main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST Complimentary Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    It again fits with my own idea of Luke and Han rubbing off on each other a little more over the decades of friendship. Luke was a little more Han-like at the start of this at times in the same way that a younger brother sort of can become a little bit more like an older brother as the two age.

That line reminded me of Luke channeling Han.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    DL44Jo, MarcJordan and Star war like this.
  2. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Favorite things I noticed the third time:
    - One of the porgs wearing a very small HUD (or what looked like one), which cracked me up
    - Rey's staff-influenced grip on the saber while practicing, which then saves her in the throne room fight
    - I might have been seeing things, but there's a shot in the Yoda scene where his ears are in line with the tree branches
    - The Emperor's Theme use

I love the figurative language in those lines. Another example: "They can't escape, Supreme Leader! We have them tied on the end of a string."

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  3. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Agreed. Some other nice ones like that I recall off hand.

“Leia used to say that hope is like the sun. If you only believe in it when it’s there you’ll never survive the night.”

“You were a bug in the system.”

“He’s a poet with a blaster.”

“We are the spark that will light the fire that will burn the First Order down.”

“Don’t judge the wrapper, Friend.”

“Blip-bloopety bloop. We slice right in.”

“It’s all a machine. Live free. Don’t join.”

“I stoked my apprentice’s conflicted soul. I knew he was not strong enough to keep it from you.”

“And look at you... the deed split your spirit to the bone.”

“It passed like a fleeting shadow.”

4. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    My favorite is "We are what they grow beyond."
    If youre a parent this makes extreme sense.

And star wars has grown beyond the saga ...kylo says to let the past go....now we go into a future not constricted to the story of the past. Rey and Kylo are truly the beyond in this trilogy as luke was to Ben/Yoda.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  5. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    This new Yoda quote is up there with "Do it, or do not, there is no try" and "this is why you fail".

6. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Agreed. It’s amazing. There are so many great lines. I honestly think Johnson wrote some the best dialogue in Star Wars not written by Lucas in ‘77 or Kasdan afterward.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  7. ColemanKcajFTW

ColemanKcajFTW Jedi Master star 1

Jan 14, 2014
    I think for me, one of my favorite scenes is during the first lesson, when Rey is sensing the Force permeating through the island. There's so many awesome details to it, but the one that always gets me is when Luke is circling around Rey as she's describing everything. Maybe it's just Mark's expression, or the fact he just sounds so engaged while he's guiding her, but it just struck me at that moment, he was envious of Rey, wishing he could just bask in feeling that connection to everything.

8. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I’d never considered that. Great observation. Despite what some think, especially in light of the third lesson deleted scene, I do think he was warming up to Rey and that she was a part of several reasons he reconnected to the Force and was making strides. It’s just that seeing Ben Solo trying to corrupt another student was just a huge setback moment for him in that process.

ColemanKcajFTW likes this.
  9. Maul316

Maul316 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 7, 2001
    Except, who exactly was Yoda referring to? Luke hadn't even trained Rey. Who was growing beyond who, who exactly does that quote apply to? Ben? So he grew past Luke to the dark side? How inspiring, Yoda. Just seemed like Rian liked the phrase, so he stuck it in there without it making sense to the story at hand.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  10. Grilled Hutt

Dec 24, 2003
    Anyhow i saw it again today and i gotta say i never noticed that threepio slipped in the "to one" after Poe tells him to shut up. Gold.
    When Luke is about to fade at end.., I dont get the sense (good pun) they are sensing his death, i think they feel the force and that luke is ascending to a higher plane..i mean COME ON..Yoda showed up a good 30 years later. So i feel Luke can still be an essential part like Obiwan was in the OT possibly. So that makes me feel better that is not all about the Crude Matter.

My post ends here...below is my response for one person.

