main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rate The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by chris hayes, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Rate the Last Jedi in the choices below

Poll closed Jan 13, 2018.
  1. 5/5 Absolutely loved it

30.6%
  2. 4/5 Solid a good addition to the saga

18.8%
  3. 3/5 It was ok , worthy but flawed

11.8%
  4. 2/5 Some eye candy but felt underwelmed

16.2%
  5. 1/5 Meh Dissapointed

10.0%
  6. 0/5 The worst Star Wars movie ever , down with the Jar Jar doo doo

13.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    They also wouldn't be very good.

2. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    That too.

Ricardo Funes and Satipo like this.
  3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    and ANH I have to add (set piece). When Finn enters the Raddus' escape pod bay, there are the same wall divider elements as those in the Tantive IV service corridor and the same hatch elements. The escape pod appears to be in a horizontal position.

How could you possibly know, I'd first would like to see fan-fiction films before casting a verdict. IIRC, Mr. Johnson called himself a fan, so what he delivered was technically (correct) a fan-fiction movie. :p

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    T-R-, wobbits, MS1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    302 different posters gave it between a 4 and a 5 out of 5 score. That's way more poll activity than we normally get. A lot of those people probably shared their enthusiastic reviews and left sadly.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Ricardo Funes likes this.
  5. Dukeleto69

Dukeleto69 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    @Darkslayer those icons in your sig... Do you honestly rate ROTS above TESB?

6. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I've seen enough of the writing of know they wouldn't be very good, unless they hired a professional.

Nate787 and Satipo like this.
  7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I wouldn't have it in my sig if I didn't believe it.

DBPirate, B99, ChildOfWinds and 3 others like this.
  8. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    These kind of comments to me show a lack of understanding of the intention of the director more than they point to any “flaws” in the movie. I can tolerate most Star Wars criticisms as things with which I disagree but “get it,” like maybe someone saying they don’t like Luke dying. Ok, fair enough.

But criticisms of AOTCs love scene dialogue fall into the “you missed the point” bin where as a writer-director myself I feel frustrated just reading it. The criticism goes something like, “That dialogue is horrible, you have to admit it’s really bad! It’s like cringe-worthy!” The words being said are bad, they make you cringe, the WRITING is thus excellent. That was the whole point. Anakin wouldn’t know how to talk to ladies at all. I certainly didn’t when I was younger. You’re guessing intention on top of that and guessing wrong, which is what makes me cringe. “People laugh at the sand line!” And..? That’s good! You’re supposed to laugh! That’s the point! Anakin sucks at romance, he tries hard, he just never knows the right things to say and stumbles through it like a typical first timer. What would actually be terrible writing is what many fans seem to want to see, which is Shakespearean love language from both characters that would be wildly out of place. The WORDS could be great, but the dialogue would be awful because it doesn’t fit the characters or the scenes. It’s almost like fans want to hold the writers up to a sense of realism and believability only when it’s cool or convenient, because they’ll sit here and nitpick the tiniest things like whether Holdo could really ram the Raddus into the Supremacy, but they actively want love scene lines to be unrealistic just because “that would sound better.”

Who told you how to write? Where did you learn how to script anything? They misinformed you. Great dialogue fits the character and is something THEY would say, not the best thing anyone could conceivably say.

If someone’s criticism is simply “I didn’t find the love story believable, why would she fall for him?!” THAT is something I can respect, because you’re simply saying nothing in the movie made you buy that result. I don’t agree because in my experience people fall in love with the weirdest people and for the strangest reasons, so maybe I’m more lenient in what I accept could happen. But criticizing a writer for writing the proper dialogue for the character, well, that’s just asinine to me.

wobbits, Lost_Hope and yanote like this.
  9. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I'd be wary of the "it's supposed to be bad" defense. It wasn't strong in 2002, and it's not strong now. That the characters themselves don't recognise how bad it is undermines the argument too. Anakin doesn't stop himself mid-sentence, wince, get flustered or act like someone would do in that situation either. Padme doesn't seem to react to it as it being a bad pick up line either. At most, it's lip service to the premise of a first timer. Especially since it's inconsistent with the rest of their relationship and dialogue.

But you're right in that it's a merely a symptom of a larger issue - that the romance story doesn't work and that we can't buy how she falls in love with him.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    CEB, Jozgar, Satipo and 1 other person like this.
  10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    With the stream of pathetic "Rian didn't give a crap about what came before" comments I don't really blame them.

Ricardo Funes and Satipo like this.
  11. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    As the positive reviewers can share their excitement and satisfaction with the film, so can those who were disappointed with the films. And, by the way, @themoth, there were a lot of disappointed fans who have also left this forum (and I don't blame them for many obvious reasons). I'm assuming we still live in a society were we can have varying opinions without being persecuted for them.

Although this film, in my opinion, has some good moments, I felt it was marred by a lot of moments that were disjointed, and shock value for the sake of shock, jokes for the sake of jokes. I'm all for some great punch lines and story. But yes, there should be some continuity with what was left before. It is, after all, a saga.

