main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Upcoming canonization of Legends characters

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    I think there is a wider initiative to bring some Legends stuff back. They made a black line series figure for Jaina, they sell an Imperial guard pack at Disneyland that has Imperial a Shadow guards in them (though I have no idea what story those are from) they are marked as (Legends) on the box. Also an E-Wing can be seen in a hangar in a new Issue of Poe Dameron.

I think they were waiting for TLJ to come out and now that they revealed whatever they needed to about what happened after ROTJ creators can now inject back some old characters and concepts. At least that is my hope and wish.

If Disney is reading this I will spend a hell of a lot more on Star Wars material if some of the Legends stuff got re-canonized. I bought the Thrawn novel and Rebels season 3 season pass as soon as they became available and will be doing the same for the Thrawn comic adaptation.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    the Imperial Shadow Guard are from The Force Unleashed

3. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    My top two would be Ysanne Isard and Zsinj. Isard because using the Krytos virus on Coruscant just screams operation cinder to me, and Zsinj because I think he would make a very interesting antagonist for the early New Republic while still being in line with the NUCanon Empire surrendering after the battle of Jakku.

Dr. Steve Brule and Captain RX like this.
  4. Captain RX

Jul 30, 2014
    Isard especially needs to come back. They already introduced her father in Tarkin!

5. Captain RX

Jul 30, 2014
    I googled them but they don’t really look like the figure being sold at Disneyland. The figure looks much more like the normal red guards just in all black. The one in the game has like chrome armor on and looks considerably different.

6. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    I'm hoping for Bastilla Shan!

7. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Isard - her father is already mentioned in Tarkin.

Pellaeon - an easy candidate for Thrawn 2.

Mara - I agree with the point about her being an Inquisitor in Rebels (and momentarily thought she might have been in the Season 2 finale).

Talon Karrde and Booster - fun characters I see no harm in including.

I don't quite agree with the notion of "New canon, so let's bring in new characters". For people that didn't read Legends, regardless of whether the character is named the same as a Legends character it makes no difference to their experience, but it enriches those of us who did read Legends. There's literally no downside (unless they maul the character of course).

Dr. Steve Brule and spicer like this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]

9. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    No offense guys and gals, but I think there’s some bias here in what is termed to be a “major” or “important” EU character, as well as what those characters were known for.

Most people here were deeply involved and invested in the EU. Because of that, there’s a disconnect those people have distorted ideas about the notoriety or popularity of certain characters compared to non-EU fans.

I was not a big Star Wars fan before TFA came out. Like most non-die-hard fans, I was only tangentially aware of the EU. As such, I can tell you who the really notable EU figures were that even I had heard of:

• Revan, the protagonist of KOTOR with that badass mask.
    • Thrawn, that cool, genius admiral with blue skin who led the Empire for a time.
    • Mara Jade, who was an assassin at first and then Luke’s wife (sorry guys and gals, but we have to be honest here. Outside of EU fans, Mara was mainly known for her relationship to Luke Skywalker. It’s not insulting to say this, it’s a simple truth that, as someone who was never really into the EU, I can confirm.)
    Personally, I think Revan is the most likely to be recanonized. It almost happened several times already, and he’s far enough removed from the ongoing storylines that they wouldn’t have to worry about bumping into stuff.

In a world with infinite creative resources, sure. But in our more finite reality, every Legends character reintroduced is essentially a potential new character gone, even worse if said reintroduced character is given books, comics, etc. That is the downside, and I don’t think you can really dispute that.

Don’t misunderstand me, I’m not against a few recanonized characters here and there, Thrawn was definitely a good addition to the new canon. However, I don’t want to see potentially novel concepts thrown away for the sake of fanservice, which will inevitably happen if these long lists of dozens of characters to recanonize are realized.

10. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I absolutely dispute that. This notion of finite resources is an odd one. In the hypothetical scenario where you have a popular character such as Mara Jade, or you can create a new character who would basically follow her trajectory, why go the latter? Mara's character would be altered slightly, just like any EU character re-canonized, as Thrawn was, so there's literally no downside.

Dr. Steve Brule and spicer like this.
  11. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The NuCanon timeline honestly doesn't work well for either Thrawn or Mara's stories.

As it is my attitude is "let the dead dwell in peace"

Lady_Misty likes this.
  12. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    What.

No, it’s not odd, it’s a fact. Limited number of writers, limited cash to pay them, limited amount of content that can be released simultaneously (to prevent competition), so on and so forth.

Because you’re assuming that the resources used to simply retell Mara Jade in the new canon would instead be used for a Mara Jade rip-off. This is an incredibly incorrect assumption.

It’s not that they’d create a character “like Mara Jade but not Mara Jade”, it’s that they’d create a new character that is entirely different from Mara Jade and has their own trajectory. That’s what people like me want.

It’s fine to reuse old ideas from time to time, but we need new things too. And when you use most of your resources on fanservice and nostalgia, new ideas are crowded out.

13. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Hmmm...
    Pelly or Karrde pop up in Thrawn 2: Electric Bluegaloo
    Shug Ninx, Salla Zend, Roa, Bollux/Blue Max, Mako Spince and/or Gallandro get mentioned in the Solo: Visual Guide or other Solo tie-ins
    A big green bunny in the background in Solo
    Action Jaxxon comic

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Daneira likes this.
  14. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I'm referring to resources in a character sense. Having Mara in a story does not preclude other characters.

Is it fanservice? Or is it restoring the best elements of what was already an expansive story, discarding the poorer elements, to build a cohesive universe with the best elements of both?

Lady_Misty likes this.
  15. Captain RX

Jul 30, 2014
    Disney is a business and popular EU characters recanonized are potentially worth more in the long run then the risk of introducing a new character that probably won’t take off.

spicer and Xander Vos like this.
  16. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    This entire post is just, like, wrong. Cbf explaining why though

Xander Vos likes this.
  17. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    What parts of the EU are "poor" is subjective.

As it is nostalgia is Disney's main marketing tool.

And personally I just want to let EU characters and not be made into hackneyed or poor shadows of their original incarnations(which Thrawn in Rebels is in my opinion).

18. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    You could say that of any character in any kids cartoon ever.

19. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Characters I want back:
    Voolvif Monn, Roron Corobb, Foul Moudama, Tycho Celchu, Gavin Darklighter, Inyri Forge, Aril Nunb, Ooryl Qrygg, Corran Horn, Mirax Terrik, Iella Wessiri, Anakin Solo (because he was my favourite Solo child), Lowbacca, Kam Solusar, Cilghal and Tekli.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm sorry. :(

Of course. What's daft is the notion that, if Mara can't or won't be Luke's wife in the NU, she has nothing else to offer.

One might as well ponder what the point in Doctor Aphra is if she's not going to marry Luke.

A new take on Revan probably will be introduced at some point, yes.

But not as a "he" this time.

And, GOLLY, am I looking forward to that mountain of salt.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  21. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    I wonder where are they going to recanonize these characters, since the quantity of novels per annum is at an absolute low.

Xander Vos likes this.
  22. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    No it's not.

23. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Er, every year on that list has at least three novels. 2018 has 2: the TLJ novelization and Thrawn 2.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Look at 2017.

There will likely be just as many. They just haven't been announced yet.

25. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    It's . . . still . . . January . . . ?