main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Upcoming canonization of Legends characters

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Jan 28, 2018.

1. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Oh man I totally forgot to mention Fel, but yes, 100 percent. Actually, gender swap Fel and have him be an antagonist in Solo.

2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Marrying Lando? :p

SpecForce Trooper and Taylore like this.
  3. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Killing Luke Skywalker.

Plot twist: he was actually a Force ghost the entire time in TLJ.

4. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Have Mara show up in a post-RotJ animated series, have Zahn write a novel detailing the character's origins in canon and you're pretty much set as far as introductions go.

5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    If Mara Jade does enter Disney Canon and is force sensitive, I hope she gets a red lightsaber (hey it matches her hair). Symbolic for her Imperial origin and (I wish) her dark side self. None of this purple blade nonsense for an Imperial agent. If she does acquire (not building one as a jedi does) a Jedi Blade later on in her life (post-RoTJ), make it yellow or blue/green.

She can become a master of using Imperial weapons, even practicing with a Inquisitor lightsaber (in single blade form). I'm sure the Empire has mass produced enough of them for their to be extras (The GI seemed to have 1 soon after his other one broke via Vader).

Unlike her Legends counterpart, she should never become a Jedi. We already know the future of Lukes band of soon to be evil or dead Jedi. With the sad fate awaiting post-RoTJ Jedi, remove Mara Jade from that equation.

On the topic of whether Revan should return, I believe elements of his character should come back, while leaving the character itself in a grave of Legends.

Keep the concept of a Jedi military hero and some of his jedi friends (at least 1 close friend) falling during or after an ancient galactic scale war. A jedi vs Mando war is already canon anyways. But unlike Revan, I don't want him (or her) to be responsible for another galactic war (and having control of a huge Military) right after the Jedi defeat the Mandalorians (though he can form his own smaller faction). Also please don't have the jedi participants be a bunch of rouge crusaders, not sanctioned by the council. Instead have this future dark jedi, following the will of the council in deciding to help the hurting Republic. Perhaps not even have him become a sith, but his own man. A darksider that doesn't want to be apart of the Sith of that time. So no "Darth" in his name and waltzing around in darkish robes with a red lightsaber. However he should still wear some war trophies from his time fighting Mandalorians. Such as having his own mando armor.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  6. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Good grief, that article was fanontastically overextended from what limited info is to be found in the Gamemaster Screen. The relevant section doesn't even *mention* the Clone Wars or the New Jedi Order.

I fixed it.

7. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Characters I'd most like to see brought back into the new canon? Anakin Solo and Tahiri Veila. But these things are always risky - if you give a character to a new generation of creatives who don't really "get" the characterization, the result can be disappointing.

I wonder how the core Mara fanbase would respond to a version who didn't have that link with Luke, for example - this is the sort of thing that the people creating the stories often overlook...

- The Imperial Ewok

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Let Legends characters stay legends. I'm way more interested in new characters. ;)

TWO exceptions - Garm Bel Iblis and Borsk Fey'lya. They could be brought in with minimal effort. :cool:

--Adm. Nick

9. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    No sensible redhead would wear (or wield) anything red, my man! ^^

10. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I recall Mara had a purple lightsaber before Mace Windu did (in real life media). Hmm... the wookieepedia page for Mara Jade's lightsaber said the crystal was given by Palpatine.

You don't think... Palpatine found Windu's lightsaber, took out the crystal, and gave it to Mara...?

Daneira, revan772 and PCCViking like this.
  11. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
  12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    A roommate of Cienna from Lost Stars didn't like wearing shoes.
    Maybe if Ben Solo lives and is redeemed, we might get an Anakin Solo again.

13. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    And red hair isn't the same color as a red lightsaber blade, so the whole 'matching' part...

14. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    Mara Jade should return; she's simply the iconic character from classic-era Legends, even moreso than Thrawn I think. She deserves to be part of the ongoing story (as do many other characters, but we won't get all of them*) and new fans deserve to be able to enjoy her adventures. If Zahn writes her reintroduction, it should be solid, if not the same as the old stuff.

