main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RX_Sith, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I'm ...not sure if anyone considers that lesson legitimate lol. Not in the context of Finn's development anyway considering that's a pretty shaky (and completely hypocritical and counter productive and unrealistic) lesson to begin with. Poe was definitely being set up as Leia's successor though.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I really wanted Finn to be Force User (not need to be a jedi) but these options are great too

3. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    @Jedi Jessy Call me an idiot but I still think he is for some reason lol. Finn got so little development in that movie that I honestly take it with a grain of salt, just because Rian wasn't willing to put that much into it anyway. So JJ could still come back and do whatever just because there's nothing concretely against him being FS. Just the boulder scene and the scene at the end with the jedi books. (I know it's not realistic so don't shoot me down lol. just spare me).

@Star war Another thing I thought of concerning the heroes feeling sidelined was Anakin and Obiwan's duel at the end of AotC, where Yoda had to step in and save them from Dooku. One could use that argument to say that Rey wasn't sidelined, but come on. Our main focus was definitely on Anakin (and ObiWan's) plots in that movie. Even though Anakin had a lot of emotional motivation based on Padme and his mother, and Kenobi once he'd been captured. They were still for believable reasons given who he was, and it didn't really take away the lead status from him.

He still took part in the ending lightsaber duel where he fought briefly with two sabers (which was meh), and the ending had him getting married to Padme, closing on them.

@modaubr That would be kinda neat to have that between Finn and Han similar to the similarities between Rey and Luke. Might make people think a little bit lol

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  4. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    Poe was not good at it though. They just had that "follow him" to show that we have new heroes in new roles. Poe didnt earn it at all. Poe actually got the resistance killed.

Now that i think about it , and i will get hate for this but Rey didnt earn her "jedi" title either. She has zero to no training.

That Luke dialogue felt like it was just there so Luke could one up Kylo and show the audience that here, we have heroes too in this movie. It felt odd. I mean what will be Finn's role according to it ?

The only one who earned his title is Kylo , being the big bad. He sure acted like it.

Our heroes really really need some serious conflicts and struggles and character development.

So i think it will be Finn Rey vs Poe on how to win the war ? By destroying what we hate or by saving what we love.

Or there is nothing interesting or dramatic left in our heroes' storyline.

Resistance plot was constantly singled out as boring and unnecessary by fans in TLJ. I dont want that to repeat in IX.

Rhyoth likes this.
  5. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    I agree Anakin never felt sidelined bcoz the story was about him . Even in TPM we knew how important he was. He was constantly refered to as the hope , chosen one , powerful so we knew he was the lead.

Another point is anakin's role kept increasing through every movie , till the point that he was the hero and the villian of ROTS.

But here its happening with Kylo. Thats why it feels weird. Bcoz Anakin was the hero and Kylo is the viilan.

Kylo has too much of a strong backstory and dramatic potential , so no character matches up to him.

Honestly Finn's storyline actually was about Finn atleast. While Rey's storyline was about Kylo which is worse in my opinion.

Kylo will never be sidelined for any character it is the truth. I have accepted it.

I am more worried about Finn in IX bcoz he is with Rey and Poe .
    They both overshadowed him , Rey in TFA and Poe in TLJ.

And JJ has sidelined Finn in favour of Rey before. So.

I hope i am wrong though but it doesnt look good to me.

6. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    That's what TLJ was about

I don't think so. Lessons were learned all around in TLJ. That was the point. Poe's not going to have internal conflict on his own side after what he went through in TLJ.
    They have to defeat the FO. And only have one more movie to do it

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  7. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    They will build a death star!

Star war likes this.
  8. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    Oh i agree buddy.

But i am trying to say that people dont find resistance defeating FO interesting.

In my every screening at the theatres

In TFA
    People cheered when Rey defeated Kylo not when resistance blew up the starkiller base.

In TLJ
    People cheered when Kylo killed Snoke not when Rey saved the resistance.

Honestly nothing about the resistance plot was interesting in TFA and TLJ both.

So i just want the resistance plot to be interesting. So i could root for my heroes when they overcome their differences and struggles.

9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The twist is this time it's SMALLER!

10. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    Smaller? This is diabolical. The Resistance will never anticipate a pocket-sized Death Star! IX will be darker than ROTS and ESB combined.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    The Regular Mustache and rorow1 like this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    TCW did experiment with the idea of robotic microbes infecting people.

And to where Finn fits into all this, he could take the rebellious stormtroopers into the lab and dismantle it.

12. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Oh I thought you were going to say they could make his part smaller. Heh.

I like Finn but what the heck are they going to do with his character in Ep. 9? I know, I know stormtrooper revolt. That's the go to line. I want something more for him.

BlurryUFOs and Troopa212 like this.
  13. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Like what?

14. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    That’s the thing. I’m totally stumped.

rayjefury likes this.
  15. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    The thing is that when Kasdan came up with his 'defecting Stormtrooper' idea everyone thought it was a great idea and they ran with it. Like the whole ST though there was no end goal. Perhaps when RJ said that he had plans for Finn staying in a coma he wasn't entirely joking. It must be a real headache to work a character story line with so little depth and promise.

16. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Lol RJ could've given Finn a much more compelling storyline if he wanted to. The blame shouldn't fall on the character but on the writer. The problem is that he was so obsessed with another character that devoting anything worth while and original to anyone else "just wouldn't fit" and he "didn't wanna write it." Finn was one of the most original concepts in SW (regarding movies anyway), and he could've been literally anything.

17. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Part of me feels like Finn is a conduit for the force. He meets Rey and it starts to awaken in her. He and Rose meet that boy in Canto and boom we have what we have at the ending. Not that, that is what is probably happen. But I like to think that. It seems like an interesting purpose to me.

18. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    What do you think he will wear? Probably just the same old jacket again.

19. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    I think Rian gave more value to Poe's character as well.

It wasnt necessary.

Poe completely overshadowed Finn in the Resistance plot.

They should have let Poe die as planned in TFA.

It hurt Finn's arc.

20. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Pretty sure that jacket's DJ's now lol. Maybe Finn'll get it back after he tracks him down and beats the **** out of him.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would love to see Finn beat up DJ. “War profiteering scum.”

Birkendoc likes this.
  22. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I would love to see DJ come back to Finn and Rose and apologize for the error of his ways, or to have some revelation about his path. I feel like he might be too cowardly for that though. DJ just seems like this street kid who became very good at taking advantage of opportunities to survive, and just was always alone and never learned to see anything beyond his own survival. He's like at the bottom of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. He lives on a very base level. He's a wretched soul.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  23. rayjefury

rayjefury Jedi Master star 2

Jun 3, 2017
    It's interesting that going into TLJ, when it was known that Finn and Rey were going to be separate, many of us hoped that would give him the opportunity to explore the Storm Trooper rebellion option. I think it would have been infinitely better than the Canto Bight hi jinx. But since the arc that RJ gave to him was simply to move him the short distance from "Anti-FO" to "Pro-Resistance", it seems like there wouldn't be enough time (without a monstrous time jump) to show a Storm Trooper rebellion. And honestly at this point, even the ST rebellion seems lazy... like people who were against it before are coalescing around this now because they can't stall his character for another movie and he has to do something.

Troopa212 likes this.
  24. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    I love where your head is at.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Well then Finn needs to hurry up and meet himself lol.
    Oh my gosh imagine if once he finds his family, or finds out who he actually is suddenly the Force awakens in him too. That would be such a cool concept. And honestly it would kinda be satisfying in a way.

Kurenai24 and PrincessKenobi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.