main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Haha, whoops -- I reversed actor and character! They're both Agent-names, I mean Nick Blood and Lance Hunter? C'mon!

pronker likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol. I just don't know him from anything else, so he'd be the last one I'd use the actor's name over the character's. Like, I always called Patton Oswalt's characters the Brothers Oswalt.

pronker likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Bobbi has been off on a romantic getaway with Nick Fury for the last year or so. That's why we haven't seen the guy for years.

pronker likes this.
  4. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    [face_nail_biting]for May. [:D] for FitzSimmons. [face_frustrated] for Quake. :kylosaber: for
    Tess and Grill and Cutthroat Victim; I was :eek: at the feeling that AOS ... in Spaaaace! might be winding up quicker than supposed.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I think we only have two more episodes in this pod. But...
    Kassius and Sinara aren't dead. Jemma was using a butter knife, and Fitz was using an Icer. The psychic Inhuman though is also on the dead list along with Tess and Grill.

HOWEVER, we may now have a stable timeloop -- if that Inhuman kid gets brought back with them and HE is the cause of the Earth going kablooey, since he's got a stack Earth together power, can't control it, and immediately goes to destroying things...

6. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Ooh, neat speculation!!

Per Wiki, the Inhumans precog character was "Ari Dalbert as Bronaja: A young Inhuman who has visions of the future" so no relation to AOS' precog Ben unless he changed his name to a similar sounding one and avoided aging for decades ... *trails off muttering to self*

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh my god, they're dead aren't they?

pronker and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It might be the other way around, actually- what if the new kid is able to use his powers in the future to pull the planet back together? I mean, it's not going to undo everything but there'd still be an Earth then...

CooperTFN and pronker like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    high body count in this episode, I approve. Slight quibble, Fitz is disguised as a "Marauder" (apparently random non-Dark Elf goons in Thor the Dark World) but I'm wondering why they didn't disguise Fitz as a Ravager instead? Maybe because since AoS in Spaaccceee is set in the future and they don't know if the film side of the MCU will kill off the Ravagers at some point. But it's the future and really likely an alternate timeline (cuz the Earth is still going to be there in the end) so just say Fitz is disguised as a Ravager instead, c'mon now.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    pronker likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Season 6 is in the cards.

"We continue to be very excited about what they’re doing with SHIELD… The creative this season, I honestly think is the strongest that it’s ever been. We’ve been really excited about what the producers have been talking about for the second half of the season. I’m really looking forward to hearing them come in and talk about what their ideas would be for the season 6 so we can make a better determination about whether we’re going to order another season or not.”

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    That surprising news to me as pretty much everything else I've been reading has been to the contrary. But, I guess it will depend on how inexpensive Season 6 will be. I mean, this season has been pretty budget friendly as there isn't a Ghost Rider type of character that requires a heavy amount of CGI and it's been pretty much confined to one set piece of the space station.

I read a headline in my social media feed saying that an element from Agents of SHIELD season one and from Agent Carter may play a big role in this season and that's...

dark matter or whatever it was. I didn't click on the headline to avoid anymore potential spoiler.

pronker likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Good, I really hope so. Leaving the whole gravitonium/Graviton/Darkforce plot thread hanging would have been a little annoying if this was the last season.

And, even though they don't have a heavy CGI character, it looks like they invested a lot in the FX work what with all the space sequences, Kree makeup, the number of extras, etc.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime and pronker like this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, Agents of SHIELD definitely spend some money on their show, unlike Inhumans which pretty much had all the characters (at least the "heroes") in regular human clothes by the third or fourth episode.

As for that potential spoiler element, it would help tie things together and tie things up. Speaking of which, was the ultimate nullilfier in season one? I thought Coulson might have picked it up. That piece of hardware means so much more with Disney getting the Fantastic Four.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't believe so, no.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah I'm surprised ABC would keep it around too but maybe they're actually happy with it's Friday Night Death Slot numbers, comparatively speaking to what usually happens there. Or, y'know, there's always the Mickey Wants Marvel

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    pronker likes this.
  16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Okay, here's my feeling about what caused everything to go boom.

The Kree were planning to destroy the Earth and had sent an agent to set it up. That agent is General Hale, which is why she killed Evans and Lucas. I could be wrong about hee, but I think that's about right giving her willingness to kill two soldiers. Anyway, the Gravitonium was going to be weaponized to destroy the Earth and Daisy attempted to stop it, but failed and the Kree blame her as a way of demoralizing humanity's survivors. Notice that in "The Last Day", no one in the team blames Daisy for what happened and Yo Yo talks about fighting the Kree.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    In the Fitz flashback episode, was it established how Fitz knew where the space station was in 2017 cuz he said he hid a stock of weapons there but I don't know how he knew about it and how the weapons / space station got there.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  18. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    [​IMG]
    It's taking patience to follow this pod. I'm coping, but this villain with the same name from another fandom is what springs to mind whenever "Destroyer of Worlds" is spoken.[face_clown]

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I believe this last episode establishes a time loop- they get pulled forward in time (or take the long way), do what they gotta do, get sent back in time, try to stop the destruction of the planet, fail and live out their days until the future becomes present once more and their past selves arrive. But things may be different this time and break the loop, possibly due to the girl?

