main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Kessel Run

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by darthOB1, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Nah we look at the movie canon and intentions behind them are are sometimes inferred.

The KR seems entirely unlikely to have been done in less than 12 parsecs because nobody was impressed and no one believes it.

2. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I wonder if the Kessel run is to dive into some cave with tentacles to escape as soon as possible. Must be a long cave indeed.
    Anyway, parsec is a distance. I am really curious how they will fix this in the movie

3. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Well, since the original intention of the line was that Han was making **** up, it'll probably be something convoluted.

4. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Pretty sure that a parsec is measured as a distance in the GFFA. Padmé said in AOTC that Geonosis was less than three parsecs away from Tatooine.

whostheBossk likes this.
  5. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsec

6. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Thanks, but as a hobby astronomer, I already know the definition of a parsec in our real world. ;)

Darth Smurf likes this.
  7. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    I always thought it's a plague until I checked wiki

8. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    I know what a parsec is in OUR world, I was just referring to the reference from ANH. I always thought it was worded oddly and GL just used the word "parsec" because he just liked the way it sounded. Maybe a correction in "Solo" to match reality?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  9. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    He used parsec to make it obvious that Han was making stuff up to impress them. The script makes it clear.

jimtalkbox likes this.
  10. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    But was the "12" the b.s. part or the "parsec" part?! OR BOTH!?!? [face_laugh]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  11. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    Maybe in the SW universe, a parsec is defined as a "giant tentacle"...and that creature in the trailer has 12 of them. [face_clown]

Darth Smurf, GregMcP and jimtalkbox like this.
  12. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I like your ideas here. Makes a lot of sense. Perhaps Han took suicidal shortcuts (that nobody would ever consider) and the risks paid off.

Shaak Ti, seattlemusicnerd and Giovs like this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The actual explanation came before that - Jedi Academy Trilogy - but Rebel Dawn did reuse it.

We know from TFA that Rey has heard that Han "did the Kessel Run in less than 14 parsecs" - so, it's not just him talking - the idea of doing the Kessel Run in a low number of parsecs is something widely known.

14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, I suspect that's what we'll get. The space storm, with the GIANT TENTACLED CTHULHU SPACE MONSTER, is the Kessel run, I believe.

Shaak Ti, Siphonophore and Hopeless like this.
  15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    And, it looks like the EU version of the Kessel Run is now pretty much canon.
    http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/14/star-wars-solo-millennium-falcon/

"Han may also be having it travel down more dangerous paths than Lando ever did. The famed Kessell Run, which Han boasted about crossing in 12 parsecs, is pocked with black holes. And in the trailer we see the vessel contending with giant, electrified tentacles in a nebula."

Giovs and wobbits like this.
  16. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    Is anyone else concerned that the Kessel Run, which by previous accounts was a dangerous unofficial trade route for smuggling spice, is now portrayed as a "race"?

This is my first real concern with this SOLO movie... and it's a big one. Are the terms "smuggling" and "spice" in the Disney version of TGFFA destined to be treated like the term "piracy" in PotC?

I sincerely hope not. While I love the lore/legend surrounding the Golden Age of Piracy, I can't stomach the PotC series because of this sort of... lets say... nonsense. I used to be a big Johnny Depp fan too.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I thought what Han did with the Falcon to make the Kessel Run in record time was a combination of speed and navigation. Han was able to calculate extremely accurate courses along very dangerous paths in space between black holes. The navigational routes cut the length of the Kessel Run down to a record short distance. But to successfully travel those routes a space ship needed to move at extremely fast speeds so the black holes wouldn't throw it off course. So what Han does is a combination of the souped up speed of the falcon and the nava computer matched with Han's own navigational skills.

It's also my understanding that the Kessel Run is a series of hyper space jumps with brief stops to course correct in between. That might be what we're seeing with the tentacles. One of these sub-light legs of the trip. By taking this unknown and record short route through the Kessel Run, Han isn't making the trip in record time, he is less likely to be stopped by anyone.

I think it will be similar to the Balmorra Run we see Anakin lead Clone Troopers on in the Clone Wars, which involves a sublight short cut through a Nebula.

18. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I think you're definitely onto something. Seems really similar.

19. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, I called this right.

Shaak Ti and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  20. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Loved how the coaxium factored in. They had to make the delivery before it exploded.

21. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    It was well done. I don't envy a screenwriter trying to figure this puzzle out. As I write almost every day, there are always problems with anything, even if you just make everything up yourself and don't have to conform to previous knowledge, but puzzles like this are where you earn your paychecks I guess lol. It was pretty nifty!

Shaak Ti likes this.
  22. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    It explained why no regular YT-1300 could do the same as the Falcon did.... as the Falcon had a boost of a super fuel which was impossible to obtain by legal means.

themoth and Shaak Ti like this.
  23. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Also almost always not practical even for people in a similar situation. Great way to blow yourself up.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  24. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Indeed. They did the same thing with the Death Star plans being transmissions and a stolen data tape at the same time. They manage to work this stuff out in respectful and logical ways.
    Yeah. Without the boost the ship wasn’t going to escape that pull.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Iron_lord and Ricardo Funes like this.
  25. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Oh, and what makes the Falcon special later on, which are the improvements Han makes, but also the navigation computer which has an unique database downloaded from L3-37.

No other ship has that.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    whostheBossk and Shaak Ti like this.