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  19. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    10 - Han Solo : putting a great character as Han in the bottom of this top 10 is the best tribute I can make to the greatness of George Lucas' mythology. Han is the classical gunslinger hero in the tradition of Clint Eastwood westerns. He is a great transposition of a tired trope made new again, thanks to great lines, great accessories (a fabulous ship, a fabulous copilot) and an actor that was born to play that part. That kind of character played by an actor of this magnitude is enough to built an entire franchise on him, as it happened with Tony Stark and Jack Sparrow. But, amazingly, Han was only one tiny part in his own monumental saga. Still a joy to see him anyway, and I hope that the Solo movie will add something worthwhile to the character.

9 - Chirrut Inwe :
    when the first trailers for Rogue one came out, I thought that Donnie Yen's character sounded like a stupid concept. The blind man fighting Storm-troopers with a stick without being a proper jedi looked like a lazy kung-fu movie rip-off. It didn't excite me to see the movie at all. But, at the very second that we first heard is voice preaching in the crowded streets of Jedi city, I was entraced by Chirrut. In a few lines, playfully chatting with Jyn, letting us wonder what kind of power resided in him, he had convinced me that - not only did he have a place in the Star wars universe - but that he was going to enhance it considerably. Chirrut gave a great purpose to the midichlorians. He was totaly focused on the Force since his childhood but he didn't became a jedi, because the Force never gave him that talent. His talent was to be a man of faith, one that could follow the will of the Force wherever it would take him, even if he couldn't "see" its effects directly. The fact that he was blind and that he had to live in the dark times only made his quest more relevant. Chirrut is the everyday man's hope to become more, much much more.

8 - Leia :
    it took me a while to realize how much I loved Leia. As a young boy watching the OT on VHS, I didn't care much for the princess that came along for the ride. I apreciated her a lot, that's for sure, and I found her really cool when she strangled Jabba to death, because that evil disgusting slug really deserved to be strangled. Growing up, I gradualy noticed how impressive Leia was, because a lot of female character irritated me in the 80's (for a good example, watch Temple of doom), and Leia never irritated me, even for a second. I liked her. Hell, I even admired her. More than any woman in the cartoons and movies that I watched, more than Tyla, Sarah Connor, or any Disney princess. When I understood that, I was glad to have this girl in my Star wars. And she only got more precious to me as time went by.

7 - Padme :
    Padme is a larger than life heroine. Even more than her amazing daughter, she is the perfect pulp space royalty. At only forteen, she is elected queen of her planet right before a massive invasion. If her first reaction as a naive child is to flee and to seek help from the republic, she realises soon enough that only through her own actions can she hope to make a real difference. Her wisedom and her bravery will be her greatest assets. But her own strenghts won't be enough to face the coming storm. Her wedding with Anakin is like a reward in exchange for sacrificing her youth to democracy. That's also the curse that will destroy her from within. I can see how it is difficult for some people to enjoy Padme as a character since her entire ark is built on her inevitable demise. But seeing her endure all the sadness of the galaxy and loose everything that mattered to her until she finally lost the will to live was an emotional journey that I found well worth taking. Her funeral still gives me goosebumps to this day.

6 - Yoda :
    that character is like a reversed mirror to everything that the dark side represents. He is not impressive in any way, is not seductive, or obviously strong. He looks frail, so old that he probably won't live more than a few months at most. And yet, he is the most powerfull jedi and the wisest being in the universe. Well, at least he becomes the wisest being after his defeat at the hands of the Emperor. The best thing about Yoda is that, even though he could have remained the same in the prequels, Lucas showed us that he was continuously learning. His greatest lessons came to him with the clone wars and the fall of the jedi order. And he wasn't just Luke's amazing mentor because he fitted that archetype. He earned his title.

5 - Emperor Palpatine :
    what a great monster, what a delighfully evil man. Palpatine is a character directly pulled from the writings of William Shakespeare. He is cunning, perverse, cruel, devoided of all humanity, and still he manages to love himself more than anything else. The entire universe could crumble and he wouln't even care, as long as his rule can endure forever. From his introduction as a puppet master ordering around the cowardly neimoidians to his final demise in ROTJ, he remains just as revolting and fascinating to watch.

4 - Obi-wan Kenobi :
    the jedi that put duty over anything else. By loyalty, he took an apprentice that he trained as best as he could, he fought in a war that he never wished for, then he battled against his own pupil, a man that he loved as a brother, all to do the right thing. It could have ended there. But no. Obi-wan went in exile for 20 years to look upon Anakin's son. When the time came, he began his training because he wanted to believe that this time it would be different, and he died to protect the boy and to teach him his greater lesson. Hate is not the way to victoy. What... a... boss.

3 - Luke Skywalker :
    a hero if there ever was one in our culture. What a growth, what a journey he took in three movies... The whiny farmboy, the respected military commander, the troubled apprentice, and finally the great jedi knight. There is no better payoff for the saga (except for Vader's redemption) than Luke throwing his saber away and proclaiming that he is a jedi knight. I didn't understand as a child that violence was not the solution to end wars. Luke taught me that. His sacrifice is the most inspiring of any character in the GFFA, even if he lived to celebrate his victory. I hope to see him again in a movie someday. Too bad that he wasn't in the last one I saw...

2 - Qui-Gon Jinn :
    hardly a surprise when you look at my avatars since I arrived on these boards (a short time after TPM was released). Qui-Gon Jinn is to me the perfect jedi, a man that walked his own path in a time where everyone was lost. The fire of the true jedi order lived in him and in him only for many years. And it was his example that helped Obi-wan and Yoda to become great jedi masters, so they could turn Luke into a compassionate man. Qui-Gon always knew that the prophecy would come true. He always knew that, somehow, Anakin would return. Some might disagree but I never considered that Obi-wan and Yoda wanted Luke to kill Vader. They wanted him to "confront" his father, so he could awake him by his compassion. They didn't tell him that overtly because that was a choice Luke had to make by himself. Even the lines "I can't kill my own father." "Then the Emperor has already won" don't mean that Obi-wan pushes Luke to kill Vader. What he means by that is that if Luke only considers his confrontation with Vader in those terms (kill or be killed), if he deals in absolutes, then Luke can only become a Sith, and so, the Emperor has already won. Qui-Gon is the one that preserved this philosophy so it could finally enlighten Luke and Anakin at the end the saga. The return of the jedi order as a new organisation based on compassion was his triumph.

1 - Anakin Skywalker / Darth Vader
    : that character encapsulates everything Star wars. He's the very reason we're on this board right now, a pop culture icon, a modern mythological figure. Lucas found maybe the best may ever to depict the fall from grace from the naive child to the cynical adult. I'm fascinated by what Anakin and Vader both represent : the noble hero, the dark oppressor, the redeemed father. Pure genius, and a legend that almost everyone of our planet knows about. Star wars is about redemption, now and forever. Because, there is always a path for those who truly want to make a difference, no matter how dark their lifes have been until that point.

May the Force be with you, everyone. ;)

La Calavera, Lost_Hope and yanote like this.
  20. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    1. Obi-Wan
    2. Leia
    3. Rey
    4. Kylo\Ben
    5. Luke
    6. Han
    7. C-3PO
    8. Chirrut
    9. Anakin
    10. Padme

21. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I need more than 10 ! I wrote my top 10 yesterday and noticed I forgot Kylo, Luke, Rey...

I guess it is good that there are too many good characters and I runned out of space :)

22. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    Fun idea!

1. Luke Skywalker
    2. Obi-Wan Kenobi
    3. Wedge Antilles
    4. Han Solo
    5. Leia
    6. R2
    7. K-2SO