main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dukeleto69

Dukeleto69 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    I know I should reserve judgement until I see Solo but at present I am not keen on the idea of either Solo or Kenobi as anthology films. I was hoping for more about characters we have never seen like we got with Rogue One. Something that expands the universe and makes it seem bigger rather than focusing in on a smaller number of key characters.

Having said that Solo might be awesome and if it makes money (it will) then Kenobi has got to be a safe bet right? If so then absolutely it must be Ewan. I suspect he knows he can drive a pretty hard deal on that salary and profit participation though (could be what is keeping it quiet...they are in talks).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  2. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    They're waiting to see how Solo does at the box-office.
    So...the Obi-Wan film will never be made. :p

3. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Thankfully, not everyone is as negative as you, or thinks like you, so we they will go and see Solo, and it wont be a box office disaster, and we will see many more movies. Anyway, does it really have to make billions? Its still a success if it only recoups what it cost to make. And box office takings have absolutely no bearing on quality. As you seem to think they do. I can think of many wonderful movies that have not done well at the box office.

wobbits and Trikuza23 like this.
  4. MadBoomBoom

MadBoomBoom Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2017
    It doesn't really matter as long as the films make profit. The Star Wars films will be made for the next 100 years. Do you really think they care if there are a few bad films?

5. KamenSentaiMetalHero

KamenSentaiMetalHero Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    I think an Obi-Wan standalone film should be like this character-driven Western film set between Episodes III and IV, about his experiences on Tatooine while watching over Luke. We see Obi-Wan communing with Qui-Gon's disembodied voice learning to be a Force ghost, as well as dealing with his personal demons. It should be like Logan, Samurai Jack Season 5, and The Dark Knight Returns. What do these works have in common?They're all post-apocalyptic stories about an older, more jaded version of a beloved character who is forced out of retirement or some type of exile. It's not like they hadn't done it before. There was that Legends Obi-Wan novel from five years ago which was a Western story and TLJ recently did this with Luke Skywalker, so why not Obi-Wan. It should be called Ben:A Star Wars Story similar to Logan. In fact, it could be the Logan of Star Wars. So what do you guys think?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  6. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Oh, very much agreed! This film can really be something special, and challenge the notions of what a Star Wars film can be, similar to what Logan accomplished. I know a lot of folks feel that it'd be "boring" just having Kenobi on Tatooine the entire film, but I think there's a lot of awesome stuff that you can do with that setup. An older, "crazy" Kenobi, in a western-inspired film. The Kenobi book from the old timeline is just one example of how such an approach could work. McGregor is an actor that can pull this off, and he is a big must to have for this project.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    True enough, its just sad to think that we will never hear another piece of his music after 2020 (Indy 5 comes out that year and I expect that might be his farewell to work)

8. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I'm watching Absentia, and one of the actors piqued my interest. He has a bit of Kenobi / Alec Guinness look.... someone who could perhaps play a great grand uncle of Obi-Wan in a prequel film, or maybe even the brother of Obi-Wan in the Kenobi film. Kenobi could be plural for Kenobi, just as Jedi is plural for Jedi.
    The actor is Ralph Ineson, and, as it turns out, he played a Senior First Order Officer in The Last Jedi. By the way, Ralph is 48 and Ewan is 46. What better sidekick for Obi-Wan to have than his reunited brother? I know there's no known brother..... but there could be.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0408591/?ref_=tt_cl_t8

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Trikuza23 likes this.
  9. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    I'm starting to get a little worried that the fate of a Kenobi movie and other anthologies might be tied to Solo's Success/Failure

10. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Good point. The success of Rogue One gave Lucasfilm a lot of confidence in creating stories with totally new characters, which seems to be a key element of the new Rian Johnson trilogy and presumably the series by the Game of Thrones writers. The outlook on future films centered on established characters might hinge upon how Solo performs.

11. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    I mean maybe I have no clue....but I never would have guessed two whole new series/trilogies of films would have been officialy announced before a Kenobi movie

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    11-4D and B3 like this.
  12. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I want an Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan film so bad. I really hope it will be the next film released after Episide 9. I'm very intrigued about these other announced films but this is the one I want the most.

13. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    If the Solo movie is a reasonable success expect to see a couple more. There's still five years worth of adventures there and it has the advantage of not being tied to a desolate sand planet watching over a whiny kid.

cwustudent and wobbits like this.
  14. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think the 2 trilogies are abit different to Obi Wan because no one really knows what these trilogies are gonna be aboue while once you announce Obi Wan then thats it we know what we are getting.

I wouldn't be shocked to found out one of these so called trilogies may be on the streaming service.

15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    There is only one trilogy, the other is just "a movie series". And I very much doubt that any of these movies are meant fort the streaming service. You don't throw the money it takes to make a Star Wars movie at a project that is just used for the streaming service. Streaming those kind of movies doesn't get you anywhere near the money as a proper theater-release with streaming following afterwards does.

They are already on their way to produce multiple tv-shows. Those are probably meant for the streaming service. No need to waste any movie on that.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  16. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Whose to say how much the budget would be though?

If they wanna boost their streaming service then what better then Star Wars?

Calling it a "movie series" is abit odd though, it makes whatever it is sound long term and it's usually rare to plan anything ahead beyond 3 movies.

17. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I'm also getting the vibe that the pattern of announcing multi-film series to single creative teams is a sign that a Kenobi film is getting far less likely.

Which is a shame, because with Ewan on board you'd have something that connects the saga in ways that neither R1 nor Solo could.

Admittedly I'm showing some bias here. I like Obi-Wan as a character; I like Ewan; I liked Rogue One; I think Solo might be pretty good; I'm intrigued by Rian's trilogy; I really really really don't like Game of Thrones. So if I could swap one thing that's not officially announced for something that is, well...

cwustudent and B3 like this.
  18. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    It's Star Wars, it's a given that it will be expensive. After all, there are tons of special effects, and you can't afford for Star Wars to not look good.

Yes, that is what the tv-shows are for. They have multiple of those already. It's simply not worth it to produce entire movies for streaming, when you make far more money if you release them in theaters. At this point, there is no reason to assume that these movies aren't meant for theatrical release.

Nothing odd about calling it a movie series. Pablo Hidalgo specifically mentioned that they didn't announce a trilogy. There are franchises that have directly announced more than three movies in the recent past (Fast & Furious had 3 plus spin-offs, for Avatar they announced four sequels, Fantastic Beasts was announced as a 5-part story right away, not to mention Star Wars itself, with a sequel trilogy and spin-offs). Not that this means that it will be more than three movies, it could just as well be just two movies.

19. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Let's keep this discussion focused on the potential Obi-Wan movie, please.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I messaged the Telegraph that, should this not come to pass, they can expect the abrupt cancellation of both my digital and physical subscriptions as a result of my heartbreak and spite.

BELFAST LOCATION SCOUTING

21. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    I somewhat doubt that they’d have Lucas do location scouting, but idk.

22. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Yeah lucas likely has nothing to do with the Obi Wan movie

Well when they do a tv show (At some point) they will probably want alot of effects also.

Its budget management isn't it?

23. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    11-4D likes this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Speaking as an Irish person, it is not out of the realm of possibility that they are saying "George Lucas" as referencing a company with his name on it or representatives working on behalf of his intellectual properties. The Telegraph is well enough established that they would not be confused as to whether or not a film director rode about in an auto doing all his own location scouting.

Similarly, headlines would not be dissimilar to "The BBC has taken residency in Antrim"... when the company clearly is not relocating its production studios, offices, administration and staff to a rural coastal town in Northern Ireland they happen to be temporarily using for location on one program.

wobbits likes this.
  25. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    What does it have to make for you to consider it a success? I'm thinking it makes $400 million domestically. Maybe a bit less. That would be a hit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.