main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Official "List Your Complaints about Rogue One" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by BretHart, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Unit51

Unit51 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    I'm most bothered by some of the manufactured tension/danger. The two brightest examples I can give are the TIE fighter shooting out the gantry while Jyn is trying to realign the dish and when Bodhi gets the cable to the comm unit caught up.
    First we see the TIE swoop in from the other side of the battle just to put Jyn in some kind of danger? I know it's pretty minor but it bugs me. Then we see Bodhi get the cable stuck between two objects that we know he DID NOT JUST WALK BETWEEN. I rolled my eyes at that one the first viewing. It just seemed so lazy when they could have just made the cable too short and that could have been more humorous.

2. mirrorbright

mirrorbright Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2016
    That was also my dad's complaint about the movie, too :p (the only thing he didn't like).
    And I have to agree - it should've been... at least 10 minutes longer.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Avnar likes this.
  3. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Not a lot i can find wrong with the film. Vader was not overused. The characters were well developed considering the world they inhabit which was well developed for the first time and the use of the models from the Classics did a fine job. I also felt not having the opening scroll set it apart from all the others.

Avnar and LordDallos like this.
  4. Darth Vain

Darth Vain Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2016
    CGI humans. Tarkin bad; Leia awful - it isn't close to working. I can't believe their efforts were even state of the art at the time. In particular, they really need to work on the characters mouths when they're talking.

Not really a complaint, but the Vader-Obi Wan fight in Ep4 was put down to their ages by some. Now after seeing Vader in R1 it makes it look like he was taking it easy on Obi Wan. Now all we can do is imagine he over exerted himself at the climax of R1 - maybe put his back out.:)

Palp_Faction likes this.
  5. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016
    Vader was quite strong in Rogue One. The presence of his former master was a disturbance in the force in ANH and yet Vader was still able to corner Obi Wan and provide him with no exit strategy. The battle was far less dramatic as both of them were watching each other very carefully. Vader had matured since his last encounter into a Sith Lord while Obi Wan showed no signs of being decrepit. Yoda would say your eyes can deceive you so both were very cautious in the fight.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  6. BoulderFaceplant

BoulderFaceplant Jedi Knight

Dec 20, 2017
    A lot of makeup worn by human characters. I’m not talking about the ones who wore it because it was part of their culture/upbringing. I’m talking about the lead characters in particular. It was obvious and distracting. Why would they care about their looks if they’re part of this hardened resistance?

Tarkin getting enough screen time to make his CGI face obvious. He looked perfect when he was just staring out the window and grinning at the Death Star’s destructive capability. That should’ve been the only shot of his face.

ZodaEX likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That I can't see it in theaters again.

JeeediMoriah and Avnar like this.
  8. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Really? I mean the film does still operate in somewhat of a heighted reality but the characters to me do seem to fit their roles within that style. Casting Jones to play a character 10 years younger as well I think was very effective as well as she has some age to her face that fits with the characters background, this film obviously looks to exploit this as well using a lot of harsh single point lighting from the side or below.

[​IMG]

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    They're not technically "human" in the "from Earth" sense. Maybe eyeliner is a genetic trait. :p

Mostly Handless and moreorless12 like this.
  10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    -The people in the city fighting the Empire looked too similar to Afghan warriors
    -The dude with the stick looked too similar to a Tibetan Monk
    -That stick was way too effective against the Stormtroopers considering that, well, it was just a stick.

It was a nice movie though.

Snafu55 likes this.
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This was included to set up how the Ewoks overthrew the Empire's entire "best legions" of Stormtroopers, later.

12. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    This. Also - having the names and descriptions of planets/worlds, the different feel of the soundtrack - all this added to it all feeling - not like a SW movie - but it still being VERY MUCH a SW movie. Absolutely love it, and hope the Solo movie follows the same formula. No opening scroll, planet names, darker, grittier etc. It will have more humor in it than RO though, as that is the nature of Han's character.

Avnar likes this.
  13. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    So, Im guessing you have issues with Carrie Fisher/Leia in ANH - bright red lipstick, all sorts of make-up? Just asking.

ZodaEX likes this.
  14. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    If you were talking say a modern war film aiming for ultra realism that that would be too much makeup but really your still talking about something that works within an elevated reality, albeit more down to earth than some Starwars films so a bit of eye shadow isn't distracting to me.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  15. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016
    Seemed to me like new age of Star Wars. It felt really Star Wars in parts with the old characters, Darth Vader behaving like Vader and adventurism and all those puns and also very new. Emphasising the role of the Rebel Alliance and not just the Jedi Knights. Have to say seeing the battles in Jedha & Scarif were on another league from the others. The footage of the city with Star Destroyer over it was an amazing feet to behold in the cinema.

Han Solo and Obi Wan Kenobi turn out to be more like Rogue one than The Force Awakens i will be very satisfied and defo go to the cinema to see.

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Every time I rewatch the Onderon arc of TCW since R1 I'm reminded of my only real complaint about the movie; Saw's character. There was so much potential that was left out. I know his appearance in Rebels added a little background story; but I remembered hoping in the months before the video release that there would be deleted scenes involving Saw's background included. No such luck :(

JeeediMoriah and Darth Dnej like this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    We did not see that Tie fighter vs Jyn showdown.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I remember being blown away by that trailer ending. Woah. How is she going to get out of this mess? Or is it someone good? Etc.

Avnar likes this.
  19. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    While it is not my favorite Star Wars movie, it is the Star Wars movie I have the least complaints about! My only big complaint is I don't really like the last shot of Leia. I just feel it looks fake and for some reason not as good as Tarkin. I also sort of wish that at least one of our main heroes survived.

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    We didn't see that shot from the trailer, right. But I think the earlier point was about the TIE Striker that tried to blow up the walkway when she was trying to get back from doing the dish alignment.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I heard somewhere that, that Tie Fighter vs Jyn was actually just for the trailer, but that does not make any sense.

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I remember hearing that too. I thought it kind of made sense, though, because they do create shots just for trailers sometimes.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yet this shot would have required more then just your average shot.

24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    True, but including it would have meant pretty big changes for that scene that maybe didn't get filmed in the first place... that TIE would either have to be shot down by an X-wing (and it's hovering so close to her that that would be dangerous to Jyn), or it would have to be piloted by a rebel who stole it somehow.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I did not think of that. It was most likely apart of the reshoot cut.