main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Hope there is no water in that bathtub, or you have plugged that laptop out of the wall; otherwise, that is how people get electrocuted.

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
  3. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    [face_nail_biting]I am scared for you!

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Yeah - that incident is clearly scarier than what I am writing. :(

I just checked the torture limit (not that I plan to write torture!) and I came across this:
    https://snag.gy/JTxRIQ.jpg

Basically the same thing, just on a different topic. :) And probably meaningful to the story, too.

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    @Ewok Poet, I guess I’m not completely sure I know what you’re asking here. For my own part, if I feel an author has done a good job elsewhere making the characters (of whatever species) and their relationship relatable and believable, if I feel invested in them and their relationship, and if things are tastefully depicted and TOS-friendly, then yes, I would take a scene like that seriously. The ultimate metric for me is not whether the characters are Human or not but my own relationship to the story and to them, if that makes sense. Again, I hope I’m understanding things aright.

Also, I have a discussion question/topic in mind that I’d like to pitch to this thread at some point—is there a procedure for doing that (e.g., checking with the mods), or can we just throw things out there?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    How do you mean, @Findswoman? If it's something I feel iffy about, I usually just PM the scene to a mod and ask for a ruling. Do you mean for a more general discussion? I confess, @Ewok Poet, I'm not all sure what you're talking about, particularly re: furniture? Sex or torture? :confused:

Findswoman likes this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The earlier. As per Finds' post, "tastefully depicted and TOS-friendly".

Findswoman likes this.
  8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    If I think I understand what you are asking: does torture seem more serious to a human rather than a non-human?
    I think so long as the species is sentient it would seem very serious, not that it wouldn't to a non-sentient species, because it would be. But there may be that extra level of something if the sentient is being tortured because they get the psychological aspect as well (why are they being tortured, thoughts of coming torture, etc.).

I write in the bathtub all the time, you don't need a laptop to do that. A tablet, phone or heck, I've written with a pen and a small notebook in the bath before! I'm pretty sure most adults are aware that anything plugged in and a tub full of water is a bad thing.

You can just throw it out there, no need to check. :)

9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I write in the bathtub all the time, you don't need a laptop to do that. A tablet, phone or heck, I've written with a pen and a small notebook in the bath before! I'm pretty sure most adults are aware that anything plugged in and a tub full of water is a bad thing.

EP specifically said she was typing that post in the bathtub, which for me, discounted paper and pen.

10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I would like to apologise to @Findswoman, @mavjade and @Mistress_Renata for having gone all progressive and then beating around the bush. I shall rewrite my post to make it more clear. :)

In one of my Ewok stories, I had a whole romantic chapter, that took from December 2014 to June 2014 to write. I basically pulled a "The Rocker Chair", as per example listed in Fanfic FAQ, it's just that the roles of the characters in the scene were reversed and since they're furry sentients, there was no coat involved. :p It probably scar(r)ed some lurkers for life, but it was very primal, in character for my canon OTP, and therefore important. And I got good feedback for that chapter. :)

Well, now I need to do that again, the same scene, but with two Humans, in a different story, for political and sociological reasons. Not even kidding, not looking for an excuse, it's vital to character's development and general lack of knowledge/cluelessness. Then it becomes somewhat of a motif, but it's never given the spotlight again. It's not exploitative in any way - it's not a romantic scene for the sake of a romantic scene, it's nothing that should get people in the mood (yikes, please no!) or attention-seeking.

The thing is - I am not a "bonus content" kind of a person, the only thing I ever censored was obvious swearing in my Jar Jar as the absolute lord and master AU, as it borrowed elements from the infamous 30 Hs and I had to name Harry Potter's alleged guitar SOMEHOW. The guitar became "Kriffslayer" instead of "****slayer" and a couple of nonsensical bouts of F-bombs were reduced to *beep*. And then I forgot to fix that for AO3 and FF.net and insert those F-bombs there.

