main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge 2018 Winter Word Race: TEAM EDITION - First Mini-game up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah that's fine.

I think it might be 199 (don't trust the internet for a host that is doing 20 other things apparently). In any case, I don't think anyone will get anywhere close to where having that one missing one will actually matter.

2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh, what a fun challenge! That word list really takes me back. :p

And, since the last time I checked in I've managed 4,907 words while chipping away at my WIPs. That put a dent in a few updates. :D

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks Bri!

1668 new words for Team Pentasweets today, and it's just an outline :eek:
    You're getting ahead of yourself here [face_devil] (but yes, it's definitely 199.)

Also, do we all agree that "hersey – opinion contrary to popular belief" is a typo for "heresy"?

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_party] Speaking strictly as a reader, all this writing is leading to some oomphy sized updates for me to soak up like the SPONGE I AM! [face_laugh] [face_love] [face_love] [face_dancing]

5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, I think it is. Sorry I didn't vet the website - I just wanted a list of like 200 words that would work in any fandom setting, and there were other more pressing matters at the time.

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Okay, time I asked: what does the word "pentasweets" mean? :D

7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    5 sweet things. We were looking for something to denote the 5 members of the team, and @Chyntuck reminded us of the Greek for 5. "Five Sweet and Spicy Dumplings" would have worked, but it was a bit lengthy.

Nothing so far, but a plot bunny bit hard on the way to work this morning (your fault, @Ewok Poet; I read your OC Spring Challenge!), so after checking in here I am off to Corellia...

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Makes sense. I'm an idiot who has been pronouncing it as "pede" all my life. [face_blush]

Prove it. [face_devil][face_devil][face_devil]

9. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Lucky! I’ve been trying out various plot bunnies during Word Race and the answer so far has been “kill it and put it out of its misery” for one and “throw it back in the hutch” for the other. I’m feeling a little discouraged because after my super-productive day yesterday, I just can’t get in the mood to write tonight and I still don’t have that scene finished. /insert noooooo.gif here

10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Well, it's not much, and it took some doing, but I'm pleased to report that I now have 545 words to contribute to the Goats from U.N.C.L.E. And as I'm writing a character who's an insufferable puffed-up snob, I think some of those SAT words might be just the thing... :p

11. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    1029 words for the Pentasweets, working on the mini-challenge, AND on la Poetessa's OC Challenge: An event from your OC's childhood that influenced them and changed them, whether it was for better or worse. TWO BIRDS, baby! Though now it's an hour past His Majesty's evening snack and my bedtime, so that's it for tonight. Have to go placate him; he is FURIOUS with me. Writing time for me means no lap time for him. I don't think he's approving of this challenge.

12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Glad to see that everybody is doing so well, in both teams! Go, go, go! [face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing]

Checking out with 2344 words for The Goats from U.N.C.L.E. Got to 5K total, which means roughly 1K per day and I'm pleased with that. :) And a little more than 3K to go before the epic reached 100K total. This is a new experience for me, fo sho!

To demonstrate that @Mistress_Renata is not the only person who writes chapters in a random order and that it's not a bad thing, here is the state the first part of my epic at the moment. 8-}
    • Chapters 01-09 posted
    • Chapter 10 to be posted sometime later today (Tuesday), waiting for a couple more regulars <3
    • Chapter 11 was posted as a short in May, so it's a re-post and I shall paste some of the original comments
    • Chapter 12 - in limbo since 2015 - I will be dead on February 20th, REMEMBER THOSE WORDS!
    • Chapter 13 - done
    • Chapter 14 - in limbo since 2015
    • Chapter 15 - done
    • Chapter 16 - half-done
    • Chapter 17 - barely started
    • Chapter 18 - barely started
    • Chapter 19 - formerly chapter 18, a huge, long mess
    • Chapter 20 - barely started
    • Chapter 21 - formerly chapter 20, a huge, long mess
    • Chapter 22 - almost done
    • Chapter 23 - 1/4 done
    • Chapter 24 - 1/4 done
    • Appendix to chapter 24 - done
    • Chapter 25 - 1/4 done
    • Chapter 26 - 1/4 done - drafted in 2015 and a huge, huge mess
    • Chapter 27 - done - LOL, GUESS WHAT I WORKED ON TONIGHT? :p
    • Chapter 28 - 1/4 done
    • Chapter 29 - half-done
    • Chapter 30 - done in late 2015 (!)
    • Chapter 31 - done, that was the one I asked about in The Scribble Pad
    • Chapter 32 - 1/3 done
    • Chapter 33 - 1/4 done
    • Chapter 34 - barely started, but the moment 6 ABY kicks in is already there!
    I aim to wrap it up by my 35th birthday and focus on other decisions, such as whether the whole thing will have the "classic" three parts of, what feels more like me, four, ditching one particular useless subplot, map the outline for the second part etc. Since my birthday is in 25 days, that might be a bit too ambitious. [face_rofl]

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Word counts have been updated. I wrote another 1250 words today bringing the pot up to 3233!

