main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

1. Phasmus

Phasmus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2018
    Since I have a tendency to ramble, I'm going to try and keep this brief and to the point. In my current Star Wars/Metroid crossover featuring Captain Phasma and Samus Aran as the two main protagonists, it's almost time for Samus to enter the story. The problem is, and it's kind of a big one, I admit, I'm not quite sure of one thing in particular: where, planet-wise, the meeting with Phasma should take place (at first I thought maybe Coruscant because I'm really familiar with it, but seeing as it's basically a giant city, this scenario seems kind of boring). This is important because said planet, whatever it will end up being, should be in the midst of some kind of conflict that the two characters join, which in turn begins their bonding. Perhaps a conflict involving Resistance forces -- will Phasma join the good guys? We shall see!

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Because I know words that need starring out...

Gamorr

The appearance of any starship, your pair are going to get ******* overrun, plus the native Gamorreans will have a battle to see who has the honour of making contact.

Enough conflict for ya?

I'm sure you can make up something for your two to join.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Phasmus likes this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    When done, PM me a link - because my brain is useless these days, and I would like to read it.

I see autism as a neurological thing, but perhaps people with autism and family members/loved ones with autism will correct me.

I was looking for some warped combo of bipolar I, substance abuse, STPD and anxiety. Didn't find anybody who has all four, and I don't dare to ask on a mental health forum where I'm the admin. I guess I'll just go ahead and create something from scratch and make sure it's not offensive to a reader.

4. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    In what order are you working the four? Typically in my experience bipolar carries a certain amount of anxiety but there are also extreme anxiety cases that add a separate diagnosis. The combination of the two can lead to substance abuse problems especially if they aren’t taking medications. Not sure I’ve ever been around anyone with bipolar disorder that had an STPD diagnosis as well.

5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I tried to find STPD folks in multiple places, but that thing seems to be bloody rare. I even asked some things on Quora, tagged a bunch of them and nobody responded. Then again, that's a ...self-demonstrating example? :p

As for bipolar, I have friends who have it and after spending six months with a misdiagnosis of it myself (never ever go see a pdoc after having drunk more caffeine than normal - EVER!) I read and watched as many things I could, and while I can't get into such a mindset, I get it that "eternal nightmare" would explain a lot. This girl who randomly snaps when I tell her that she's addicted to benzos and that she should not be drinking alcohol is type II with strong anxiety, but all type I folk that I know are sedated to the point of being like robots and I can't get a clearer picture.

Ironically, I have to watch that my characters don't start thinking like me. As a borderline, I have a view of the world that might be seen as saccharine and pathetic and then suddenly turning brutal and dystopian with no warning and I get that it can confuse a reader. But understanding more complex mindsets, especially those related to brains being somewhat neurologically and chemically different...hard stuff. Hard, hard stuff.

Findswoman likes this.
  6. Phasmus

Jan 14, 2018
    Still doing a bit of brainstorming concerning my planet problem (thank you to @Sith-I-5 for the suggestion) and I came up with 5 possible planets to set the bulk of my current story on:

In no particular order
    Kessel
    Geonosis
    Kashyyyk
    Dubrillion
    Mandalor

At this point, my top 3 are Kashyyyk, Dubrillion and Mandalore. The problem is, I can hardly find any information about any of the 5 planets as they are in the ST. When it comes to the 3 planets I just mentioned, which of these do you think would be key for both the First Order and the Resistence, so much so that they would fight over control of it?

7. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    @Phasmus I'd go with Kashyyyk, even if it entails borrowing elements from the Legends version. First, because it's in the Mid Rim rather than the Outer Rim, so you can easily make up a reason for it to be strategically important, and the Wookiees' reaction to the First Order opens up a lot of possibilities. Second, and most importantly IMO, because Kashyyyk's ecology in Legends would present a real survival challenge for Phasma as she is depicted in the novel. The novel and the comics show her surviving in very harsh environments, but the "layered death trap" element would allow you to create something new in this regard.

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Pulled out all of my word counts...

2017: 107 253

2016: 250 810

2015: 197 123

2014: 13 769

Last year's monthly counts are...quite something.

januar: 14099

februar: 36 385

mart: 18 600

april: 21 451

maj: 3687

jun: 664

jul: 667

avgust: /

septembar: /

oktobar: /

novembar: 7132

decembar: 4568

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I figured I'd share this here because it doesn't fit anywhere else. I was looking up the word mickey because spellcheck wasn't recognizing it and because I can't spell to save my life. And then I learn the word has TWO different meanings in Canada and in the US. In Canada it is a 375ml bottle of hard liquor as in "I'm going to the store to buy a mickey of rum". In the US it's a drugged drink. Needless to say, I won't be using the word, but now I'm horrified and wondering what the hell else I've said that wasn't what I meant.

mavjade likes this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    My friend from somewhere in UK uses it for peeing. "A mickey take".