He hid the weapons before he went into the cryo pod. Remember they took the girl to an underground SHIELD base that was literally under a lighthouse? That chunk of earth/base becomes the Lighthouse station after the cataclysm (with the addition of Kree-provided water and air filtration systems and gravitonium for artifical gravity).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Watching the last episode was like watching an episode of LOST, as I was like "WHAT? WHEN? WHERE? WHO?" I felt there was a different timeline.

[​IMG]

But May has the answer. She better have the answer.

pronker likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This week’s episode was satisfying- I didn’t think the Mack/Yo-Yo/Flint subplot would be better going in but it actually won out (despite the awesome zero-G fight on the Zephyr). But then Kasias has gone full Goa’uld at this point (you could even say his staff-carrying bodyguards are Jaffa Kree! ) so that makes human uprisings against such characters more enjoyable on a Stargate level by default :).

(Though tonight’s episode kinda makes me wish more of this story pod could have just been Mack and Yo-Yo actively fighting Kasias’s forces)

Also surprised to see them bring back the GH serum/blood resurrection technology- didn’t expect them to tie in another early season plot point so soon after bringing back the gravitonium, even if it makes perfect sense (albeit with widespread ramifications for the cosmic MCU).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime and pronker like this.
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The show has done a good job in making hate Kasias. I can't wait for that dude to get his death.

As this season went on, I'm definitely feeling it's in its own pocket universe as there's no signs/references of the Avengers or another super hero. Which is fine, but also kind of a bummer that the show never really connected with the MCU proper like everyone hoped or expected.

However, it was nice to see the cast on the red carpet for the Black Panther premiere.

As for the blood technology bit, I didn't remember that being part of the show.

pronker likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The blood tech was used to resurrect Coulson and used here to bring back the Trauler girl (and others...). If Kasias has it, then it may be more widely known amongst the Kree/cosmic factions, which would be a pretty significant game changer, potentially.

As for connections, I'd wait until the season is over before judging that- seasons 3 & 4 didn't have much to latch onto (ok, season 3 had Civil War but they were going for a thematic approach then) but it'll be impossible for them to ignore Infinity War.

I did take note of Kasias thinking that without SHIELD there'd be no one to stop his father's legion, though. Which implies he either wasn't aware of the Avengers or knows they are split up and unaware/not close enough to respond to historical events.

24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    As strong as this season has been dramatically I confess to having big fundamental doubts regarding the time travel situation.

You can do a universe where everything is predestined or you can do a universe where you can change things but you kind of have to pick one. If traveling through time altered events then the future the agents arrived in should have been one in which they all vanished in 2017 and were never seen again--full stop. On top of that, if they can change the past and prevent the Earth from being destroyed then the future we've been living in should have vanished as soon as they left, which the Tess/Flint coda (great though it was) contradicts.

But obviously, they are going to prevent it one way or another--and I have trouble envisioning a way to satisfyingly explain that divergence from the rules they've been operating under thus far. I do appreciate that they've been using FitzSimmons to dramatize this exact debate, but according to everything we've seen, Fitz is right--and if predestination is the rule right up until the moment they magically change something that strikes me as cheating. The only satisfying alternative I can think of is to explicitly invoke the many-worlds interpretation and explain that they've actually created an alternate universe, while the Deke/Tess/Flint future still exists out there with Daisy having failed, Yo-Yo becoming a prisoner, etc. This week's coda makes that a slightly more pleasant thought, but still, yeesh.

Aside from all that, I'll also echo the thought that doing a story of this scale without even mentioning the Avengers is a little awkward.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Eh, yes and no. Generically, I agree with you -- you either have a mutable time stream or an immutable time stream, and you have to pick one or it falls apart (one of the reasons Looper fails so miserably).

I think even with the Marvel multiverse it may theoretically work that way (i.e. Earth-616 vs. Earth-999999). But there's nothing to suggest it can't be both a mutable time stream and a multiversal transport. So, for instance, let's assume that the monolith transports them to the future, they learn about the past, go back and try and change it, and get stuck in a time-loop... there's nothing to suggest it's not like "Cause and Effect" (Star Trek: The Next Generation) where you change something minutely each time and you still get the same outcome: Earth destroyed, Daisy blamed, submit to Kree, etc.

However, there's also nothing to rule out that each time they're not being put into a different (Prime, alternate, etc.) future by the monolith -- such that the fundamentals remain the same (and Elena can still give relevant information to Kasius), but that Flint and Tess don't wink out of existence even if the SHIELD team succeeds. This may also be how:
    Coulson may not die, thus averting Elena's warning. Also, theoretically Ghost Rider's deal may come into play there...

Jedi Merkurian likes this.