main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Prequel fans - Would you be open to Special Editions of the PT...?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Avnar, Jan 4, 2018.

1. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    I’m quite critical when it comes to pacing in SW movies but these scenes honestly wouldn’t be too much trouble to put it. The end of the film already is mellowing out and this would be a fantastic opportunity to bring to back Liam and Frank Oz.

heels1785 likes this.
  2. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Oh yes not having Neeson was a bummer

3. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Although Lucas himself straight up says that he prefers it the way it is. He felt that if he had the conversation happen off screen it would make it feel more mysterious.

And now that we have the Yoda arc in TCW it would be kind of superfluous to add it back in.

Sab Jo and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.
  4. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Oh I agree with that too.

I just felt like when watching that scene, it felt like it was one of the more meticulous deleted moments out of most of the PT and I was a little sad it wasn’t in the movie.

But yes, leaving it out did add some mysterious air to the scene:)

Sab Jo likes this.
  5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yes, I was sorry that was left out.

6. Kladdagh

Kladdagh Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 9, 2017
    My 2cts ...
    I think they are good actually ...
    The only alternative could be IF GL take the project ... if not ... NO WAY ...

Sab Jo likes this.
  7. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Wow! That's a great scene - How have I never seen that before?? Explains why they were running...

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They were running because they were already in a hurry. No explanation needed.

oierem likes this.
  9. AussieViking

AussieViking Jedi Padawan

May 28, 2017
  10. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    There's clearly a much greater sense of urgency being communicated by the start of the scene than just "They're in a hurry." Obviously, because the scene was originally designed to follow a scene which reveals they're being pursued by some unseen sinister force.

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The urgency was already established (not only do they need to get to Coruscant, but there's the possibility that they have been traced to the location they are in). Them running towards the ship when it's nearby is not something that needed an explanation. Of course, with the deleted scene we know that there was another danger that they were aware of. But without it, the movie already provides more than one perfectly valid logic, which is probably why it was deleted to begin with.

12. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm fine with the way they are. I would love extended versions, as IMO the PT has some of the best deleted scenes. But I wouldn't want any "extended versions" unless they did that with ALL the saga films. It would seem odd to have almost three hour PT films, and then the OT only 2/10-2/12 each...

CaptainEO likes this.
  13. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    I'd love to have the Padme Family Scenes cut into AotC and the Padme Rebellion Scenes cut into RotS. Specially with TCW those Scenes would be a great proper Extention of the what we have seen so far in TCW with Padme, Bail and Mon...and it would even complete the circle as Bail and Mon Mothma return for Rebels AND Rogue One.

14. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    I forgot: there is this Scene with Obi-Wan and Padme before he leaves for Utapau which I'd LOVE to see as cut Scene or in film. I loved this Scene in the book, script and Comic because it showes how close they have become since Episode II.

15. Sab Jo

Sab Jo Jedi Master star 2

Jul 2, 2013
    ROTS already had a special edition. During one scene change there was no transition, but on DVD they added a 'wipe' transition. This completely ruined Star Wars for me. Now I'll never again see the film of my youth. ;)

As for further changes in ROTS, when Dooku shows up at the beginning and Obi wan says 'this time we'll take him together', Anakin will say, ''What do you mean, "this time", we've been trying many times over the past few years, and having to deal with that apprentice of his. And BTW I wonder what Ashoka is doing with her life?'

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  16. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I would really love the reinstatement of the birth of Rebellion in Revenge of the Sith. Amidala was the protagonist of The Phantom Menace, and I get that it's in the structure of the trilogy for her to diminish while Anakin/Vader rises, but you can do that while still giving her something to do before dying.

That would be the one thing I would hope for from such an endeavor. I can't shake the feeling that Kennedy might convince Lucas to take one more swing at these movies for a future 4K release, and honestly, I miss the tinkering.

Triad Moons likes this.
  17. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I certainly wouldn't mind the CGI being touched up to modern standards. I feel like if the CGI was even more life-like it would be one less thing the haters could complain about.

18. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    The vast majority of the CG is so good even despite its age that I can't imagine the cost/benefit would ever be worth it. They're not going to re-do all the CGI. That would be an absurd undertaking.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Sab Jo, KyleKartan and oierem like this.
  19. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I actually agree. I think most of the CGI set pieces look fantastic. The areas where I take issue with the CGI are where it seems like the actors are being limited by it, and that's not something they can really go back and fix.

heels1785 likes this.
  20. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Go back and watch Jar Jar's introduction on a modern TV. It's gorgeous. Particularly the shot when he's following the Jedi, saying "Exsqueeze me!" The shadows of the forest canopy play over his skin, his eyes sparkle, he is THERE. I'll never understand people who think the CGI in Episode I is lacking.

Now, there IS a digital gloss to Episode II, and I can see why people think that makes the movie look "fake". But that's the cameras, not the special effects; all the live footage looks that way too. And that movie is also gorgeous on a modern tv. I find that glossy digital softness really appealing, especially in the Coruscant sequences.

Sab Jo, Deliveranze and darkspine10 like this.
  21. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    [​IMG]

This wouldn't look terribly out of place in a movie coming out in 2018.

The reason is because Lucas knew what ILM was capable of at the time and he played to those strengths. That's why Jar Jar is a rubbery-skinned creature who wears leather clothing--those were two textures which the CGI at the time was more than capable of rendering in a very photorealistic manner, as Jurassic Park well attested.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I know you're not serious, but for those not in the know, that 'wipe' was restored for the Blu-ray release.

Also improved on the Blu-ray were the textures of the structures on Kashyyyk, with more realistic surfaces and added moss and foliage.

DVD (top) vs Blu-ray (bottom):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sab Jo, KyleKartan and heels1785 like this.
  23. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    When you pause to consider that it’s now 20 years old CGI the technological achievement is quite remarkable. Particularly in scenes such as that still of him with Qui-Gonn and Obi Wan.
    However, there were action scenes with Jar Jar that required the animators to then give the creature a palpable sense of heft. So as to further add a credence to the illusion. But they just couldn’t seem to achieve it. For eg.,The early scene of him grappling with Qui Gonn and them both falling to the marsh floor to avoid the TF tank, is like something out of
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It really is as if Qui-Gonn is interacting with a balloon that weighs nothing.
    Jurassic Parks CGi, and in particular the way the dinosaurs interact with their environment, is still to this day much better than TPM’s.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  24. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    There's much less CGI in Jurassic Park than in The Phantom Menace, and there are more tricks at work in Jurassic Park to hide the flaws of that CGI. Much of the time the dinosaurs aren't even CGI but animatronic puppets.

You can't compare isolated scenes of live actors physically interacting with early-generation CGI characters to a movie where the interaction between live actors and CGI elements is minimal. TPM's CGI work is far more impressive due to the sheer ambition and scale of it, which dwarfs Jurassic Park's in every way.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  25. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Oh don’t get me wrong, the majority of the CGI in Menace is still very good. I mean, to this day I still love the scene (and accompanying score) of when we first witness the full magnificence of a daytime Coruscant cityscape. It remains my favourite.
    And yes, it’s ambition and scale were much bigger than JP’s. So I guess a few weak CGI scenes were to be expected after all.
    But nothing in my mind from TPM, even comes close to the Tyrannosaur sequence in JP. It remains a perfect blend. I mean, can you remember when you first watched that scene? It was so well done, that the effects were only really remarked upon if you were watching it for a second time.