@Maul316 saud: "Except, who exactly was Yoda referring to? Luke hadn't even trained Rey. Who was growing beyond who, who exactly does that quote apply to? Ben? So he grew past Luke to the dark side? How inspiring, Yoda. Just seemed like Rian liked the phrase, so he stuck it in there without it making sense to the story at hand"

yeah, i cant explain some of these metaphysical things to people who arent going to get it no matter how many times its explained.
    I already have seen your line of thought on the complaints thread just simply clicking on your profile - you spend a fair amount of time there. Nothing said will satisfy you anything i say so i regret having to expend more energy even replying to this. Yodas phrase made perfect sense and quiet frankly - You dont take the force into consideration, nor did you take the lessons in consideration, that the force guides all things. Luke isnt giving the lesson, the force is and the force flows through all things. Lukes experience with Yoda is all the teacher student dynamic you need to understand and if youre old enough you can reflect upon it...if youre young...well you wont get that either. I understand telling my kids things when they were 6 7 8 9 and now they are in their 30's they are telling me things they remember me telling them when they were young and they are so much better than me in so many ways at their age than when i was that age.... they grew beyond me. And man if YOU dont get that...we have nothing to say to each other because im on a different plane of existence you just arent gonna get.
    and lastly you assume Rian likes or wrote the phrase and just want to keep ranting about your dislike for the man, and YOU are putting words in his mouth saying he "stuck it in there".
    You gotta reboot man or stick to your guns somewhere else... its obvious you have no love for it...why bother coming in here? [face_dunno]stop wasting everyones time in here by posting argumentative posts that have no cred.

DL44Jo likes this.
  11. Maul316

Feb 7, 2001
    So the answer is... "the force". Got it. I guess, just like god, you can plug that in whenever something doesn't make sense. The Force of the Gaps reasoning. Talk about "no cred." Also, I've never ranted about my dislike for Rian Johnson, so why are you putting words in MY mouth? And why are you spending time in the complaint thread... while at the same time telling me not to spend time in this thread? You are all over the place. I made a single argument insulting no one here personally, and your post has all sorts of borderline slights at my character.

Regardless, since the mods have made it clear that it's perfectly okay for lovers of the movie to respond to essentially every post in the complaint thread, I see no reason why I can't come in here and do likewise. Unless you want there to be a double standard?

12. Grilled Hutt

Dec 24, 2003

Your words exactly: (all assumption)
    "Just seemed like Rian liked the phrase, so he stuck it in there without it making sense to the story at hand" I put nothing in your mouth, just saying youre not saying factual things.

Just from the very tone of your post all i had to do was click your name and see your posts and all i saw was a wall of Complaint thread. So therefore, since I MYSELF dont hang out over there and make underhanded posts trying to make arguments for whatever and whatever. JUST STOP, MAN. Your post just wants to poke holes wherever they can. Theres a plot hole thread, why cant you read the TITLE of this THREAD? I didnt tell you not to hang out here, i said take your verbiage elsewhere. As for cred, you werent talking about anything favorite, so therefore theres no credibility...why are you astounded by that?
    yes im a lover of the film but i do not hang out there in complaints thread, i made 2 posts, realized the futility and never went back. I like my happy place, you go to your happy place.

Move along please.

13. Maul316

Feb 7, 2001
    No, that's not what you were saying, you said I was "ranting about my dislike for the man". I was giving a possible explanation for something that didn't make sense, and considering Rian Johnson is indeed the writer, does it not make sense to hold him responsible? I literally posted ONE post here, and this is the kind of response I get.

Oh, so I can "hang out" here with your permission (thanks), but I can't post? Like I said before, if you have a problem with someone creating discussion about the movie here, about disagreeing with what people liked, then inform the mods that they shouldn't allow fans of the movie to do the opposite in the complaints thread. If one single post is going to upset you this much, I can't imagine how you'd react if you were on the other side, listening to apologists defend nearly every complaint in the other thread.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  14. Maul316

Feb 7, 2001
    Regardless, this is all pretty pointless as nothing is likely to change. Maybe I will keep posting here, maybe not - this thread isn't nearly as active as the other one. I'm also not as interested, believe it or not, in derailing discussions and being insufferable as the TLJ fans in the complaint thread are. So, continuing on...

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  15. Grilled Hutt

Dec 24, 2003
    disagreeing with what people like is NOT the point of this thread. Being insufferable is also not an attribute desired here. Why not post something you liked about the movie or continue on in an more appropriate thread. I’m already embarrassed i had to waste an entire page on this thread having a conversation i did not ask for, want to participate in, nor refute.
    let’s not continue to beat a dead horse

and i hope a mod doesnt have to come in (or does) and waste time telling us this entire conversation is not necessary so can we just agree to disagree or whatever and move on. If you still feel the need to discuss this you can PM me.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    DL44Jo and Ricardo Funes like this.
  16. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Are you serious? You don't know who he was referring to? What Dark Side moment with a student lead Luke to these issues in the first place? Who do you think Luke was referring to when he said he was weak and unwise? Last but not least... Yoda literally says the words, "Lose Ben Solo we did. Lose Rey we must not."

