main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit [Fantasy Flight Games] Because it just keeps getting better

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I have found that D6 systems tend to be a little more rules-lite and streamlined, which I find to be easier to work with and make for better storytelling (less focus on the mechanics and more on using them to further the campaign). However, my only hands-on RPG experience was with the old D6 LUG Star Trek RPG, so I am biased in that regard.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Biased? I mean, are you saying you haven't played FFG's game?

3. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Nope. I'm still in the process of collecting the books and other needed materials and making sense of the rules. Pretty hard to run a game without the fancy dice and players.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    AV-6R7 likes this.
  5. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Which logically makes WOTC the Holiday Special. I like this analogy.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    AV-6R7, Daneira, Ender Sai and 3 others like this.
  6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ha, I will not defend WOTC too much (though the minis game was great both as a game and as a collection of minis for RP) but I would say more Splinter of the Mind's Eye. When it came out "OH MY GOD! A SEQUEL! LOOK AT THAT ART!"

[​IMG]

Then you read it and it's like... huh. OK. That was...a thing I read. But... why.

Vthuil and KerkKorpil like this.
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Bummer, they missed a great opportunity to make a few fleet troopers non-human or female. Mix things up and make them more diverse!

--Adm. Nick

TheRedBlade, AV-6R7 and Ender Sai like this.
  9. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Cheaper to use human heads I guess? Less design work? IDK. Does seem odd to have not done that for at least half of them. Also no gender diversity.

10. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Gorefiend likes this.
  11. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I've been playing local x wing games for a while, and man, ffg needs to do some new imperial releases or some upgrades that get the imps back into competition shape. Every game I see is dominated by scum and the occasional ghost and Miranda pairing

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    A lot of the battle reports on the FFG forums suggest the gunboats are getting most of the imperial love and play?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Yeah, TIE Silencer is very good right now, but the meta is loving Gunboats with Harpoon Missiles. With Imperial bombers pretty much off the table, Harpoons + Saturation Salvo seems like the preferred Imperial way to force damage.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Gorefiend likes this.
  15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Just two more days till the Profundity and Chimaera are released... I'm keeping my eye out for a shipping notification from the good folks at Miniature Market. :D

--Adm. Nick

Jedi Princess and Ender Sai like this.
  16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Me thinking about Armada's next wave...

[​IMG]

--Adm. Nick

Ender Sai and TheRedBlade like this.
  17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Gorefiend, TheRedBlade and JediBatman like this.
  18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    FINALLY!!!

[​IMG]

I'm not mentioning the other ships in the box. I'm almost ready to accept that I have a severe addiction to Star Wars Armada. I'll be checking into a clinic... :p

--Adm. Nick

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Gorefiend and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The whole point of becoming an adult is that we have no other adultier adult around to tell us not to do this things.

Screw the clinic.

Buy them all, Nick.

PS. Wives or husbands that scowl at our spending do not count as adultier adults.

Just killjoys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  21. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The Profundity is, without a doubt, one of the prettiest models FFG has made. The details, the colors, all just so perfect. I really with Home One was re-released with her more blueish/gray paint job, cause it pales in comparison to the MC75 model and the MC80 Liberty model. I picked up a pair of MC75's, I'm very interested to use them in an upcoming match.

For you Imperial fans, the Chimaera is actually rather lovely. Sure, the symbols on the top are a bit distracting, but I love the paint job and it comes with tons of great cards!

--Adm. Nick

Ender Sai and Sinrebirth like this.
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Iello will buy one, even though he says he wont'.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I'm hoping to sneak a game in this weekend. The Profundity appears to be an admiral's dream, at least if you're the Rebel commander. ;)

I've been super busy this week, so I haven't had time to develop my ideal 400 point fleet with an MC75. As always, it's hard to balance the positive effects of upgrade cards with the negative consequences of concentrating too many ship points in one vessel. Sure, I can arm Home One to the teeth and put Ackbar in command or upgrade the Profundity and use Raddus, but that concentrates ALOT of points. Sometimes, it's a better strategy to forgo most upgrade cards and build a large fleet of standard vessels.

--Adm. Nick

TheRedBlade and Ender Sai like this.
  24. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    They're finally up on the UK Amazon, so just ordered my Profundity.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  25. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I know this is a few weeks old, but Imps are pretty solidly the second-best faction these days. Rebels are clearly the best, with ghost, phantom2, poe, dash, Miranda, and nym (not sure if he's still good after the most recent nerf) all showing up frequently at top tables. Imps are relying mainly on gunboats + harpoons, but Quickdraw, Kylo, and Vader are popular and Defenders are still solid. After getting gutted by nerfs, Scum is still trying to find out what's good for them. The Shadowcaster is probably their best ship right now

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018