What I have drafted (this won't be posted before the Summer) for this chapter of mine is absolutely tasteful. No graphic descriptions, no IKEA, no smut in any way. I rely on what happens in the POV character's mind and how the characters FEEL, but anybody older than twelve - unless they were clueless like I was at their age - will pretty much figure out what's up, the same way as in The Rocker Chair. In fact, mine is actually tamer than the FAQ example.

So, I was wondering if, well, stuff, looks more serious to people if the characters are Humans?! Or the other way round? Do you find it tacky when the characters are Humans or when they're aliens? Do you find it tacky either way? Or, well, never?

And yeah, I don't want to torture Obi-Wan. :D No such ambitions here, nope.

11. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    I’m assuming that by “stuff” you mean “sex”, but I’m not sure what you mean about it “looking more serious”.

As far as tackiness, I don’t think species matters. It’s more the way it is presented that makes a sex scene come off as tacky—being graphic or overly descriptive to the point of ewww, cutesy or nauseating euphemisms, random sex that just happens for no,reason other than to bump up a story’s “sexy quota”—those are the kind of things that strike me as tacky and may make me either skip the scene, or the whole story if it’s really bad. If it’s a well-written relationship and the characters have genuine feelings for one another, I don’t care what species they are.

Phasmus, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Sorry, what is IKEA? You don't explain the acronym on either post.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    In this case, I believe it refers to a certain mechanical “insert tab A into slot B” mentality of writing sex scenes.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Raissa Baiard likes this.
  16. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    “insert tab A into slot B” I wonder if it's Scandinavian precision or something like that, because LEGOs are the same perfectly milled things like IKEA furniture, never any sloppy wobbles, too shallow slots, too big tabs, or unsanded edges ... [face_plain]@};-

Ewok Poet likes this.
  17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Looks like I scared people. But yeah...

...has anybody ever invented their own GFFA mental illness? I'm toying with this idea, by combining a bunch of RL ones and adding some supernatural stuff.

18. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Not mental illness but I have definitely come up with my own GFFA brain diseases by doing something similar.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Since I can't recall seeing them, I'm curious!

20. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Off the top of my head, I know I've given Luke Skywalker Alzheimer's-like diseases in my very early truncated stuff (and now that I'm remembering, some of it might not have even made it here). But I know I did it in my 2014 Diary - it combined both real-world symptoms and Force-related stuff.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  21. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I invented a type of spice addiction, which is both a mental and a physical illness. Created the symptoms, the treatment, the side effects of said treatment. Does that help?

I think you can create whatever the heck you want.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Phasmus and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Yup, precisely the kind of a thing I need, for starters.

23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I was going to draw attention to the Loedavarian Brain Plague, but that kills too quickly to meet the mental illness requirements.

24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Just re-watched the Roon arc of Droids, because I needed to straighten out some details for my epic. I enjoyed it very much, the cautionary tale about greed is the sort that resonates with kids and adults alike. Not to mention that I find it superior to the other two arcs. And it's not only because Mungo Baobab is cute and Auren Yomm is badass! ;)

Anyway, I came up with "Roon event horizon" when I first drafted some stuff in 2015. Now I see that it must've been my invention, as there's nothing in the cartoon that boldly suggests there being one. Am I thinking about some sort of a twilight zone here? O_O

And an "event horizon" is definitely not the turning point from the light to the dark side of a planet and back. What the heck was I writing?

This will need minor adjustments.

Found some cool stuff while doing my research...
    https://www.quora.com/Can-tidally-l...e-moons-orbit-around-both-faces-of-the-planet
    https://worldbuilding.stackexchange...e-twilight-zone-be-on-a-tidally-locked-planet
    https://worldbuilding.stackexchange...a-twilight-world-around-a-red-dwarf-star?rq=1

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Findswoman and pronker like this.
  25. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    I recently started a vignette to explore a characer study of a person with autism in a GFFA really just to see if I could make it believable and to see if I could do justice to the topic. I got the opening bit done just need to finish the conclusion to give the character a bit more depth.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.