main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rate The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by chris hayes, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Rate the Last Jedi in the choices below

Poll closed Jan 13, 2018.
  1. 5/5 Absolutely loved it

30.6%
  2. 4/5 Solid a good addition to the saga

18.8%
  3. 3/5 It was ok , worthy but flawed

11.8%
  4. 2/5 Some eye candy but felt underwelmed

16.2%
  5. 1/5 Meh Dissapointed

10.0%
  6. 0/5 The worst Star Wars movie ever , down with the Jar Jar doo doo

13.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011

This is the arrogance of fandom to think they can produce something better. They could, at most, write a better treatment.. after that I can guarantee that everything will be far worse. It's laughable.

Ricardo Funes, Satipo and Lost_Hope like this.
  2. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Case in point, I've never seen a good fan film. They're all awful. The only one that I thought was good was Troops, and that was a spoof.

Ricardo Funes and Satipo like this.
  3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011

That of course doesn't mean I don't respect them for what they are. Some are clearly made with a lot of passion and love. That doesn't mean they are anywhere the quality of an official film.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Ricardo Funes and CEB like this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    AHEM.

5. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Bringing this back to the thread focus... with 615 votes counted the average score is 3.05/5 here with a huge love and hate divide. This rating also allowed for a zero score, which skews the entire poll more negative. Had it made 1 the minimum the average would have jumped to 3.2/5 here.

Throw in the Alt right types and you get your RT% score. Go wider general audience and you get your 7.5 out of 10 IMDB score.

Go just film geeks and critics who don’t care about either head cannon stuff or SJW stuff in a negative way and you get your 8.0/10 score.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  6. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    I rate it 2/5. Some good, memorable moments, that was marred by a lot of parody and humour that fell flat. More importantly, the film felt like a standalone that had no place in a saga. Character development was sacrificed on many levels: Luke, Rey, Finn. and characters were added unnecessarily where other important characters could have easily taken on that role ie. Leia sacrificing herself with the Raddus. Far more impact that way.

Looking at the scores above and the wording of each rating you could take all votes from 3/5 to 0/5, many people were disappointed just as much as people enjoyed it. Quite a divisive response which is interesting. If you enjoyed it great, but there's no denying many people felt shortchanged by this film.

7. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Agreed. Like a lot of art that benefits from thoughtful analysis to truly appreciation on a deeper level, TLJ is divisive depending on what each person coming to it values and wants out of the movie. It’s unique enough accross enough areas to either really connect with people or push them away.

I suspect that if the same amount of people who saw the Last Jedi saw many of these films the reactions would also be quite divisive.

https://www.criterion.com/

Like some of those films at Criterion... Some won’t get aspects of what Johnson went for. Some will but will hate it anyway. Others will love it and connect to it. It’s just wasn’t focused grouped enough to appeal to as many people as possible and deliberately tested and pushed the characters to new lows.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  8. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016
    I agree with you to a certain point. But it was definitely not art.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  9. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    It is probably the most thought-provoking Star Wars film since the 1980s. And most people who study or watch a ton of film and write about films seem to agree. If it makes you FEEL it’s art. Even if you hate it.

You might hate this painting.
    [​IMG]

You might think you could do better. You might think others could or that it’s overrated. None of those reactions or thoughts makes it not art. Others may love it. Others may be drawn into it more in time. We each bring our own experiences and thoughts to art obviously.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Ricardo Funes likes this.
  10. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I absolutely think it’s art, but I definitely disagree with your characterization of what “most” people who study or watch a ton of film think. Professional critics clearly overwhelmingly like it. Pretty much everyone here watches “a ton of film.” Lots of people study film too. Private film schools are churning out grads like crazy. That’s not some super unique, coveted position anymore. Internet sleuths with blogs can be said to study film these days.

I do not consider this movie thought provoking. More like thought-killing. That’s the nihilist part of it. But I still see it as art. It represents RJ’s take on SW and he approached it with the themes he felt were important and he conveyed them through visuals and story. It may be rated low in effectiveness and point with me, but it is absolutely artistic expression.

11. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016
    We can agree to disagree.

12. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I rate it a 9/10, and I don't know anything about art. I just like things I like. :)

13. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    First Picasso, now Francis Bacon is summoned up to suggest that TLJ is somewhat art of a comparable kind. Let me just say that I love both Picasso and Bacon, have several Picassos hanging in our home (not originals of course) and several books on both artists, and believe I studied both of them to the extent, that I know a thing or two about these great artists (IMHO).

