main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #38-43: The Ashes of Jedha (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 4, 2017.

1. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I don't get where the whole "Luke is the naive optimist" comes from. Sure he was the relatable 19 YO nobody in ANH, but this is the same Luke who was worried Han and Leia would die on Bespin if he didn't intervene and the one who was chomping on his nails when he sensed Vader above Endor. Heck, Luke resigns himself to death once Vader gives him up to the Emperor. "I wont turn, and you'll be forced to kill me" and later "Soon i'll be dead... and you with me"

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  2. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    “Luke is a naive optimist” comes from the part where despite having no substantive reason to think it, Luke believed in the inner light in his father right to the end, all the way to the edge of death and the decimation of the Rebellion. I have never seen a more naive protagonist in fiction, or at least, not one that was both ridiculously naive and yet still wonderful and memorable.

Luke saw the future with Han and Leia and ran off to save them, believing wet-behind-the-ears Luke could make a difference against the Empire in order to save them. That is yet another example of Luke being an absurdly naive optimist. Naive optimism is the fundamental core of his character. It’s the only reason his arc through the OT works.

When Luke says “you’ll be forced to kill me,” he’s tempting his father, taunting him with what he believes his father could never do. Right to the brink of death, while being tortured, he believes his father will save him. The moments where he seemed tempted and to lose faith were brief and fleeting and were emotional powerhouses, like when Vader threatened Leia or when Vader revealed the truth to him.

“Soon I’ll be dead and you with me” = Luke’s absolute blind faith in the imminent victory of the Rebellion and that his father would turn. Luke had faith no matter the odds. It was silly and foolish and yet he was right.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    kalzeth and Jedi Jessy like this.
  3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    We have all been watching and rewatching the OT basically our whole lives. What many of us consider to be defined personality traits of these characters are really just our own own interpretation we have built up over the years. In reality the OT was pretty vague when it came to the characters and there is a lot of wiggle room to developing them.

4. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Uh no Luke's arc was the emotional core of the OT. It was not vague.

kalzeth and Jedi Jessy like this.
  5. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    It really was. Luke's desire to redeem his father, to take one particularly prominent example, spontaneously popped up out of nowhere 45 minutes into Return of the Jedi and we know for a fact from what we know about the scripting process for that movie that it wasn't even there from the start and they weren't sure about it for a while. There was a while where Luke was just going to kill Vader and the guys who *created the character* saw no problem with it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    redxavier and jamminjedi23 like this.
  6. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    No it was not ambiguous whether Luke was depressed in the OT. He was not depressed. He was optimistic. I mean, you can argue stuff is vague just because... I don't even know, stuff could have happened not in the movie, but I don't see you pointing to any evidence that Luke had depression issues in the OT. Almost every scene with Luke, he's an optimist.

Are you talking about Luke planning to kill Vader when he believed Vader killed his beloved and idolized dad? Is that your argument that Luke isn't an optimist in the OT?

7. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    I think Luke tends to be naive and optimistic in this period on the whole, but not exclusively so, and I don't think that his portrayal in this comic really deviates too much from that. But that's just me! My point was only that a lot about these characters was not nailed down, and it's clear that there's a lot of scope for them to act in many different ways without deviating from what we see in the OT

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  8. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Yes, he just get a bit depressed after find out Vader was his father

9. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Yeah, I mean, I addressed that earlier that Luke's moments of temptation and where he seemed to lose that otherwise steadfast optimism were when he was challenged emotionally with family - when he learned Vader was dad, and when Vader threatened his sister.

It is not in character whatsoever for Luke to get all pessimistic over the R1 crew, especially after ANH. In ANH, he bounced back from his aunt and uncle getting burned alive, then he mourned Ben for a minute on the Falcon, but got right back in the gunner seat to shoot TIEs. When he got to the Rebel base, he was cheerful and excited. He never doubted his ability to take on the Empire or the Death Star. He wasn't philosophizing about sacrifice or what was riding on anything, and there is no argument that he didn't understand at that point, but then somehow he did understand based on hearing about R1.

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  10. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    @AhsokaSolo I don't think you are taking into consideration that just because someone acts a certain way at a given moment doesn't mean that that is who they are all the time. You are trying to take a particular scene in which you saw Luke act a certain way and say that that is how he was 100% of the time. All of our personalities vary in real life and these fictional characters personalities should to.

11. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I am taking into consideration Luke's arc in a fictional trilogy, not whether it is hypothetically possible that a real person in that situation would have been mopey off screen. Luke was not portrayed as mopey or depressed during that time period at all. In fact, that he wasn't mopey or depressed is fundamental to his emotional arc.

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  12. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars #43 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Wait, who is talking? Leia or the evil queen?
    [​IMG]

14. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I guess that means Trios is the unexpected help from the solicit?

15. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Such a glaring error. Wish I could say I was surprised...

KikReask and kalzeth like this.
  16. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Ah my eyes!

17. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    [​IMG]

So clearly, Larocca is capable of quality work. The colors blend well in this panel and I don’t get a sense of unease when looking at it.

So the question becomes, is it a time thing? Would all of his work be this smooth if he just had more time?

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

18. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    No. I still don't think his compositions and continuity are good enough. Sometimes we even need a guide to determine what's going on.

kalzeth likes this.
  19. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Plot twist: Leia is talking to herself and c3po is warning Leia to don't make Leia angry because herself has a blaster
    [​IMG]

vncredleader likes this.
  20. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Canon: speech bubbles can Force project

vncredleader, Vthuil, kalzeth and 2 others like this.
  21. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Quick, someone make an entry on the Wook for Force Ventriloquism!

Senpezeco likes this.
  22. Chris Werms

Chris Werms Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2017
    What, you all don't admire yourself in the third person?

You're missing out.

(Joking aside: a sad error, thankfully right at the beginning of the issue. I'm sure the rest of the issue will be more smooth! I just think this is another good argument against having two issues of the same title in a month, especially if we're going to have double doses of SW in January and again in March.)

23. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Leia: Hello, Leia, you look great today!
    Leia: what to you mean with "today"? I don't look great everyday?
    Rebels: ...?????????

Vthuil likes this.
  24. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Well, that is a pretty big development in just the preview. Makes me think the rest of the issue will be jam-packed.

25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Star Wars #38-43: The Ashes of Jedha (6/6 Release)

Glad we're leaving the ashes behind. Not really sure what was going on with the panels that involved Trios ship so I probably need to go back and re-read 5. I thought it was this huge thing but I was a little lost.