main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Do you like the new canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ssi-Ruuk, Nagai and Tof as well in the EU.

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Until Voyager turned them into a joke with the crew beating them every week [face_waiting]

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, but Star Trek: Destiny restored the Borg to full super-bastard status.

4. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Yeah, but destiny was also the borg's swan song. You can't be used again after you go full Mass Effect invasion Reaper.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Destiny was Trek's equivalent of the NJO really-massive invasion combined with redemption/rehabilitation of the invaders with the Caeliar standing in for Zonama Sekot.

As for Narnia-in the seventh book the calormenes invade with the help of the ape Shift. It's basically Narnia's version of the Book of Revelation in that there is an anti Christ figure, last battle(hence the name), the saints go to heaven, and the world as it is-ends.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Also Trek really succeeded on following through on the consequences of Destiny.

7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Indeed the Typhon Pact was very much a result of the Borg invasion and had(and has had) lasting consequences in the Trek novelverse.

The NJO did not. To be sure the IU situation was somewhat different after all the GFFA is much bigger than the AQ and BQ but it was established Coruscant would be uninhabitable. As well as other things were set up in TUF that were not in any reasonable way continued.

Legacy did the best with what it had.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    DNT did follow Lomi Plo, Welk and Raynar. Survivors of Myrkr. The Mind-meld had after-effects.
    LOTF showed the Mando's finding a beskar vein or whatever it was from the battle of Mandalore. Corellia could have been dis-satisfied with the actions of the GA during DNT (the first crisis since the NJO series ended),
    FOTJ had the kids from Shelter and Luke and Ben following Jacen's path.
    X-Wing Mercy Kill had Scut.

9. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I remember double-taking when everyone was on Coruscant like normal in LOTF

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    True however those were mostly ancillary to the main plot. The Mandalore thing for example is interesting from a worldbuilding POV but it wasn't really key to LOTF

11. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    So apologies if I start a fight with this buuuuuuuuuut...

Why do many people expect the new canon's "happy ending override" (to use the TVTropes term) to be more total/permanent than any that came before it? I'm not saying you're necessarily WRONG to have this opinion; I've even thought of it myself, but when you step back and look at it, is it really? If the Legends New Republic can bounce back from...

* Having to fight the Empire for fifteen more years.
    * Capital conquered by space bondage Aztecs.
    * Being turned fascist by THIS continuity's crazy-ass Organa-Solo spawn.
    * Having a war criminal and then a literal Lovecraftian abomination in the Chancellor's chair.
    * Being conquered by the Sith AGAIN 100 years later

...then why is it so hard to believe the Galaxy can recover from the First Order?

12. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    A bit of stability?

Seriously EU Luke actually managed to bring back the Jedi, came across multiple other Force cultures (Jensaari, Dathmori). The EU New Republic managed to basically survive without being completely decapitated. The new canon has not been so fortunate, the corruption seems less under Borsk Feyla.

If the Movies avoid a dark age/ interregnum I would call bull on verisimilitude, cause right now...I can't see how they can avoid that outcome.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  13. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    No.

There are no books after Chapterhouse.

Estate sanctioned fan fiction has no lasting value to the story. Not to mention that the “thinking machines” the estate approved fans came up with don’t represent in the slightest what the 6 novels infer from the mentions of the Butlerian Jihad.

But I agree with your other references ;)

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

14. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    Very much like the EU (I refuse to call it the Legends timeline), there are things I like alot and things I don't.

C-3PO: The Phantom Limb might be my favorite Star Wars comic ever (though I haven't dove into the Vader series yet). It took a powerless character and put him on this nice and simple story filled with drama, character development, and self evaluation about his place in the galaxy. And all this just from a story to explain the red arm, which I assumed was a cynical ploy by Disney to sell more 3PO toys. And I finally started reading the main Star Wars marvel series and so far I love it.

I have always loved Thrawn as a character, so getting a stand alone book about his backstory, even if it doesn't fit in with the original books anymore, was a treat and a half for me.

The Ahsoka book was a solid tale featuring one of my favorite characters from the Clone Wars series, and at least helped fill in some of the gaps left by the abrupt ending to the series.

Dark Disciple was also a very nice book that felt like lost episodes from The Clone Wars and gave us a nice showcase of Assaj Ventress, probably the best developed character from the show.

But then you have the Aftermath Trilogy, which was painful to read. The Leia Marvel series which was, at best, uneventful. And a bunch of other items that feel like media to sell the movies rather than be designed to stand well enough on their own.

But it was that way with t he EU as well. I love the Thrawn Trilogy, the Old Republic stuff, the anthology books, Shadows of the Empire, Death Troopers, Kenobi, and various other entries. But for everything I liked, there was a Crystal Star, a Callista Trilogy, a Jedi Academy Trilogy, or a Jedi Prince Series (OK OK, I like that last one purely for the lolz).

