main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Maz Kanata in Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by woj101, Dec 15, 2017.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    The entire film was about the Resistance being on their own. And that no one answered their distress call.

Maz's small scene served three reasons.

1. To show that she was still alive

2. To show why she was too busy to answer their later distress call. Even though Maz would want to help.

3. Kick off the code breaker plot

2. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Really useless and nonsensical.

- As stated Poe knowing Maz and how to locate her is convenient at best and contrived.
    - It was just so random to call Maz to see how to get into a ship. Why not ask Chewie?, or BB8?, or have Rose know it, just like Fin all of the sudden became a pilot
    - So Maz also acts as a union negotiator or something, We've not seen or heard of the unions (other than in the PT), so knowing that she's busy seems pointless.
    - Maz did not engage with the Resistance or the FO (in TFA) and seemed to be ok having both Resistance and FO sympathizers at her bar. So he was presented as a "neutral". Then the FO destroyed her livelihood and what does she do?, she doesn't join the fight but goes off to argue with unions?, really?

Again what a waste of such a talented actress and a potential for an interesting character.

You know, Maz and Phasma are for the comics and new books I guess.

3. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    She could go with Finn and Rose in Canto Bight, ow, CB it's the moments of the movie that could be better written.

4. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    This complaint in particular doesn't make sense to me. TFA heavily suggests that Maz is very familiar to Leia and the Resistance, so the better question is, why wouldn't Poe know her?

Also, the "union dispute" line cracks me up every single time.

5. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    The best part about the Union dispute line is that it could be taken literally as some kind of strange organized crime union thing that relates to her businesses or just her cracking a joke like “What does it look like I’m doing? I’m in a fight here.”

It’s the same reason I love the Porg joke Rian wrote where Chewie wants to eat the succulent Porg roast he has and the little Porgs keep shaming him. It’s funny different ways.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  6. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Is Maz's cameo a bit superfluous? Yes.
    Is it an actual detriment to the film? No.

7. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    C-3PO is the one that knows how to get in contact with Maz.

That's why he's in the room with Poe, Rose and Finn when they call her.

8. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Maz was being built up (in the boards), to be this Yoda 2.0 that will share some arcane Force knowledge to Rey because she's lived 1000 years or so.

So I was glad to see that all she was was a cameo.

9. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    inb4 the obligatory headcanon jab.

10. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Didn't think she added anything to the story in TLJ. Unsure why that scene was needed versus some more flashback/conversation to explain exposition of how ROTJ galaxy changed into TFA galaxy?

Also would like to see Maz actually explain how she came upon Luke/Anakin's lightsaber. That would have been more useful.

11. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Why?, Luke tossed the LS away. Then it got destroyed. Whatever secret box or twist Jar-Jar had for the LS, it was rendered meaningless by RJ. The LS is nothing and means nothing.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  12. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    The scene served three purposes:

1. Showed that Maz survived the events of TFA.

2. That Maz was too busy to answer Leia's distress call at the end of TLJ

3. So we could have exposition of the master codebreaker and Canto Bight before they were shown

13. Kladdagh

Kladdagh Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 9, 2017
    As it was said before ...
    MAZ is useless in TLJ ... I don't understand why she is in the movie ... pointless ...

14. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    1. There was nothing in TFA that implied she didn't survive.

2. I don't think anyone would have expected Maz to be the one to answer, seeing as how it was never implied that she had an army or heavy weaponry or anything.

3. Another character could have easily provided that information.

15. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    If it had been another character, then everyone would be complaining about this random character showing up. In TFA, Max clearly indicated sympathy for the resistance. So she ran a bar that also welcomed FO sympathizers...big deal. That just makes her character seem even wilder.

So it is natural to me that she would be a point of call for the resistance. I had assumed she knew Poe from earlier adventures, but the comment about C3-PO makes it an even bigger no-brainer.

cerealbox likes this.
  16. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    What I don't get is Maz is shown not to be a physical fighter in TFA. Her entire castle, her entire life (including some precious artifacts like lightsabers apparently) is destroyed by the FO and she doesn't fight back, just hides away while the others fight. She even has a lightsaber in her hand but chooses to give it to Finn instead of using it herself.

And yet in TLJ she's got a gun and is fighting (and enjoying fighting) in a "union dispute".

It's like she was a different character.

Maz's scene in TLJ takes place probably 3-4 days after her home is blown to smithereens BTW.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    -LordSkywalker- and Darth Smurf like this.
  17. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Maz is a retired space pirate.

There's a difference in fighting people she's used to, in union disputes. Than fighting a First Order army.

18. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Felt like a scene from TMNT.

Put in another context, what if Anakin after jumping out the window to chase Padme's assassin then took a telephone call.

"Oh don't mind me. Just falling 245 storeys to my death. Sure. Plenty of time to talk. It's a long drop. ..I'd be very interested in talking about how to maximise my internet plan".

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  19. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Where in TFA was it established that she's a retired space pirate? And if she's retired then why is she fighting union battles?