Obviously I do like abstract and expressionistic work, but I'm unable to see where TLJ could remotely qualify as that.

-LordSkywalker- and MS1 like this.
  14. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I don’t think we’re likely to agree a definition of art on this board, since we can’t even agree on the direction Leia exploded out of a spaceship

Ricardo Funes and Ender_and_Bean like this.
  15. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The Leia one is easy and out of question:
    [​IMG]

16. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Man, the big screen sure does mask poor CGI. That red laser looks slightly fake

17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    It's not a laser. It's Leia's flight path.

18. Random Ax of Kindness

Random Ax of Kindness Jedi Padawan

Jan 24, 2018
    Wow, she left some serious contrails.

19. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Tone really doesn’t come over in text, does it?
    I thought that was an obvious, if rubbish, joke.

20. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    2/5

If it were just a space movie and not a part of the Star Wars saga (none of the OT characters involved), then I would have rated it much higher. RJ seemed to have a bit of disdain for the OT & PT, and wanted to just make a movie based in outer space. He went so far as to diminish the OT characters, and make even characters from TFA (Snoke, TKOR, and Phasma) irrelevant to the whole story. With Snoke and Phasma dead, they really served no purpose at all. The movie didn't fit the story already told, if it were a stand alone movie, I would have said it was done really well, and probably rated it a 4/5.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  21. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    Amen. My exact rating, my exact reasons. If it were a generic, standalone space movie, I'd have found it more enjoyable.

22. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Snoke served the biggest purpose of all, he was the token used by Kylo to successfully do what Vader could not, kill his master and become the new master.

Unless you would like a rehash of the OT story with Snoke = Palpatine, Kylo = Vader and Luke = Obi Wan.

Phasma never was hyped by the movie to be anything more than what she was, a stormtrooper captain. She never was meant to be Boba Fett 2.0. The fans and their headcanon created this big requirement that Phasma had to do this, and that, and that....

23. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    :rolleyes:

"Kennedy has big plans for Phasma and confirmed that the captain will carry on into [The Last Jedi]. “She’s an important character, a baddie in the best sense of the word.”

http://www.slashfilm.com/force-awakens-episode-8-character/

-LordSkywalker- and ChildOfWinds like this.
  24. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    In some ways she does do more, has more lines, and gets a larger fight sequence than anything Boba Fett got in the OT.

Boba Fett had 4 lines in the entire OT beyond his Wilhelm scream as his rockets were accidentally activated and he bounced off like a basketball off a backboard into a net (the Sarlacc Pitt).

By contrast, Phasma has 10 lines of dialogue in TFA and probably another 6 or 7 in TLJ.

She and Finn also get the fight that Han Solo and Boba Fett never got to have and it’s given the same low angle tracking treatment that is usually reserved more for Jedi and Sith showdowns.

Kennedy’s description is hyperbole and probably set the expectations too high but she is clearly treated as a mini boss and separate from normal troopers and a tier above them. Not only in the lines she gets or credit she’s bestowed (“Well done, Phasma!”) but also her role in sort of being the Child slave program master. Just being in that role gives her above average antagonistic traits. So, what she may lack in combat prowess based on the cool visual of her armor and our own minds running wild for what super hero feats she might do... she still sufficiently functions as the physical manifestion of the program that took Finn and tried to turn him into a robotic FO Soldier. Therefore, she was a baddie we are meant to dislike and who Finn sees as a real enemy to him. She’s just not a super badass baddie.

But I think a decent case can be made she was given comparable antagonistic function in some ways to Finn as what Boba Fett was given on screen to Han. Obviously the backstory of the Fett family in the PT and other EU materials fleshed out Fett more and some have begun doing the same for Phasma but as far as screen time and lines and deaths go... I think they are probably comparable even though Boba Fett is obviously going to remain far more popular a figure overall. Bounty hunters with gadgets are cool and his family backstory adds even more relevance but that wasn’t there initially for most of us and so she does okay for 2 films.

25. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Since you did not read my post, I will repeat it again:

Phasma never was hyped by the movie to be anything more than what she was, a stormtrooper captain. She never was meant to be Boba Fett 2.0. The fans and their headcanon created this big requirement that Phasma had to do this, and that, and that....

KembaSkywalker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.