main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Sure but I have a strong suspicion the ultimate victory will be presented as "preventing that future from happening", when a multiverse is the only real way out--which I find a little disingenuous after going on and on about how nothing can be changed.

Now, if they overtly lean into the multiverse thing, maybe even run with it next season? Cool.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    No. No no no no no no no no no no no. This is Dragonball Z all over again.

3. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Way to go with speculating, much food for thought. [face_coffee] I'm liking the fact that the episode aired on Groundhog Day in seeming closure of the time loop.[face_tee_hee]

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    There's another problem with the multiverse approach--if you take that mentality seriously, then the first four seasons are Timeline A. In this timeline, the agents vanish--maybe time course-corrects and the Earth is still destroyed somehow, but they're not around either way. The "time travel" actually brings them into Timeline B, in which they stuck around and Daisy maybe destroyed the planet, resulting in the history Tess and Flint and Deke know. The seer girl--April? I forget--knows they eventually show up again but the fact that they're not technically the agents she once knew is immaterial.

But here's the problem: Fitz didn't time travel. He's still in Timeline A, and when he wakes up 70 years later, Earth or no Earth, they're not there. Maybe the Timeline B Fitz went to sleep for some other reason, but he would be the Fitz we've been following the last few episodes, not ours--and come to think of it, now that they've all traveled back to Timeline A together (though technically it could be Timeline C now--meaning A and B still exist in their original forms, hence the coda), Fitz A presumably isn't even asleep yet, but still in prison somewhere! Even if they conveniently jumped back to a point after he's gone to sleep, he'd still be out there--and when they inevitably keep the Earth from shaking apart, what happens when that Fitz wakes up now?

The only way around this is predestination--Fitz always goes to sleep, always wakes up in the bad future, and always travels back with the team. But that means Earth is ****ed.

pronker likes this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This isn't... entirely accurate.

The concept of the multiverse (not how Marvel does it in the comics necessarily) is that there would be a multiversal causality from the moment they leave. So everything that happened up to them leaving in Prime would be the same, so there's no problem returning right back there (in any causality) as it'd be as if they never left and everything would, for all intents and purposes, be the same.

However, in Fitz's case, you assume that he always takes the long way forward -- just the aspects may change (but always with Enoch's help). So what we saw this season, was this multiverse's attempt and Lance helping Fitz happened in this incarnation (but not necessarily in all incarnations of the time loop).

You are correct in that, depending on when they return -- and in which multiverse they return to -- there may now be two Fitzes running around... though that might be a feature, and not a bug (depending on what the showrunners have in store)... ;)

pronker likes this.
  6. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I think one thing that no one has considered is that Robin is not a seer or psychic but that her power is that she is concious with herself at all points in her personal timeline.

Meaning her 7 year old self can communicate freely with her 80 year old self.

And then a minute later her 7 year old self can communicate with her 30 year old self and so on.

So technically if the team starts to get stuck in a loop, her dying self can always tell her pre-earth explosion self what happens, until they finally get it right.

For Enoch fans, at least present Enoch is still alive.

Though if the Agents do stop the destruction of Earth. What will happen to frozen Fitz like @dp4m said?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Except then she loses the thematic and presumably genetic connection to her dad's precognitive power.

8. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    But Inhuman powers don't have genetic connection to their parents.

None of them in comics do.

Daisy's quake powers have no connection to her mother's immortality and healing powers.

No Inhuman children in comics like Luna and Ahura have powers like their parents. Just like none of the current Inhuman royal family have powers like their parents. Thats why Inhuman powers are always questionable when they go through terrogenesis.

Jedi Merkurian and pronker like this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I feel like the show wouldn't throw us for a loop over that though, especially when it doesn't quite matter how her powers work, just so long as they do work.

pronker likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, the show can't let Fitz and Simmons be happy so having two would certainly throw a kink into the wedding plans. One Fitz happy, one Fitz doomed to be miserable. Ooh, then doomed Fitz can become Framework Fitz! ;)

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I agree with Cooper that the end result will be that this time, they realize the mistake and work to correct it. Remember that even in "Cause And Effect", Data finally figures out the solution to the problem and comes up with an alternative solution to fix the problem.

pronker likes this.
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, I'm happy the team finally got off the lighthouse and returning to their time to figure out what exactly happened.

And when the show returns, it will be the 100th episode. =D=

[​IMG]

pronker likes this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    99th. 100th is the week after, no?

Random Comments likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah I agree it seems they're leaning so hard on the "We're stuck in a loooooop!" game that when the Earth inevitably isn't destroyed it's going to be quite the explanation. Or maybe they're setting up parallel universes so they could punt the Agents to their own world away from the MCU, which is becoming harder to tie into and they keep shunting them off into side stories (this may be a knock-on effect of about halfway through the show's run, the MCU TV and movies had a divide). But, on the flipside, there's only so much time travel paradox one can go on a deep dive when the big climatic moment of the first half of the season had Mack driving his shotgun axe through the baddie who was insane with crazy power juice.

Still, Armless Yo-Yo was a freak out, wasn't it?

On that poster who is May cradling in her arms? Was it the old lady who was her "daughter"? That's really the only ep I can't place from the art.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That poster art was celebrating the 2nd season (they've been tweeting out ones for each season during the hiatus), so that's the Inhuman girl May had to put down that earned her the Calvary nickname, which messed her up / later doubled as a divergence point for her Framework history.

16. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Whew! Because for a minute there I was thinking "Isn't of those deeply shadowed grizzled characters Ward?"[face_dunno] Imagine if they brought him back!![face_party]

17. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Hive and Lincoln ain't dead. They got sucked into the same kind of wormhole that took Hulk to Sakaar, only this one took them into the future.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If it brings in Goldblum, I'd be down with it.

19. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    So I'm a bit behind...watching episode 7 and I just got to the part where they split up and Fitz tells Mack about the weapons cache he had hidden away and Yo Yo says: "you mean the level infested with aliens that suck your blood?". Why are said aliens a problem for Miss Flash/Quicksilver?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They're still very dangerous and she can't run away from them with her powers. She also might just be worried for Mac.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Agents of SHIELD Season Finale Being
    Written As Series Ending

On the brighter side, Agents of SHIELD gave us these characters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Well it's had a great run, so it ending at S5 wouldn't be the worst thing. On the bright side if it does end this year that makes it a whole lot easier for the movies to incorporate Coulson again; they could easily work him into a Phase 4 movie if that were to happen.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd love to get a sixth season- not just because it's one of my favorite shows but also for it lasting right up until/after Avengers 4 (and, thus, potentially being able to deal with the fallout of at least Infinity War, if not beyond).

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Season 5 hasn't been as cool as season 4 but I have enjoyed a whole bunch of stuff in it. Mostly cuz I dig future monsters and stuff. But I wouldn't mind a series finale, since they say they're writing it as one. Endings are good!

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Joygasm! Kevin Tanchraoen is directing The Real Deal, the 100th episode.

pronker likes this.