main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RX_Sith, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    Finn very well might appear in the Poe Dameron comic (which is now allowed to incorporate elements from TFA)!
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Poe_Dameron_26

Here Finn is on artwork promoting Issue 26 (first issue for this new run of the Poe comic). He's on the bottom left corner.
    [​IMG]

2. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Presumably it will concentrate on Poe's story during TFA (how he survived the Jakku crash, etc.) and the only 'Finn' bits we will get are what we saw on screen anyway.

3. GauntGrandMoff

GauntGrandMoff Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2016
    Just watched his duel with Kylo again.... It. Was. Awesome. The raw emotion, the bravery and futility of it all is just so griping. I seriously hope we get a round 2. I personally don't care for a non-force plotline at this point, the fathier stuff really turned me off to it. Finn on the path to knighthood is my favorite Finn.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  4. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    Who knows. :p I don't expect anything groundbreaking given the lack of time jump, but since there's so many misadventures in Poe's comic, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a 2 issue mini mission that Finn and Poe have between "You need a pilot" and the TIE fighter escape. lol I mainly anticipate Poe being sad his buddy "died" or is in a coma.

5. sheri1967

sheri1967 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2006
    I am hoping for a very strong story arc for Finn in IX. He deserves it.

6. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    Hmm... it really does look like the floating rocks move out of his way, doesn't it? Fluidly, as if parting...

(This is cruel... Maybe even evil.)

7. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I know...the way Rey lifted the rocks was very heavy and very slow and careful, like she was lifting something fragile and was trying to be as delicate as possible. Whereas when Finn runs through them they part more easily suddenly like opposing magnets. Just something that my eyes caught.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  8. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I thought Rey moved the rocks out of Finn's way...

9. GauntGrandMoff

Dec 29, 2016
    I mean Finns trek in the desert could allow for some fun little moments or better yet some time for us to get into Finns head. I'm sure he had lots of time to reflect on his defection....

10. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    She did.

As usual, people are grasping at straws for Finn to be force sensitive despite any evidence.

I have no problem with anyone still wanting Finn to be Force sensitive.

But it's the weak arguments, of using what's displayed on screen to try to support this, that's embarrassing.

If this were a court case, we'd be laughingstocks.

11. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    No need to be cynical, it's not at all that serious, my friend.

Darkspellmaster and BlurryUFOs like this.
  12. GauntGrandMoff

Dec 29, 2016
    Nothing in this trilogy makes any sense anyways. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if this rock thing is real. How about some one explains to me how Rey can even move the boulders in the first place or better yet how can our main heroine even fight with a lightsaber to the degree that she does against the PG.

Yeah Finn unconsciously using the force this entire time doesn't strike me as far fetched Tbh.

13. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    @GauntGrandMoff @cerealbox Honestly the story is so inconsistent (and considering they've already said they're making it up as they go) he mightaswell be Force Sensitive. Why not?

Kylo's suddenly Supreme Leader, just like Leia was suddenly Force Sensitive at the end of ESB, despite there being nothing in ANH or even up to that point that supported it. Rey is suddenly the heir to Luke's legacy and the legacy of the Jedi.

Why can't Finn suddenly be a Force user? The fact that people can actually still find evidence to support it in TFA and TLJ should say enough.

It's not as far-fetched given the state of the ST. Like I said, if you'd told me before that Kylo would take over the galaxy in the second Act of the trilogy, and that the Resistance would be pretty much defeated, I wouldn't have bought it. But here we are.

There's no reason that Finn can't be. It's not like it would hurt the story in any way given that once again there's only one real half-Jedi in the galaxy, and the Resistance is worse off than the Rebellion. If anything it would improve the story for a lot of people.

Plus John's shown that he wouldn't mind picking up the lightsaber again, and he didn't like the bait-and-switch tactic that they pulled.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  14. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    But he's also hinted to fans to move on from that.

His interviews of seeing Finn "with a Boba Fett type vibe".

That "it's an unspoken law in Star Wars......they only have one that goes off to train"

Plus.....John having to keep making excuses and such when reporters bring it up.

Plus like you said, he didn't like the bait-and-switch. Because now fans are all putting their hopes that the only way Finn can compete on any level of dignity is for him to use a lightsaber again with the Force.

Those expectations lead to disappointments for many from TLJ.

To go there again, when it comes to IX, is just setting yourself up for folly.

Edit: either way. The TLJ novel coming in April will answer the definitive question of "how the boulders were moved." Smh

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The bait and switch was terrible, as is the idea of him being Boba Fett. (I couldn’t stand Boba Fett.)

But I don’t think Finn needs to be Force sensitive in order to be important to the story and have an interesting arc.

16. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    Chill. They're speaking mostly in jest hence the "(This is cruel...maybe even evil)" bit. I don't think anyone is seriously expecting Finn to be force-sensitive at this point. Although I wouldn't completely rule it out since LucasFilm is making stuff up as they go along.

17. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I don't think that's it at all. A storm trooper rebellion of some sort makes more sense now than it did after TFA. Finn was an anomaly in TFA and we had no reason to believe his views represented a significant fraction of other Storm Troopers based on what happened in film. Heck I didn't see many compelling reason for other troopers to listen to a traitor who rebelled over their own leadership. However, Kylo Ren is now in charge and I can see him driving the First Order right into the ground, fast. I means at the end of TLJ Luke Skywalker public ally humiliated Kylo Ren in front of the entire First Order. Forget his loss at Rey's hands, Kylo Ren's failure on Crait is litterally the stuff of legends and is spreading across the universe inspiring people to stand against the FO. So imagine the impact this is having on the Storm Troopers. For years you have been conditioned to be loyal to Snoke, the Supreme Leader...who dies on Kylo Ren's watch...and is supplanted by this wanna-be. The very first time said Wanna-be takes command...he snatches defeat from the jaws of victory, proving he has NONE of the qualities you were conditioned to admire in your Supreme leader. So between that and time to see him screw up further Storm Troopers and others might decide that Kylo is not worth following and rebel. Perhaps they'll all turn good...or perhaps the First Order will fracture into many small Warlords each fighting over the carcass of Snokes once grand organization.

That is a situation in which Finn has a real chance of influencing FO personnel.

In other news

The extra five minutes of sneaking around likely won't amount to much, but I AM curious about the scenes showing more of Finn's motivation. I don't envy anyone trying edit a movie together so it flows well and comes in under a certain time, but I fear some good character work may have been lost. Even the scene with Rey sounds really interesting and gives further reasons for her to ignore Luke's warning about the dark place....and where that decision lead her.

He dosen't, one thing I really liked about this movie is it's rejection of the 'Destined child' trope. (spoilers) something it shares with Bladerunner 2049 (which may have been my favorite film of last year). I don't think that is what JJ had in mind when he first wrote TFA....but honestly I kind of wish that'd been the plan from the get go. Having Finn turn from faceless mook to Rebel Hero, as Rey goes from nobody scavenger to hero works really well in concept and allows you to set them apart from past heroes in the Star Wars universe. I'd personally push more in this direction, don't have Rey dress like the Jedi of the Old Republic, have her follow Luke's example at the end of TLJ (A bit Samurai + Monk) [​IMG] [​IMG]

Have Finn avoid the Bounty Hunter/Smuggler trap...have him push towards agents of Justice in action and a clothing style not seen in Star wars[​IMG] [​IMG] :

[​IMG]

Let's keep it Star Wars but embrace the idea of moving forward instead of repeating the past.

18. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    You're right, he doesn't NEED to be FS to be important to the plot but TLJ sure as hell said otherwise. It told us that if you don't have the force your character won't be given any complexity or importance to the main plot.

19. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Finn had plenty of screen time and his arc could have been made more complex. It's not really IMO that he wasn't FS that was the problem. I think the issue is craving more complexity in character arcs and finding it's not there. I wanted more dialogue between Finn and Rose that wasn't just about "Choose the Resistance, kids!"

Revanfan1, Troopa212 and cerealbox like this.
  20. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    I dont think its just force stuff either.

Poe's increased role is also a factor.
    Finn's arc got overshadowed by Poe.

Finn's arc became a subplot for Poe's resistance arc.

I am actually afraid for 9.

Finn is with Rey again and Rey is always given more importance over every character (except for Kylo).

JJ has favoured Rey over Finn in TFA and it showed at every turn.

So i dont know what to expect.

21. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Finn isn't the main protagonist though, Rey will always have more focus...

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I wanted Finn’s arc to be “choose the Resistance, kids” but I did not want him to be sidelined in favor of Kylo.

Revanfan1 and Darkspellmaster like this.
  23. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Why is Finn sidelined in favor of Kylo? The Resistance plot covers a good chunk of time. Finn is kind of buried beneath Poe and Rose stories. I don't think Kylo is the problem for Finn's arc. Also the lack of Finn saying what he thinks is an issue in his scenes.

And the Rose/Finn story is totally about choosing the Resistance. It's about a message. And when a message is the primary point of a character arc that takes away from the complexity of the characters.

The OT had some choose the Rebellion aspects to it both with Han's and Lando's characters, and with the other characters pointing out what they thought Han and Lando should do. But it didn't feel like what the TLJ story feels like. It wasn't being so shoved in the viewer's face at the expense of the characters.

