main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Lucasfilm Need New Leadership?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Rickleo123, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, both productions of which were portrayed to have gone smoothly.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  2. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Harrison Ford was nearly killed on the set of The Force Awakens. Also, JJ Abrams and Lucasfilm were in major conflict with each other throughout the entire process.

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Nearly killed? He got a broken ankle, an injury far less serious than, say, the one he received while filming Temple of Doom, or the injuries he received when the plane he was piloting crashed.

Citation?

Jedi Knight Fett and DARTH_BELO like this.
  4. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    He was crushed by a hydraulic door. He’s very lucky he only broke his leg.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  5. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    Regardless, Lucasfilm isn’t getting new leadership until the movies start performing poorly at the box office which probably won’t happen any time soon.

Darkslayer likes this.
  6. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    IMO "nearly killed" is kind of a dramatic way to describe what was basically a broken leg. Besides, we're not talking about injuries-which happens all the time in film productions-we're talking about director firings and/or shakeups, massive reshoots of the film, misguided intentions for the final edit, etc. Things that much more drastically affect the outcome of a film.

Secondly this major conflict between JJ and LFL is news to me...Everything I'd seen/heard/read about the production process from all involved with TFA seem to have described it as an enjoyable experience-including JJ himself....?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  7. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003

I liked that you're the one posting this, cos after all we just addressed regarding TFA and TLJ, that thought was basically the whole point of my original post anyways; that as long as the SW franchise is profitable overall, LFL/Disney will not have any desire to change leadership, just based on the production issues from a couple films.

Whoops-double post. Sorry!

8. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    The only thing that could put her in trouble is the shareholders getting sick of her spending. The types of reshoots that were needed for Rogue One and Solo are extremely expensive.

9. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    And pretty much industry standard.

10. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    No they aren’t.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  11. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Yes They Are. Movies have been undergoing re-shoots for years. E.T, Scott Pilgrim, Little Shop of Horrors, and Rocky have all had to reshoot their endings. Back to the Future went through five weeks with a lead before recasting and reshooting those scenes. Jaws, Avengers, and Superman II also had reshoots. These aren't even uncommon in movies outside of Hollywood.

Citations:
    https://screenrant.com/best-movie-reshoots/
    http://www.slashfilm.com/reshoots/

12. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    Reshoots are common, the Rogue One and Solo reshoots are not common.

Darkslayer likes this.
  13. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    What, exactly, makes them so uncommon as to warrant some kind of intense concern?

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    KK should stay right where she is

So far out of all 3 films, I have loved them and the fact that she is willing to do what must be done when it comes to directors is very good.

15. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    the level of reshoots for R1 seems at least more and more common nowadays. But if reports are to be believed, almost 80% of Solo was reshot, and they also still have further reshoots coming up soon. Of course that is due to the issue with the director firing, but if true, that does seem excessive, really.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think that shows more of just how bad the last directors were at getting the Star Wars feel and less to do with KK or the leadership at Lucasfilm.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  17. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Considering Ron Howard is essentially recreating the movie from scratch? Not really. I will say it's really weird that L&M got as far into production as they did before getting the boot, leading to the unprecedented amount of reshoots needed.

18. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Now THAT I agree with.

I've been saying from the beginning-as long as SW is making $ as it has been, KK will not be going anywhere. In fact I agree with one of your previous posts; I like that KK is not too squeamish to make big decisions like that in order to ensure a film's success. TBH I don't understand why so many people doubt that Solo will be good, cos after all the shifting that was done during production for Rogue One, that film turned out fantastic! We have no reason to doubt the process at this point, based solely on the films that have come out thus far.

AndyLGR and Outsourced like this.
  19. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
  20. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Interesting to consider this now in the context of Solo’s disappointing opening weekend.

For my part, while I have loved all of the Disney era films individually, I think they have been very disjointed. I am not seeing the bigger picture in the universe.

We know KK can produce films - she has done that very successfully for her entire career. But can she lead and oversee the SW brand? Jury very much still out on that one.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What I think their takeaway should be is—at least a year between each film with a Celebration or some sort of big promotion. It was harder for them to promote this one, or they put less effort into it, coming only five months after TLJ.

22. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    *looking at solo and its result*
    Not even surprised. Soon Bob will come to the realization that the only way to release the steam will be Kennedy' firing.

23. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    The damage has already been done. They desperately need new leadership to guide the franchise. The current strategy of treating SW like the MCU and cranking out endless movies has only devalued the SW brand.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  24. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I still, firmly, believe that KK won't be fired. Even if Solo totally busts at the box office.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Disney wants them to crank out a movie per year. That won’t change no matter who is in charge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.