The line -- and it's a brilliant line -- is about Ben Solo of course. It's to make Luke feel better about his guilt and how hard it is to be a Master / Mentor / Teacher because at a certain point all students are going to become independent to the extent of making their own choices and Ben Solo did when he began listening to Snoke and wanting to pick up the mantle of everything Luke had spent his life trying to undo regarding Darth Vader.

It's primarily about Luke wondering just how much was Snoke and just how much was him there and Yoda wanting to reassure him that Ben had already decided he'd grown beyond Luke at that point and was listening to a new Master by then but it's also about how Rey has made up her mind just as Luke had on Dagobah all those years ago that she was right and that the master she was speaking with was wrong and nothing was going to convince her otherwise, just as very little would have convinced Luke in that moment. The burden of all teachers / parents / mentors is having to eventually watch their anyone they teach make mistakes big and small and not heed their masters / parents / teachers advice as much as those same people which they would.

EDIT - And part of the reason this thread isn't as active is because for some reason we've turned it only into listing new things we notice and like instead of actually turning all of that into something more conversational and discussion-based like what happens in the complaints threads. That's on us for just listing things we like and only using the like button instead of expanding more.

Grilled Hutt likes this.
  17. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I think it's partly that the analysis thread has been used for the more discussion-based stuff. Coincidentally, I was thinking about the recent Rey discussion over there. I like how Rey's anxiety is shown (through the writing and acting), for instance when Luke asks why she, of all people, is there. That's a much more difficult subject for her than, say, the need of the Resistance. Then there's her statement to Luke after his (incomplete) recounting of the incident with Ben. "The galaxy may need a legend. I need someone to show me my place in all this." Of course, that statement is misguided, but it's a step for her to reach out like that, and unprompted. Daisy makes it even more real and heartfelt with a slight, nervous stutter on 'show'.

18. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I love irony.

19. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Great observations. She doesn’t have the revenge motivation Luke had in ANH so in some ways her start is closer to Anakin’s. Except she doesn’t have the equivalent of Jedi school or the goal of being on the council or anything like that to propel her.

In TFA she’s captured and needs to escape and defend herself to get away. In TLJ she’s trying to help bring an old legend back. This is her first real time to stop and smell the roses or (feel the rain coming off the Falcon) since really sensing these powers in a more overt way and this allows us to get to know her and her blind spots more.

Through it all she hasn’t had someone tell her she was born for this or that one of her parents was a famous Jedi or that Snoke or Kylo Ren hurt her family. She’s a scavenger who has had this tremendous awakening within her and she’s looking for a long time for someone to better explain what it means and what she should do with it. Ben Solo was the first to offer to show her the ways of the Force and to he’s also the first Force user to tell her that she is not a nobody to him. She’s a young adult trying to figure out who she wants to be and what is possible in her life while struggling to figure out all of these powers and experiences in the middle of war.

20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Luke talking about Darth Sidious.

21. JediRunner

JediRunner Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2005
    The relationship between Rey and Leia.
    Luke teaching Rey about the force.
    The whole scene with Yoda and Luke.

DL44Jo and Ricardo Funes like this.
  22. VanLiz

VanLiz Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2002
    Kylo Ren said it but Luke actually did it. The only way Luke could become the hero the Resistance needed was to let his anger and disappointment because of what happened with Ren go.

DL44Jo, Grilled Hutt and themoth like this.
  23. VanLiz

Apr 13, 2002
    That was awesome. Projecting himself like that was more awesome than him showing in person. Has any other Jedi (or Sith or whatever) done anything like this before? Luke IS a legend.

DL44Jo, Lost_Hope and Ricardo Funes like this.
  24. VanLiz

Apr 13, 2002
    Yes, although they look like Imperials

25. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    What did you fans think of Kylo Ren’s Tie Silencer?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DL44Jo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.