As far as what she's best known for, sure people who haven't read the stuff may know her mostly as Luke's wife, but those are people who don't know much about her. I agree with whomever said that she's the "Black Widow of Star Wars," someone who has plenty to her beyond her romantic entanglements.

*Maybe the one thing that bothers me the most is that Jaina Solo is no longer possible. I mean, Rey is the Jaina analog, but that family connection was important to me. Sigh...

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just mention a Jaina Fel.

16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    This x100000000

Actually, we'd need Bomo too.
    [​IMG]

Yeah, that's my avatar

I mean if it was up to me, I'd re-canonize the whole Dark Times series as it is, but it seems that we have to cherry pick characters only.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Barriss_Coffee and Diego Lucas like this.
  17. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I think there is a good reason for Mara Jade to end up having such protagonism in every thread discussing Legends characters. She has a great fanbase and is a very interesting character indeed... I just imagine that since they are so restrained in bringing darksiders into the Empire in Canon, it may be difficult to find a place for her to show up (didn´t Gar Saxon said he was the Emperor´s Hand or Rebels? it sounds like closing a door on the Hands comeback...)

If I can see a Legends Hand working as working very well as a canon Inquisitor, I think Lumiya would be the one. Still. I would love to see different kind of Force Sensitives in the Empire, not all of them carrying lightsabers and hunting Jedi. That´s the Inquisitors role, and that´s why they rank so high in the Empire. In Legends, we had the Inquisitors, sure... and also the Hands, Hethrir as the Procurator of Justice, Cronal as Head of Intelligence, Kadann as Supreme Prophet, the Constable of Homunculi as some sort of mix between a scientist and a darksider devoted to the security of the Clone Labs...

At some point it got too big, and it seemed like there was hundreds of darksiders in the Empire, but I still believe we could get a middle point, with more than 7 or 8 dark siders in the whole Empire. Or at least, if you are sticking to those few ones, really develop them...

18. For my Mara Jade, Dash Rendar and Prince Xizor
    They should return

The rest of the characters leave them in Legends

I do not understand why people want more Legends characters in the new canon
    Then what is the use of having erased the old EU?

19. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    The purpose of "Erasing" the old EU was removing restrictions on the ST and overall canon allowing for a fresh unified slate I thought. Having legends characters return doesn't mean they will have the same stories as they did before or even end up being the same type of character as before.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  20. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    Bad stories and unnecessary baggage?

I want Thrawn and Mara canon but I don’t want NJO and the post NJO EU. Not to crazy about Courtship of Princess Leia, truce at bakura, and some of the KOTOR era stuff either.

21. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes, because we're now certain that EVERY story will be good and universally acclaimed.

22. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    Now you nail my biggest concern about this....I've not been fond of the new stories. I read Aftermath and Life Debt, couldn't get me excited enough to delve into Empire's End, even just to finish it. I preferred to read the boards for the 'what happened' and spare myself the time of reading them.

This summer I finally read Thrawn. It was decent, but just that. Even Zahn writing Thrawn just didn't feel right, but I haven't liked any of the stuff where he's tried to retcon Thrawn into some good guy forced to do bad things in lieu of a greater threat. It disturbs me that people go and change popular villians to make them more palatable. At least Rebels gets this right, if I feel their Thrawn is weaker than the one we know from the Thrawn Trilogy.

I'm really hoping that the new EU gets better once the ST is done and they don't have to walk on eggshells in terms of plot for fear of making something that gets in the way later. Introducing old favorites into these boring plot lines isn't what I hope to see.

Lord Sith Harloxzz likes this.
  23. The new EU is also not perfect
    Has many faults currently
    In Legends at least the stories were more interesting and fascinating in my opinion

If the new EU wants to compete against Legends they will need to create new stories with new characters

I would not like to see a Legends character back in the canon changing his personality

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2018
  24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Thirdly, more female Sith/Dark Siders please.

25. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I was never fond of the EU Bothans as a thing because, for whatever reason, based on Mon Mothma's little offhand mention in ROTJ, I never pictured them as a species... just dudes from a planet, like Corellians. No real reason for that, but no real reason for them to be a species either.

Captain RX likes this.