main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    So Ford recently received (or is going to receive) the latest version of the script, and he says he hopes to start this towards the latter half of 2018. I can't recall the name, but there was another project Ford was attached to for some time, but it looks it's been removed from IMDb; there hasn't been much official word on whatever that project was, so I assume it's no longer happening, which means Ford's availability is pretty open.

I think this project is basically dependent on Spielberg's schedule. He is busy finishing up The Post and Ready Player One, so I would imagine he'll probably take a break during early 2018? Then what? Is he going to shoot Indy, or instead The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara, or perhaps something else?

I'd really like for Indy V to shoot as soon as possible.

2. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    That must have been what I had in mind yes, the prologue from The Last Crusade. I would prefer them to attempt something like this, with the main quest story set in the 1930's.

I think they will do a 1950's / 1960's set adventure though.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

With a July 2020 release date, I'd really expect Spielberg to go off and shoot another movie before he even starts Indy V.

4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    If they go the route of doing a young Indy type of thing (like the prologue to LC, as mentioned before), I wonder who they'd have playing Young Indy. It would be really weird if they used Alden again, but even weirder IMO if they had a 2nd actor playing Harrison Ford's character!

5. GunganSlayer

Jan 24, 2013
    Latest updates:

http://deadline.com/2018/01/steven-...est-side-story-directing-vehicles-1202262857/

This is somewhat promising news, as it seems to suggest that Indiana Jones 5 is at the top of preferred projects that Spielberg would like to tackle next, although apparently a remake of West Side Story (ugh) is also up there. As a reminder, Lucasfilm recently pushed back Indiana Jones 5 from July 2019 to July 10, 2020.

Deadline continues to push its story of Chris Pratt taking over, and while I'm not entirely against the idea, I would prefer one final adventure with Ford in the primary role.

Inevitably, a new actor will one day play Indiana Jones. When that time comes, I just hope they don't remake the previous films, but rather tell further adventures of Indy set within the current universe of films. There's absolutely no need to remake those films.

6. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Can Spielberg just direct more historical dramas instead?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  7. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    When you get down to the simple logic of it -- actually think it through -- recasting Indiana Jones instead of simply writing new adventure heroes under the "Raiders" banner makes no damn sense whatsoever.

8. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...-actors-his-remake-1078559?utm_source=twitter

Steven Spielberg has begun the casting process for new screen adaptation of the Broadway musical West Side Story, which the 71-year-old filmmaker will tackle after he first shoots a new Indiana Jones movie.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Spielberg plans to shoot what would be the fifth Indy installment in 2019 with a goal of having it released in 2020.

DARTH_BELO and GunganSlayer like this.
  9. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    David Koepp is attached for the screenplay.
    I wish they would bring Larry Kasdan back.

DARTH_BELO and Howard Hand like this.
  10. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Kasdan did do a polish for Indy and Marion's dialogue in KotCS so he could certainly come back on again. I would very much like for him to do so.

Darth-Seldon likes this.
  11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Christoph Waltz as the villain please and thank you.

Gobi-1 likes this.
  12. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    So I don't know much on this Indy 5 situation yet...So have there been any rumors or hints at all on what the story will involve?

Forgive my ignorance if this is posted elsewhere and I missed it...

13. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    None so far.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  14. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Interesting. Well, with it coming out in just two years, and it sounding like production will be ramping up sometime late this year/early next year-I imagine we might find out at the very least a title or even the MacGuffin for the story not long after Solo is released. SDCC '18 perhaps? Or perhaps a title or something at D23? Sounds possible to me....

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Ordinarily I would totally agree with this BUT he was awful in Bond. That being said - Maybe it was the execution... He is a great actor [face_peace]

Darth-Seldon likes this.
  16. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I loved Waltz in Spectre (my two cents) but he may have gone to the villain well a few times to many so he may be too on the nose, same goes for Mark Strong. I would however put money on Mark Rylance being in Indy 5 as either an ally or villain.

Just speculating I think an initial cast could be:

Harrison Ford - Indiana Jones
    Karen Allen - Marion Ravenwood Jones
    John Rhys-Davies - Sallah
    Jim Broadbent - Charles Stanforth
    Mark Rylance - ???

After their successful pairing in Blade Runner 2049 I would like to see Ryan Gosling fill the role of a younger hero who helps Indy. He could be a student or fellow professor at Marshall College.

mJedi775 likes this.
  17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Not awful, just rather bland.

Avnar likes this.
  18. GunganSlayer

Jan 24, 2013
    Latest update from Variety:

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/steven-spielbergs-west-side-story-1202722086/

Seems that Spielberg had a top secret table read with top talent of a script that's described as a biopic of famous film composer Leonard Bernstein. Coincidentally, Bernstein was the composer for West Side Story, a project that Spielberg has been working on remaking. It's not known who participated due to NDAs.

The article seems pretty confident that Spielberg's next film is Indiana Jones V, and that it will commence filming in early 2019. With Ready Player One about to hit theaters, the piece mentions that Spielberg will take the rest of 2018 to rest and prep his next two projects: Indiana Jones V, and another unknown film. It could be the West Side Story remake, or this new Bernstein biopic.

I haven't heard much on Harrison Ford's front in terms of rumored or upcoming projects, so it could very well be that this will be his next film.

We will probably hear official news about Indy at some point this year, as it looks to target early 2019 for filming.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  19. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Indy 5 just seems to be taking forever to come around. Yet KOTCS is ten years old in a couple of months time and thats flown by.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Anybody drill Spielberg for information on the press tours for The Post or Ready Player One?

21. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Apparently at the Empire awards he announced that he intends to shoot it in the UK next year.

22. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    April 2019 is when it starts shooting in the UK is what he said.

Gobi-1 likes this.
  23. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I want nothing more than for Spielberg and Ford to go out on a high note with this film.

GunganSlayer likes this.
  25. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    So... This movie is actually happening??