I think Rian should stick to stand alones, frankly.

nightangel, T-R-, AhsokaSolo and 4 others like this.
  12. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Totally agree. Given the nonsense the “haters” have had to deal with I know for a fact plenty of these posters have long since moved on.

nightangel, T-R- and AhsokaSolo like this.
  13. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016

Yes, I think the point here is that the "backlash" or rather "the large number of people who simply didn't like the film" are real. There's no "plot" or "conspiracy" here. The only one guilty of that are TPTB that want to ignore and undermine it.

That said, I think a lot of posters' frustration lies in that fact that there seems to a be a group of people who simply don't want to have healthy discourse between opposing views which is wrong and, to be frank, really scary.

I would love to share some of the scenes I liked and were moved by, but that should also leave room for those scenes that were less than quality storytelling. And I don't need to be a producer, filmmaker or writer to understand what is quality and what isn't. I've been a movie goer for decades and possess the intelligence to decipher what is good and what isn't.

Master_Lok, MS1, nightangel and 4 others like this.
  14. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    “These escape pods look like other escape pods! Rip off!”

These forums just reached a new low.

15. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    That's not what I said, I merely added to another poster's observation, that set pieces had been copied. In the particular case a Corellian corridor design was used for a Mon Calamari vessel, not very original.

nightangel, T-R- and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  16. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Phrase it how you want, you’re still essentially complaining that escape pods look like escape pod.

Also, the MC85s were a collaboration between Corellia and Mon Cala.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    No one is being persecuted. This is a Star Wars nerd site for goodness sake. You aren't being marched off to a ghetto because someone disagrees with you about a movie. Get some perspective.
    This isn't even remotely what is happening. A "healthy discourse" would be welcome. What we typically have is a hyperbolic wasteland of vitriol that comes nowhere close to "healthy". I have a LOT of problems with both TFA and TLJ, and yet I seldom see kindred spirits I feel actually want to discuss these things. I see rhetoric. I see absolutism. I see entitlement. I see "teams". I see heels dug in, rather than a willingness to keep an open mind. I see fixation on certain aspects that "ruins" the entire film for some. I see nitpicking on a level that is staggering.

I also see defensiveness. I see frustration give way to mocking. I see a desire to "convert" the "misguided". Occasionally, I see an insinuation that certain criticism is actually a veil for inner ugliness, which is nearly impossible to disprove, even if one is innocent.

All of the above make "healthy discourse" very difficult. Self awareness of one's posting style could help a bit, but everyone here seems to believe they are the living embodiment of "reasonable, objective debate", and everyone else is the"problem".

And on top of it all, you're all off topic. Post and discuss your ratings, not your complaints or your complaints about complaints. THIS MEANS EVERYONE.

18. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    very good post I cannot like enough. =D=

ChildOfWinds, Master_Lok and T-R- like this.
  19. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Better than what we've gotten so far.

Wish Kathleen would have hired a professional

MagnarTheGreat and nightangel like this.
  20. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    You know for a fact they would be better? And KK did hire a professional. RJ by the very definition is a professional writer.

21. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016
    OK, first off, you've completely got me wrong and this entire rebuttal unnecessary, and the very vitriol and reaction that you claim is coming from somewhere else is coming from you here.

I've come here in peace. I'm being honest and you are completely misinterpreting or deliberately spinning it another way. In fact, you being terribly inappropriate and overstepping YOUR bounds. I did not name anyone nor speak to someone in particular. I"m talking about this entire fandom: posters, mods and audience.

I wrote that so people could maybe have an open, honest discussion.

I will not continue this conversation nor justify anymore with a response.

If you don't like the fact I'm being honest and would like to have a healthy discussion, that's not my problem.

However, do not slay me, as I've mentioned as a lot of people do, on this post.

What you've done inadvertently is prove my point.

I've got nothing more to say.

22. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    She did hire a professional.

In fact, the professional she hired was given brilliant 91% RT and Metascore 85 ratings by critics

Audiences gave it a Cinemascore "A", which is the only score that could not be impacted by online trolling. IMDB has it at 7.5, which is also a great result, considering the amount of 0/10 scores it received on the first weekend.

Jozgar likes this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Nope, again. You seem to have missed the entire point of my post. You are continuing to play the "victim card", and claiming you are just "being honest". A healthy discussion doesn't begin with a claim of "persecution". That would be some of the rhetoric I was speaking of. And, I was speaking of this entire fandom, as well. As for what's "appropriate", I think it's entirely appropriate to point out hyperbole in a comment that claims to want an "honest discussion". Particularly when it's also off topic. And, since you've said you have no intention to respond, I think we can finally get this thread back on track.

24. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016
    You once again aren’t listening or choose not too. It’s your own fault. I’ll take myself to another thread.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm listening. But, I'm not hearing anything that addresses my point, or acknowledges any responsibility, or is on topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.