I really enjoyed Lando's arc in ESB because he had a lot of conflict. He wants to save his city from the Empire and makes these concessions and as he has to compromise his own sense of morality more and more as Vader's demands keep getting worse, he's pushed to a breaking point. He doesn't join the Rebellion because a Rebel cheerleader showed up to tell him to. He is kind of forced to the conclusion himself through what he goes through.

I suppose Han's arc in ANH is closer to Finn since Finn kind of just wants to run. Han was drawn into the Rebellion though primarily because he cared about Luke and Leia. He was going to leave at the beginning of ESB and wanted Leia to give him a reason to stay--as in, he would stay if Leia said she needed him to because she needs him on a personal level. Admittedly I didn't see a lot of complex reasons for this. Han was in it only for himself (with Chewie) and he comes to belong with the Rebels. That I think was always the bigger thing for him than the cause (his relationships, particularly with Leia and Luke). It's not that he wants the Empire to rule everything. He hates them too. But he also kind of has this live and let live attitude about life.

For Finn, I would have wanted more in his story about how he personally feels about his life, and what happened to him when the FO abducted him and enlisted him into their child soldier brainwashing program. The part that drew me the most in his arc was actually his interactions with DJ and how Finn disapproves of what DJ does. Rose I felt told Finn how to think and what to feel, but that's not coming from Finn. It's coming from Rose. And meanwhile I felt this disconnect with Rose because she just lost her sister. Maybe she really wants to make her sister's loss worth something? I just wasn't sure.

The issues with the Finn arc are in Finn's scenes. And it's not that he doesn't have scenes. It's more how the Finn-time is utilized that I see as being the issue.

ETA: And as an example, I'm not even sure how Finn feels about this mission that puts him right back in the middle of the FO. He doesn't seem that afraid. The FO is his personal hell and he's having to re-enter it and I couldn't feel that from the story at all really.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    BlurryUFOs and TheEvilQueen like this.
  24. TheEvilQueen

TheEvilQueen Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2018
    Agreed. I don't see Finn as being sidelined by Kylo. They're in separate stories in TLJ. And I do agree that Finn isn't as strong in the narrative to me in the Resistance side of the story as Poe and Rose, though it isn't through lack of screen time.

If anything, I think Finn's importance and arc in this trilogy may have been thrown off by Poe surviving more than anything else. Poe wasn't originally meant to be a main character (nor part of a trio with Finn and Rey, though there's room in 9, but there will be the addition of Rose); he was originally intended to die only a 1/4th of the way into the first episode of the trilogy. To be clear, I love Oscar Isaac in the role and I love Poe, but from TFA, the main characters were Rey, Finn and Kylo. And as much as I love that they kept Poe alive and have upgraded his character status, there's another part of me that wonders what this might have done to Finn's trajectory within the Resistance story arc. Would Finn have been moved into the possible leader position Poe is clearly being moved into if Poe hadn't survived?

Also, I feel like Finn's Stormtrooper background and connection to the First Order is not utilized to the degree it could be.

This in particular gave me pause and made me think. While I don't dislike Canto Bight, like Rose, and love Poe, I feel like Finn got a bit lost within it when they should've been Finn's supporting characters, IMO, and I haven't been able to put my thoughts into coherence. But reading your thought here, I do feel like the message overpowered the character.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Lost_Hope, Mana and oncafar like this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Johnson gave me the impression that he is primarily interested in Kylo, at the expense of all the other characters.

I don’t think “choose the Resistance” is a bad message at all and while some character complexity can be interesting, I don’t want character complexity for the sake of complexity. I’m more interested in the overall battle between good and evil—and since this is Star Wars, I am interested in how the good side (the Resistance) will win—than I am about how individual characters feel about either side.

On Han and Lando—I found Han interesting because he was so cynical, and I thought he could be won over to full Alliance support. I was right on that. With Lando—when the only version available was the OOT, I did not like him until ROTJ. I can’t stand mercenary sellouts who are willing to comply with dictator demands and sell out their friends for their own benefit. When the SEs came out, I was able to like him at the end of ESB because the SE included that scene with his ordering everyone to evacuate Cloud City.

For that reason I’m not really interested in Finn’s emotions about his past life, other than those displayed by any actions he takes against the First Order, such as his fight with Phasma (which was underdone).

The whole initial scene with Rose and Finn threw me off because I saw no reason why Finn could not go find Rey and come back and help the Resistance—with her. I felt like I was supposed to believe that Finn was deserting and I never bought it. I can see why Rose thought as much because she did not know what happened in TFA, but if I was supposed to believe that Finn was having second thoughts about the Resistance and trying to refuse the hero’s call as he did in Maz’s Castle, I didn’t buy it, nor would that make any sense.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.