I finished the very random, very fluffy short story that popped into my head. I don't care if it's not that good (and it just kinda ends which is bugging me, but I have no idea how else to end it and I'm not that invested in the prose that I need to fret about the perfect ending). The muse wanted Josh/Sam AU so it got Josh/Sam. And then I went back to my outhouse story and realized what was bugging me about the scene I was working on - I need to switch the POV character as hard as it might be for me to write, I know it will be much more emotionally connected (because this is an emotional outhouse story). So I had to delete a bunch of stuff, but I don't subtract from my word race totals because I think even mistakes that never will make it into the story still contribute to the story.

Anyways, and then I realized this story is probably going to be 4 parts long with a semi-connected prologue vignette, an actual prologue vignette, and a semi-related sequel story. All for one scene with 4 people in an outhouse. All drunk.

I need help.

14. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    No worries at all, you have better things to do even with the awards and RL running! I was just checking in case there was another option I didn't think of.
    I still don't see the problem with "The Brotherhood of the Five Guardians of Quintuple-Spiced Pâtisserie (Word Count Matters Not)". It was to the point, wasn't it?

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I have 2,009 words to add to the winners of this challenge, so I believe the pot is currently up to 5,242 !

I'm concurrently working on four things at once, which means nothing got a ton of words: The current OTP challenge which has gotten out of hand and may need to actually be more than one fic, my fic-gift for Findswoman; The One-hit Wonders challenge, and my DDC. My muse is bouncing around like crazy.

16. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Remind me to tell you the hersey about the Great Hershey heresy..[face_shhh][face_whistling]

17. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I have 2544 new words for Team Pentasweets today, all for my mini-game entry. I just need to let it settle down a little before I re-read it, and I'll be ready to post. #GoPentasweets

18. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Guess that means I need to get to work!

19. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, except that most of us are female, so I suppose it should be the Sisterhood of the Five Guardians of Quintuple-Spiced Pâtisserie (Word Count Matters Not). Or, if we want to be gender-neutral, the Sodality etc. etc. :D

Nothing yet for me, although a lot of writing got done in my head on the commute home. I know where the OC challenge is going and how it will end. Just need to tidy up a few bits in the middle and actually put it on paper. Ambri is sort of a pest, sometimes!

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I wanted to do the OTP challenge but I couldn't seem to figure out how to start my idea and do the VERY VERY AGNSTY story justice. Part of me still wants to write it but I don't think I could do it before the due-date and my muse is is just like "I WANT FLUUUUUUURRRFFFFFFF!!!!" anyways. So I'm currently working on my One-Hit-Wonder challenge because my outhouse story is still bugging me.

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    OMG, are you writing about toilets? :eek: ME.LIKEY.A.LOT.

I do plan to respond to the challenge myself, but the response would be a multi-post and multi-posts are trickier for me than epics and one-shots. For some reasons, I managed to finish four of those, out of eight. The other four are in limbo and I don't even understand why, except for the Jar Jar nonsense story, which is not time-dependent in any way. And I just realised this. This is coming from a person who finished three epics and will definitely finish three more.

Other than that, I have 9 challenge response ideas, one overdue award fic, one lost bet fic, one dare (from @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha), two drabble threads and a barely related plot bunny. I have a wacky, wacky AU idea for a DDC, but that will probably be best left for 2019 and only outlined this year. There are a couple of random plot bunnies, too.

I guess I'll write this week's column, munch on my pasta and do some more writing. :) Didn't even dare to look at those 199 words yet. May as well leave that to the four native speakers in the team. :p

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Findswoman likes this.
  22. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    <------- is challenged by the challenge. I may have to just write a piece with a few of the words. My fics are pretty small potatoes anyway. Going back to my Stranger Things corner.

Mira_Jade and Chyntuck like this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Not my day, annoyed and ashamed by pretty much everything, shall write tomorrow.

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I ended up getting a better idea for my One-Hit-Wonder challenge while washing dishes, so I've decided to let that marinate for a bit, so I went back to the outhouse story (yes, I'm writing about toilets based on a true story) and just kinda wrote the scene without thinking about it too much (because that is the point of this challenge). Now that it's done and I re-read it, I'm happy with it.

So, I have written 1322 words today (hey, I'm in the middle of a snowstorm, still on a semester break, and bored), bringing the grand total in the pot up to 6564.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Between an RP post & a one-shot, I got 456 words for Team Pentasweets

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.