I would say with this new canon, there hasn't been anything I've loved as much as some of my favorite entries in the EU, but with anything that produces this much content, you're going to get good material and you're going to get bad material. I'd say, so far, I've gotten enough good material to keep me at least interested in checking out more releases.

kalzeth and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Danz Borin420

Danz Borin420 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 26, 2017
    Definitely looks like the books/novels will be taking a backseat burner for a good while. Del Rey doesn't have much on the horizon; yet Kennedy keeps announcing movies (Solo, EP9, RJ's trilogy, and now DnD of GOT getting a "set" of movies).

Also, from the looks of the SOLO trailer, some aspects of the OLD Han will make it into the new continuity (namely him dropping out of the academy, and the Corporate Sector).

Shadowrain10 and kalzeth like this.
  16. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I do wish that the books got more love, I'm really enjoying them.

17. Danz Borin420

Danz Borin420 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 26, 2017
    With the addition of more and more movies, I don't see the novels getting the amount of time to develop as they did previously. It's hard to green-light a 3, 6, or 9 book series ... knowing that there's 8 movies on the horizon, and Del Rey is probably not top priority for information on what these movies will be. So it'll be hard to get a series of books done. Novels here on out will most likely be single stand-alone novels (that don't impact anything) or books to set-up or end-cap movies (ie. Catalyst).

18. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Not necessarily. The novels will be given a period of time that they will be able to fill in. Much like they are mainly focusing on the OT time period now I think the thirty year time period between Jedi and TFA will be given to them as well. I don't really see the movies doing much with that time period.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Del Rey will probably be doing the traditional tie-in material that most sci-fi/fantasy tv/movie franchises do, for the foreseeable future. They won't be given much freedom unless the primary material starts to run out of steam... but given Del Rey's track record, maybe that's for the best.

20. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Good and bad.

And I am sorry to say that Ep 7 and 8 are part of the bad. The OT was coherent. ANH introduced the characters and gave them a mission. Get the plans to the Rebels and blow up the DS. ESB started on a bang with the Rebels being found and the battle of Hoth....then delved more into character development as Luke and R2 went one way and the others went the other way. ROTJ...Save Han with some swagger and destroy DSII. Also...it was over a 4 year period.

I am not feeling that from the ST so far. TFA was good but then the idea of Starkiller Base was just too over the top. I would have preferred too see a more 'conventional' attack from the FO. Everything that went into SKB would have built thousands of Resurgents. Launch dozens of fleets with a coordinated time on target (ships come out of hyperspace at the same time) attack on targets such as Hosnian Prime, Mon Calamari, etc...Leia takes the Resistance Fleet to reinforce the NR Fleet as HP but it is not enough....end TFA something like the end of Terminator 3....Leia in the CIC receiving reports from across the galaxy of what is falling, what is repelling the FO and what is still up in the air.

TLJ should have been 2-3 years later at the height of the war with teh FO....the Resistance is holding it's own and launch a mission that allows them to get the secret hypespace routes into FO space and are able to launch a Hiroshima/Nagasaki type attack...hyperspace capable planet busters that can make a planet do a Concord Dawn impression...or a Gas Giant with combustible gasses burn up. This puts the Resistance in a stronger position and go on the offensive.

Ep 9...another 2 years... would be the final battle what would break the FO.

During all this you have ships of all types and sizes on the Resistance/Republic/Security Forces side. CR90s, Hammerheads, Recusants, Rendili Dreadnoughts, Mon Cal MC30-85s, Dauntless and Liberator classes, etc...

Fill in the time between with books and such.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  21. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    I don't want to be rude bit it drives me crazy on videos and these froums at times whe people complan that disney ruining star wars please just stop if ot gurts that bad do what i do make your own personal canon you can combine them both so please stip crying

22. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    agreed Legends went a little overborad with that idea

23. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Honestly, I don't like the new canon. All the Marvel stuff feels like a do-over. I understand there was a rush to get 7 out the door, but they could have had an EU compliant movie for the general audience very easily and have the exact same stuff we have now. After Chewie is found alive, Jaina as Kira Ren would kill Ben Skywalker as her first step to the Dark Side, and Luke disbanding the Jedi and going to hiding in grief could have given us the same ST we are getting now.

As Solo showed, the biggest threat to Star Wars now is the fracturing of the fan base. If they had kept the EU with my above 1 sentence explanation (literally 1 sentence is all that's needed to recap how the ST can be EU compliant!!), this fracturing might not have happened and we wouldn't have all these news stories now worrying about the future of the franchise in the wake of the Solo flop.

Remember, Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring in 2001 was a massive hit despite the majority of viewers not reading the Hobbit or the Silmarillion. The movie had a few lines to recap those books for the general audience and moved on with the story. Star Wars should have done the same, with the EU sitting in for the Hobbit and the Silmarillion.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

To be fair the EU fracturing happened back in 2008 when TCW started retconning stuff from beforehand.

25. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Solo did not fail cause of a fractured fanbase, so much as an utter failure of marketing and coming out at the wrong time. Keep in mind that RO followed TFA's complete break from the EU, and overrode like 7 EU stories with it's premise and yet it was a success. Seems like ditching Legends didn't hurt that film at all.