main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams directing Episode IX Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by 2Cleva, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    JJ needs to build on TLJ. TLJ added texture and depth and little complexity. Those are good things, if Star Wars is going to remain vital. Being the final film of the trilogy, I think we can expect IX to be a bit more uplifting, but I think it's important to press forward here.

dolphin and Star war like this.
  2. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    I don't have a problem with female empowerment (although I don't care to have it shoved down my throat). I've been a fan of Sigourney Weaver's Ellen Ripley since day 1. I'm especially disappointed Captain Phasma is gone

My issue is tone. The Last Jedi is tonally more in step with Disney's vision for the Marvel franchise which I absolutely abhor (and probably why so many seem to love it). I don't hate the Marvel universe; I just don't want it infecting Star Wars.

Despite JJ's faults, he successfully captured the tone of the original Star Wars trilogy more than Rian Johnson IMO. Kasdan may have had something to do with that.

Give me Knights of Ren and I'm optimistic about the final chapter. :)

Shadao, MasterPrince713 and kalzeth like this.
  3. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    I don't think we need confirmation on Reys parents she confirmed it herself, she knew but was in denial, deep down she knew they would never come back for her, some people don't like it but I think its rather tragic and adds a layer of vulnerability to Rey.

I think her being of some important bloodline and being another "I am your father" moment would have just felt forced and cheap and there would've been greater accusations laid at TLJ being a rip off as there was for TFA. Fans are pissed right now but in time I think they will come to accept it was the right call in the long run.

As far as JJ goes im not sure he even had the answers for the questions he posed in TFA its part of the problem of his whole mystery box shtick, which we he went well overboard with in TFA. That said im optimistic one thing he will answer is the Knights of Ren and they will feature prominatly now Kylo is in the seat of power

Star war and MrElculver2424 like this.
  4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes he will bring Star Wars back to his roots. I have an idea for the opening crawl!
    [​IMG]

5. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

[face_rofl]^:)^

MasterPrince713 likes this.
  6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    UPDATED TITLE.

7. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Can not wait to see where the adventure goes and how it concludes; amazing times ahead for all Star Wars fans ... here's to an exciting two years

8. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    JJ Abrams has been busy creating his new sci-fi TV series, Demimonde, which just got ordered to series by HBO (Apple was a contender to pick it up too). JJA is the sole creator and writer of the series. He will also co-executive produce. I wonder how much time this will take away from what he can devote to Episode IX. Plus he has other projects cooking, including another Star Trek
    http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/j-j-abrams-tv-series-demimonde-hbo-1202684648/
    I have watched quite a few of his TV offerings. Fringe remains one of my all-time favorite series. Looking forward to this one too.

kalzeth, mlsw and Gemlake like this.
  9. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Speaking of J.J: given how successful Stranger Things and It are, I guess Super 8 was, ehm... a bit ahead of its' time. The 80's nostalgia hadn't really kicked in at that point, in 2011. I don't like the movie that much myself, but I think it would have been a lot more successful if it came out today.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    mlsw and Darth Smurf like this.
  10. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    Mmm. I was thinking it's possible TLJ could've been a vision Rey had whilst meditating after Luke takes her in on Ahch-To, and IX features a more seasoned Rey alongside Luke and she explains that she had a terrible vision. And they look to see a large NR fleet and a group of a dozen or so Jedi.

I'm not kidding or trolling, I'm just attempting to salvage whatever hope I have left for Ep. IX which is fairly miniscule at the moment.

11. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Yeah, that is not going to happen. The people in charge loved the movie - they gave Johnson an entire new trilogy because of it - and yes, that includes JJ Abrams.

Making it all a prolonged vision of future is like Dallas erasing all of season 9 to bring back Bobby. The whole franchise would completely jump the shark if they would ever do something like that. As a matter of fact, this would not only have to erase TLJ, it would also have to erase much of TFA to make any kind of sense. Where would the Jedi come from? where would the Republic fleet come from?

Trying to salvage your hope for IX isn't going to happen by trying to wipe out everything that happened before. If anything, that kind of thinking leads you much further away from getting a positive outcome, because this guarantees your future disappointment.

12. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Far as I'm concerned they jumped the shark with TLJ, if they're gonna dig their grave they might as well make themselves comfortable in it. Wiping out what happened before is basically what they've done with TLJ, making it clear that rich people can only get rich by being war profiteers, allies who don't step up when needed, the NR and Jedi wiped out because of hubris, etc., DJ's bit about how it's all business and good guys-bad guys made are made up words' completely oversimplifies the vastness of SW and it's all disgustingly offensive to me.

Having any positive hopes seems to only be making a pathway to disappointment.

JJ didn't make TFA only for RJ to turn several of its concepts and mysteries into 'unpredictable' moments and slapstick comedies. That ending was meant to be the start of something truly special between Luke and Rey but RJ jumped the gun. Now that he's out, JJ needs to do something that salvages it. Some may agree, some may disagree with me, but as it stands, for me TLJ is definitely not on par with TESB. In fact, it barely qualifies as a SW movie for me.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  13. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I'm going to have this embroidered on a pillow.

kalzeth likes this.
  14. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    I'll want my cut.

