main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    My point was not suggesting you need to be intelligent to get the film, my point was that a lot of people clearly understood the film before RJ started clarifying - in response to Q&As, podcasts or questions asked of him in his twitter feed. The only think I can think off that has not been spoken about on the boards within the first week of release was the fact that Luke's Force projection was canon at one point in that Jedi Code book. And that has nothing to do with whether that moment works or not anyway.

See also any film that has any critical essay written about it, or any deeper meaning that gets analysed, and any film that involves a director being interviewed about his work. Everyone knows that all good writing is presented fait accompli with zero discussion before or after the fact. Full understanding is immediate and never discussed again once the good writing has been presented.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  2. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Is it bad if here I point out that earlier on a poster literally used WWE wrestling as an example of how to successfully juggle legacy characters with new ones? And somehow we have to engage with that nonsense and somehow do so without risking being in any way patronising.

Nate787 likes this.
  3. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Film commentary, you say?
    [​IMG]

IncessantRamblings and Satipo like this.
  4. Pete Ren

Pete Ren Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2017
    Well I don't know either. But if he feels the need to clarify anything, it's a sign.

5. Pete Ren

Dec 27, 2017
    Is The Jedi Code, canon then?

6. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Are you just ignoring that other people have pointed out that “clarifying” aspects of a film is literally what happens at q&a’s all the time?

Consider the sheer amount of discussion about every Star Wars film for a second. Now think carefully before answering this, because it’ll inform whether I believe you’re posting in good faith or not; can you imagine any scenario in which the existence of a new Star Wars film doesn’t provoke fans to ask lots of questions from the director, if the director attends QnA or has a twitter account?

7. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Yes, it's a sign that people want to discuss the film.

8. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    It’s a shame so many directors do commentary tracks for home release of movies. Clearly the LOTR films were a total train wreck as they felt the need to not just one track but several from the directors, actors and special effects crew to justify why did things. How embarrassing. Did they not know they will only anger the haters and feed the trolls? They can’t win!

EDIT: it appears Artoo Dion already made this point hahaha.

Side note - giving interviews and explaining processes of story choice and direction are not a win/lose scenario. They are a factual recount.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  9. Pete Ren

Dec 27, 2017
    OK, I've thought carefully, thanks.

You are completely right about the amount of discussion. With this movie much of it is negative.

If the story was better there would more agreement and the makers wouldn't need to clarify what they were trying to depict.

10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    “Better” being entirely subjective. There’s no universal “better”

11. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    He did these kinds of Q&As for past films like Looper and Brick as well. This isn’t exclusive to this film. It’s just that there’s more of these due to this being his biggest film yet. He still answers questions online about his other films too.

However, there are certain things he’d rather the fans interpret as well. He’s clearly a fan of nuance. Too much for some. Not for others who enjoy nuance.

Tons of great films go over the average person’s head or become “I don’t get what the hype was about” films. I suspect that many of these films would divide too.
    https://www.criterion.com/

Crowd pleasers that work pretty well for everyone are either classics (the OT/Shawshank Redemption/The Godfather) or are just Films focus grouped to death to become the equivalent of Independence Day or Fate of the Furious or something along those lines where they exist strictly for thrills and nothing more.

TLJ is personal enough and nuanced enough to be a classic SW film for some but different enough to also divide and anger some others.

12. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    The other important point is that silence from Rian could just as easily be spun as him having no answers and putting no thought into the script. If people want to interpret perfectly innocent actions in the worst possible light, they will.

13. Pete Ren

Dec 27, 2017
    Much of the debate is (sadly) negative.

14. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Yep. See how KK’s silence is spun as “ooooh she hates the way fans have reacted and is going to sack RJ”
    If she’d come out and praised him it’d be “of course KK praises Rian, he killed off the old guard in favour of KK’s favourite”

Satipo likes this.
  15. Pete Ren

Dec 27, 2017
    I do agree with you, but as there has been a lot of negativity about TLJ, its easy to see why people like me think such clarification is an attempt to justify things that are seen to be wrong, by some of us (I know many love this film)

Peace :)

16. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
  17. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

An example:
    Thank your posting this. This is exactly the attitude I keep seeing for fans of TLJ on these boards. You are the only ones who get it and everyone is else is inept. Whatever. Its all opinion.

ChildOfWinds and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  18. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Why is answering fans' questions viewed as "an attempt to justify things"? So how exactly is he supposed to handle interviews or questions from fans about his creative decisions? This really is a bizarre line of criticism.

19. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    You know, ultimately, it’s just a film. You can love it, you can hate it, you can be anywhere in between.

Everyone of us is right in how we feel about the movie. But it is just that. A movie.

Be good to each other. I don’t want to come across all let’s all hold hands. But there really is more important things in the world to get upset about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TCF-1138 , TK327 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  20. Awek

Awek Jedi Padawan

Jan 14, 2016
    This is a "perfect" criticism. RJ is screwed, no matter what he does.

TK327 and Nate787 like this.
  21. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    When you say:

A) The movie is dumb or bad you’re saying fans are dumb or only like bad movies.

B) That people didn’t get it then you are inviting others telling you that they did get it. Many of us fans have been saying many of the things Johnson has since said before he said it.

We like it because we get it. Some things fly over people’s heads and they miss out and some things require more thought than some want to put into a blockbuster film. Everyone’s different. I doubt people are loving this movie because they don’t get it, or because they think huge parts don’t make sense to them though.

22. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    That's just stating the truth of the matter.

Yet again a negative interpretation trumps everything else. I don't think that's what Satipo meant.

23. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I dislike the way Johnson has been explaining the movie, but it's okay because: 1.) I've been able to ignore him for the most part, and 2.) the movie is perfectly wonderful without further explanation. For those who like Johnson's approach to post-release exposition, power to them.

24. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    To back up my previous claims that TLJ is the most disliked Star Wars movie since AOTC...just go to the comments section of the Solo teaser trailer on YouTube. Filled with people making references to their dislike of TLJ.

It's real.

25. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    YouTube comments? Sounds scientific... not.

https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/internet/2016/10/why-are-youtube-comments-worst-internet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.