main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Aurebesh numerals arent really wildly different than what we use.

Huttese numerals are quite different, but that's only seen in TPM in Anakin's podracer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Regular numbers appear in Star Wars a lot, oddly.

Dawud786 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    huh, honestly never noticed that cuz I don't remember many closeups of numbers in Star Wars up to this point. I had a feeling it may be correct but also a part of me thought they were totally cheating / oversight / changed it for the benefit of the audience (which would be weird considering how much worldbuilding / passes go on these movies). Seen the flick 6 times in theatre and every time I see it (it's when Luke goes to the Force pool and reconnects with the Force it's above Leia's head in the pod) it stood out to me.

Speaking of the Force pool, I guess with that pool/mural that Luke uses to reconnect with the Force means objects, like the Sith cauldron that Sidious and Dooku were using to connect with Yoda, are totally things to enhance one's connection with the Force (or kickstart it again, as in Luke's case). Or maybe the mural / pool had Force stuff in it like the cauldron that Sidious was mixing or something. (water = the Force, I guess?)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  4. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Oh, okay, I thought the star wars language Abruesh was created after ANH for ESB (and they got retconned / digitally inserted backwards into it when Old Ben is deactivating the energy shield) and the ANH numbers are just a holdover before they made it up.

6. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Even still, Aurebesh numerals are just blocky versions of Arabic numerals.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Ah, so maybe I'm thinking Aurebesh kept the standard Arabic numbers cuz it was conveying plot information stuff in ANH and then when they made up Aurebesh for the sequels, they kept the numbers from ANH (but added the Aurebesh in the SE)

[​IMG]

8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    incidentally, that shot of the tractor beam being powered down was added in post production specifically to convey what Obi-Wan was doing

BobaMatt, BigAl6ft6 and Dawud786 like this.
  9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    DJ's hat says "Don't Join" in freakin' English.

10. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    It's aurebesh.

11. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    The Matt SNL sketch alone was better than all of TFA

12. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I can't explain why, but I find the numerical typeface on that display extremely satisfying. If I remember correctly, similar numerical displays are used in THX-1138, I love it there too.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  13. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    That entire graphic is so great.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    One of the interesting things about watching THX-1138 and Star Wars close together izzat the "soundscapes" in THX-1138 is basically a beta-version of the Death Star stormtrooper chatter, Lucas took a whole lot of THX-1138's style and just plopped it into Star Wars. Great article on the official site here.

Just to keep it tangentially related to Last Jedi, speaking of distorted sounds I noticed the super-distorted trooper-talk at the start of the Jakku assault in Force Awakens hasn't really been continued in Last Jedi (heck is there even much or any trooper talk in Last Jedi anyway?) Oh and to connect it back to Star Wars, in TFA the troopers are talking about the T-17 much like the troopers in ANH are talking about the T-16 (and the T-15 guys in Rogue One). And apparently the T-17 and T-15 lines in R1 and TFA are improvs by Sam Witwer so hopefully there's something buried away in the sound mix of Last Jedi (I honestly didn't notice the T-17 line from TFA when I had the subtitles on randomly)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    No trooper talks in TLJ. In fact this is surely the lowest Clone/Stormtrooper appearance rate outside of TPM

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The chase at the end is the prototype for the trench.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Princess like this.
  17. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    The numerals track, and DJ's hat is in Aurebesh, but his name, albeit not spoken in the film, is given as a pair letters that aren't Aurebesh. That's pretty weird in its own way. Wait, the same thing's true of every single droid. Why have made-up letters at all when the first named onscreen characters have standard letters as part of their names? Huh. Mind blown.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I sort of wish he got the hat somewhere with the "DJ" initials already on them, and even he doesn't know what they mean. And he was giving his "don't join" speech one day and someone made a joking association that stuck. Because otherwise if he intentionally put the "DJ" there to specifically mean "Don't Join"... dude that's just trying to hard. It's like marketing your own brand. It undermines his cavalier attitude about not taking sides.

BigAl6ft6 and CaptainPeabody like this.
  19. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Unless he's going to get some backstory where he learned the cost of joining in some tragic incident that led him to make that hat to remember, dammit! and so forth.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I mean...maybe he just got the hat and put his name on it.

21. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Do we have a DJ maybe gif yet?

Barriss_Coffee, Vthuil and BobaMatt like this.
  22. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    The hat says "Don't Join", not DJ.

23. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Considering that aurubesh symbols are mostly just alternate symbols for the Latin alphabet, it's not surprising to me that, if both exist in the universe, people don't bother saying "dorn."

Jedi Princess likes this.
  24. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Yeah, presumably everything's being translated anyway. When you watch a Spanish-language film dubbed into English, they don't make the characters say "ah, bay, say," they translate it to "ay, bee, see".

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You know, I have no memory of DJ having a hat

BigAl6ft6 likes this.