main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which Trilogy's Big 3 Is Your Favorite?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darkslayer, Feb 3, 2018.

?

Favorite Big 3?

1. The Prequels: Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Padme

16 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. The Originals: Luke, Leia, and Han

34 vote(s)
    65.4%
  3. The Sequels: Rey, Poe, and Finn

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Which group of main characters was your favorite?

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Finn and Rey are such great characters that I am going with the ST. Poe just seems sorta tacked on as the 3rd.

teamhansolo likes this.
  3. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    My avi says it all.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    It should be Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka, from my perspective, though the PT characters are my favorite only because of the clone wars for me... not from the movies...

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Luke, Leia and Han. But I do like the other two trios. The ST trio needs to reunite and work together more.

Force Smuggler, Snafu55 and Avnar like this.
  6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Luke, Leia and Han!!
    Rey, Poe and Finn are cool but suffer from not really being a trio... How many scenes have they actually had together??
    Anakin, Padme and Obi Wan... I didn't buy the friendships or the relationships at all.

Shadao and Sarge like this.
  7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Han, Luke, and Leia. Perfect throughout.

Shadao and Avnar like this.
  8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Most interesting characters. The PT.

Best dynamic between characters. The OT.

Most likeable characters. The ST.

Except that since after two movies the 'trio' of the ST hasn't had even one scene together I don't know they really qualify. To me if there is a trio of the ST it's Rey, Ren and Finn because at least they've actually had interactions.

Kururu, HevyDevy and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.
  9. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    They literally only had one scene overall together, at the end of TLJ in the Falcon and that was added only to show that Poe and Rey officially met

10. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Anakin lets the PT trio down. The OT trio’s chemistry is amazing, but the ST trio are all extremely likeable. I’ve gotta go with the ST.

11. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    Nothing can beat Han, Luke, and Leia.

Avnar likes this.
  12. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    To be fair, one can argue that the ST's main trio is Rey, probably Finn, and Kylo/Ben. I rather like the unique idea of having the antagonist play a central role as the main focus of attention. He definitely has a more directly prominent "main charactery" role than Vader did in the OT

And for what it's worth, Poe WAS supposed to be a minor character who died ten minutes in, so

Jedi Knight Fett and Snafu55 like this.
  13. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padme, of course.

All three are wonderfully connected - Obi-Wan saved Padme and trained Anakin and Anakin and Padme later married and got children. Obi-Wan and Anakin were the action heroes here, Padme politician, they handled things differently, they all had different perspectives which made their dynamics very interesting to watch and there's something about tragic destinies of the characters that makes me more interested.

Luke, Han and Leia are second.

Rey, Finn and Poe... Well, I feel nothing there.

Shadao, Kururu, Deliveranze and 2 others like this.
  14. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I agree that the lead trio of the third trilogy is Rey, Finn and Kylo. In TFA, at least, there was no question about that. I was surprised to see Poe in such a major role in TLJ, actually.

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Anakin, Padme, and Obi-Wan. They hit the sweet spot of being interesting on their own terms while also interconnecting as a trio. For the OT I think Luke's arc transcends the big three connection by a considerable margin. ST clearly last. Finn's the only one I care for, and even then at time he feels like more of a bumbling sidekick than a main.

16. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    The OT 3 closely followed by the PT 3. For me the difference came down to Leia/Padme.

17. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Maybe we should actually consider the lead ensemble of the new trilogy a "Big Four" as of TLJ.

Darkslayer and Sarge like this.
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_love] the OT all the way. :D [face_love]

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think they should have killed him. It would have made things more clear.

20. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    The OT. They’re great characters with great chemistry. They all have their own arcs and have a clear bond.

The ST characters are strong, but they aren’t really a “trio”. First, it’s more like four main leads instead of three. Second, they don’t have the sort of tight relationship the OT characters have. Rey and Kylo, Rey and Finn, and Finn and Poe are all great relationships, but Poe and Kylo don’t really have a relationship, and neither do Poe and Rey. It’s just a different structure.

The PT’s “trio” just doesn’t work at all. Anakin and Obi-wan have neither a believable master/student relationship or a believable “brotherly” dynamic. The closest we get is some playful banter between Anakin and Obi-wan at the start of ROTS, but by then it’s too little, too late. And of course, I don’t think I even have to explain what’s wrong with the Anakin/Padme relationship.

Avnar, Grey Matter and Sarge like this.
  21. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    The prequels started with an ensemble cast. So it would be OB1, Qui, Padme, Anakin and Jar Jar.

Besides, the cast isn't just made up of them are they? Chewy? R2?

And the ST can't physically have a set trio. Too many characters exist in the forefront.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The OT 3 had the perfect mix of likeable characters, good chemistry, and believable relationships. The ST 3 are good, but still not up to the same level as the OT, mainly because we haven't seen all 3 together for more than a moment. I don't have anything positive to say about the PT 3.

Avnar likes this.
  23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    In that case, you could probably add Chewie to the OT Big 3 and Yoda to the PT Big 3 (would have said Qui-Gon but he's only in 1 movie).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  24. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I picked the OT trio, Luke, Leia, and Han. Luke is my favorite SW character for one (and the other two are in my top five favorite characters) and the three were really good friends and I enjoyed the interaction between them.

The PT trio would be my second favorite, since Anakin is my second favorite SW character and I like Padme too, but I don't like Obi-Wan.

As for the ST, I would consider Rey, Finn, and Kylo the main trio. Finn and Rey had a nice dynamic together in TFA that was sadly lacking in TLJ. I like Kylo too. But I don't like Poe, if he is really considered the last member of the "big three" in the ST.

25. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    To add onto this; The whole "Big 3" thing is too limiting. Poe,Rey and Finn? They have completely different journey's together that don't mesh wither each other. Padme, Obi-Wan and Anakin? A little of the same with the ST. As time moved on, other characters become more involved into the crew.

The thread should be re-titled; Who is your favorite cast of the SW films?

@Darkslayer Is it possible for you to request a name change form the mods? I just feel that this thread should expound on itself. I don't mean to pry..