15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    See, that's just it, you are ignoring actual reality. JJ Abrams made TFA, and he was fully on board with what Rian Johnson did with TLJ. In fact, he was so enthusiastic about the script that he was disappointed he couldn't direct the movie himself. Complaining about the humour is rather weird as well when you don't do the same for TFA. Yes, there is quite a bit of it, more than in most of the older Star Wars movies, but it was exactly the same in TFA. And slapstick is hardly new to the franchise either.

How would you know that the ending was supposed to be "something truly special between Luke and Rey"?
    That's nothing but your assumption. Luke left everything behind and told no one where he would go. What exactly makes you think he would be thrilled about Rey appearing and jump right into training her?

They haven't wiped out anything. Basically I don't see how anything of what you said is actually in the movie. And that is exactly the problem. You are never going to get what you want, and by clinging to such absurd hopes, you are only going to be even more disappointed when Episode IX comes out.

16. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Wanna talk about complaining and clinging? I could say the same to you when it's clear you're obviously reaching, stretching or outright ignoring the obvious groundwork that came before.

Same way Mark Hamill eventually 'came around' to RJ's kind of thinking after expressing his disagreements. Much like you constantly thrusting your opinions in my face. Cite a source that says JJ was on board, even then it was probably much like Mark's 'conforming.' TFA definitely took itself more seriously than TLJ, there was humor maybe every 10/20 minutes, with TLJ it was every 5, it was suffocating and fell flat.

I would know because the expressions say all. That is the measure of what superb acting is. It's specifically stated in a script that he knows why she's there and who she is, not 'who' she is, but enough. When she holds out the Lightsaber he recognizes it, he's momentarily dumbfounded and his lips tighten in stubborn defiance about going back, but then when Rey's face goes from nervous apprehension to sheer determination, his mouth drops in awe and you can tell his own spark of hope was lighting up. THAT was TFA, the spark should've already been lit. Destroying SKB, a system destroying superweapon, was definitely a bigger message than making a monkey of Kylo Ren with what essentially amounted to a Force hologram. RJ destroyed all that for no other reason than to create a movie that defied expectations.

'You don't see' or you refuse to? Perhaps both. Essentially telling me to shut up and enjoy it, isn't gonna help your case. I was onboard during the PT, not with the fossils of the OT. It's not 'absurd' to hope they don't defecate on my childhood.

To quote Thrawn082:
    "I pick on TLJ more than TFA because it double-down on things. TFA was merely set up, TLJ didn't have to go in that direction though. Also them bragging about how "new and bold" it was (it isn't, imo) didn't help matters. At least JJ Abrams was open about TFA being nostalgia-heavy." JJ actually steps up, RJ's ego just won't allow him to admit his movie's own failings.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    This is not the year 2000. "Absurd" statements about these movies ruining/destroying/defecating on one's childhood went out with pocket pagers and dial-up internet. They've also long been against our "no bashing" rule. On top of that, you're off topic. Calm yourself, and let's get back to JJ and Ep. 9.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Artoo-Dion likes this.
  18. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    "You are never going to get what you want, and by clinging to such absurd hopes, you are only going to be even more disappointed when Episode IX comes out."

You know what, you may be a moderator, you may be able to ban me, but I don't have to stand for comments like that. And I especially don't have to stand for a cursory attempt to mock me. 'This is not the year 2000'; went out with pocket pagers and dial-up internet.'

How else am I supposed to take that but the wrong way?

I agree this is a topic regarding JJ directing Ep. IX, and it is because of that that I have hope that this movie will at least take itself more seriously.

19. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    I agree.

TBH i think Rian's script was actually better than JJ's .

TFA was a good movie but it did nothing for the characters especially Rey and Finn.

The second Han Solo entered it became solo family drama and Rey Finn felt like outsiders watching it and suffering for it when they had nothing to do with it.

While in TLJ every character had a challenge to face and his/her own story.

I know people think the resistance plot was useless but it gave the characters their motivations.

We know where every characters stands now.

TFA had nostalgia and mystery boxes going for it nothing else was actually there really.

TLJ actually had substance and a story. It answered some questions which fans didnt like, thats it .

It was a good movie.

I dont like every decision Rian made but i enjoyed it.

Lost_Hope likes this.
  20. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    You're welcome to your opinions, but RJ isn't behind this movie. I don't need a lecture or a paragraph telling me why my own opinions are wrong and how you like TLJ.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    This is not the place for you to complain about TLJ or Rian Johnson. I'll say it again. Calm yourself, and get back on topic or leave the thread.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  22. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Does anyone know when Ep. IX's filming is even supposed to start?

Part of what would help JJ is if he has the years to actually work on his movie. Designs, concept art and the like suffer for a lack of time. At least, I can't help but think so.

23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I think it's scheduled for June.

24. MadBoomBoom

MadBoomBoom Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2017
    Let me guess Kylo Ren is going to die in Episode IX? or Rey? What is the point of bringing back Mark Hamill and the gang when all you're going to do is kill them off one by one. How can fans be happy about this?

MasterPrince713 likes this.
  25. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I believe it would be a big mistake to undo what RJ has done with TLJ. At the end of the day, JJ said he loved TLJ script and it would make sense to follow the set path of the trilogy. I think there is room for adjustments, like setting the tone more towards TFA than towards TLJ, and trimming down the absurd Marvel humor.

But expecting JJ to resucitate Luke or make Rey a Skywalker does not make much sense IMO.

Tabbie and Star war like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.