11. Phasmus

Jan 14, 2018
    While I'm more accustomed to a "mickey" being a drugged drink (i.e. I slipped him a mickey) I didn't actually know there are TWO meanings depending on whether Canadian or American.

Heh, great, now you got me wondering the same thing. [face_thinking]

I don't mean to hijack your question @Briannakin but I don't want to double post. But, is it possible for two non-Force sensitive people to produce a Force-sensitive child (or children, in the case of twins or more)? What are the chances? Also, does having one Force-sensitive partner increase the chances of his/her partner conceiving a Force-sensitive child?

12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I was going to doubt that non-FS parents could produce an FS child; but was reminded of the Jorus C'Boath controversy.

His whole schtick was riding roughshod over the rights and feelings of non-FS parents, whilst "nicking" their kids for training back at the Temple.

No idea about potential for twins though.

@Ewok Poet - whilst your UK friend might use it for peeing, I suspect that you are thinking about a related if less polite term, "pissing".

That also has multiple meanings.
    To make fun off - take the piss, a piss take. You can take the pee out of someone, as well. Taking the mickey. A mick-take may be used somewhere.

To relieve one self -
    taking a piss, having a piss, pissing

Party atmosphere celebration, possibly with alcohol -
    having a piss up (eg. post-Yavin celebrations, though thinking about it, I don't feel the post Endor one with the Ewoks would qualify, though there would be some where Palpatine's statue was pulled down)

Being a spendthrift, wasting your money - pissing it up the wall. In less common usage, you can waste other commodities. Eg. Poe was ready to follow Holdo's lead, but whatever goodwill she had with him, she pissed up the wall.

"Pee" works with most of these, as well, however you cannot have a celebratory pee up.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Phasmus and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yes

Don't know

Don't know but we know of (in the OEU) that some of Luke's Jedi had the backstory that one of their parents was a Jedi but at the same time we also know of two Force senstive that had a child was non-Force sensitive

Phasmus and Sith-I-5 like this.
  14. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    And two more American uses:
    pissed --drunk, inebriated ("He got completely pissed at the Super Bowl party.")

pissed off --angry ("He was pissed off when the Pats lost the Super Bowl.")

15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Oh yes, I forgot that last one.

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I did not want Bri to think that I was doing something to annoy her, so I assumed she would google it further.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

17. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm aware that "pissing someone off" means to annoy/anger them, but I didn't know 'mickey' was used for that too.

18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    You might take the mickey out of someone to the point where it angers them, but it would not be the primary intention.

You can take the mick / piss / pee out of someone, and they are synonymous with each other, and with a light hearted teasing.

Mickey cannot be switched around like the p-words, to become an angering people verb.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I don't think we've ever gotten the genetics of Force-sensitivity, and I have no idea if it might differ among species. But I would say yes, you can have two non-Force sensitive people have a child that is Force-sensitive just like you can have two parents with brown eyes have a child with blue eyes. The chances would depend on how dominant a trait Force-sensitivity is, which I'd say not very dominant otherwise there'd be a lot more people with it. And I'd think yeah, having one parent would probably make it more likely they'd have a child with sensitivity.

But basically I think this falls under the main fanfic rule, you can always just make it up!

pronker, Phasmus and Findswoman like this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    @Sith-I-5 - My friend is a teacher and a mom of two, so she only uses it for pissing as in relieving, peeing. I was not aware of the latter two uses of the verb/noun, but I knew about "piss tests" at companies.

Knowing a bit of slang from here and there can only be awesome, so thanks for two new insults. :D [face_devil] I only refrain from swearing in English on here and around two specific friends who don't like it, but otherwise, it's a great way to relieve from stress, when there is a good reason to do it. I just HAVE to say "pička ti materina" when I hit my little toe against evil furniture. And mom has to utter "jebem ti život" when she loses the battle with her archenemies - the window blinds.

21. Phasmus

Jan 14, 2018
    Thanks to everyone who provided some insight into my questions :D

pronker likes this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    So, what do you do when you know that somebody is a GREAT author and that you enjoy their stories, yet when you try to comment on them, they kind of...start bouncing off the walls and confuse you? The stories, not the author? I didn't reply to one single long thing by this person, ever, there have been three in the recent year or so and I feel awful. :( How do I make the stuff stop bouncing when I'm re-reading it? :eek:8-}

23. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I guess one thing that might help is reading the person’s stories in smaller sections at a time, letting things sink in before moving on to the next section? That can help long stories in general feel less overwhelming. Ebooking can help in this department, too, because it’s tough reading a lot of text at a time in the forums format.

Mistress_Renata and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Will do so. :) You always know best and I'm sure that this will work.

Random question #985609:
    Do you think us writers are eventually saner than other kinds of artists?

25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    (Board...are you on glitterstim?)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018