main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi Hello there...

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by CaraJinn, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Here comes a (not so) small introduction from a grown up lady from Norway. I've been following the Star Wars story from the original film was released in the theaters in 1977 and with increasing age and intelligence (?) I have expanded my interest - first into canon books, then into the fanfic universe.

As the title of the post says, my favorite SW character is, and has always been, Obi-Wan Kenobi. When I saw ANH for the first time I was impressed by Alec Guinness performance, even though the teenage me crushed more effectively on Han Solo. ;) Well, who didn't at that time?

When the prequels were released I was a bit reluctant. I didn't quite catch the link between the young Obi-Wans personality in TPM and the one I knew from ANH, but when "Attack of the Clones" was released, I finally recognized the Obi-Wan Kenobi that Alec Guinness had portrayed so many years before. Since then I've explored the expaned universe from the prequels time period and later on also some alternative universe stories through my fanfic reading.

And I have long ago realized that being a woman in her fifties, reading SW fanfic is a bit...well...unconventional, so I try not to bother my friends with SW talk. Thus, my entrance here became a fact. As the last part of the trilogy evolves and the spin-off films are popping up, "I have foreseen" that there may turn up quite a lot of fun discussions and speculations.

2. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Hello and welcome to the forums. :)

3. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Thanks a lot, Jar-Jar BInks.

4. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    The Binks family welcomes you. Or so I hope. My nephew Jar-Jar is an embarrassment to us all. So perhaps his welcome was just a trap set leading to your coronation as Emperor. WWJJD? Don't do that.

5. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    I'm sure more users will be here to greet you and help you with the forums if you need it. Everyone's so nice and welcoming.

6. Blargxcntrl

Blargxcntrl Jedi Padawan

Nov 27, 2016
    Welcome! Lots of places around here for Obi-Wan talk.
    ...Now where did I leave that droid of mine...?

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Welcome @CaraJinn to the forums. Let us know if you have any questions navigating these forums. Also, trust me there are people, other than the Binks Brothers that post around here. :p

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  8. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Welcome to the community. :) Please let me know if I can help you find anything.

lol @ Binks Brothers.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  9. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Thanks all. I'll ask if I need any help in finding my way. However, I'm quite an experienced forum user from other forums and this one seem to be made on a similar platform so for the moment being I'm looking into subforums and threads (and as can be seen I have already posted in a couple of them even though I intended to show nice behavior and look around a bit before posting.)

Thanks for the nice welcome, though. @};-

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Welcome! We talk about all avenues of Star Wars here.
    We have forums for the following which might peak your interest
    Sequel Trilogy
    Anthology Movies
    Prequel Trilogy
    Star Wars TV
    Star Wars Expanded Universe
    Fanfiction

11. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    Hello @CaraJinn and welcome to the forum :)

12. dragonsith13

dragonsith13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2005
    With your interest in Fan-Fic.. are you interested in writing as well?

13. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Hello @CaraJinn and welcome to the forum!

14. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Yeeees *reluctant*. Which means, it would be fun trying, but I'm not so sure about my abilities in creating a good story. I also have the disadvantage of having English as my second language, which means that I have to "think" the entire story in English, because first writing in Norwegian and then translating into English is not an option. That would end in a totally "unreadable" Norwenglish language. I don't think writing in Norwegian would be a good idea either. The audience would be limitied.

However, there exist an account with my name on it in ff.net even though there's not a single kb uploaded to it (yet). [face_blush]

And there are some words related to SW located in my "fanfic" folder in my computer as well... If they ever find their way from the computer to the account is uncertain. Time will show.

15. dragonsith13

dragonsith13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2005
    The fact that you speak and articulate yourself so well is amazing though and I think an indication that you could easily do such. Who knows 'joint ventures and partnerships' in writing are not uncommon either!!!

I applaud you for your being able to speak and write it so well. I wish I could do so as much as you in your native tongue. I know some French, but not nearly as well as you seem to know English.

I do have a question for you... are you more inclined to the light or dark?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  16. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Thanks for the encouragement. I use English a lot in my daily work, but writing technical English is much easier than writing fiction, because in the latter you need to vary the language, don't exaggerate the use of adjectives and adverbs and in general be more in touch with the spoken language to get the dialogue believable.

To answer the last question: I'm definitely inclined towards the light side.

17. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Hello @CaraJinn

I can identify with what you wrote in your opening post. I'm a little bit younger but have had similar feelings about talking Star Wars with friends and family. The Prequel years took some getting used to. The early 90's SW revival was probably one of the best periods before the Special Editions got put out (1991-1996, R.I.P.).

In my short time here, I have found these boards to be a good outlet for creativity.

CaraJinn likes this.
  18. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Creativity is gearing up :D. After reading the last posts 2 chapters of a small story + almost one of a (presumed) longer one is resting peacefully in my PC. I think I will try to post the smaller one to see if anyone at all will be reading it.

19. Halle Dray

Halle Dray Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Welcome to the boards!! We have some great fanfic writers here as well as those who love to read fanfics!

Hope to see you around!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.