main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I guess I'm just not seeing this decline you keep talking about. His numbers were down a little his age 38 and 39 seasons which correlates with a significant drop in BABIP both years. Hank Aaron saw a similar decline his age 38 season before coming back to post a typical Aaron season when he was 39. Derek Jeter also saw a similar decline in his age 36 and 37 seasons before posting a typical Jeter season when he was 38. And this is the problem with trying to sort out who did what without any actual proof. Things That Always Happen are deemed suspicious for the suspect but not for those we desperately want to be clean.

Amazing.

cubman987 and Chromide like this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Well I'd still have my reservations on Ortiz being in without giving Arod recognition (or Bonds for that matter). Both Arod and Bonds made names for themselves before they were reported to have been involved with PEDs. And Ortiz played six years in Minnesota's bandbox (The Metrodome). You can't convince me that the change in venue might have played a factor in his surge in offense by the time he played through a full year at Fenway.

3. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    For the record, I think A-Rod should be in the Hall just like Bonds and Clemens (I should also be on record that Bonds and Clemens should be in first).

However, realistically speaking, A-Rod has a lot of, let's just call it "stuff", both on and off the field, that voters can potentially use against him on the ballot, even if you factor out the PED use. It's well documented that has been a polarizing figure the entire time he's been with the Yankees, with or without the link to PED use (such as the slapping-the-ball incident, the infamous opt-out during the 2007 World Series, Madonna rumors in the aftermath of his divorce, allegations of high stakes poker, etc). Of course, his postseason performance during his time with the Yankees is also an issue (why else did sports talk media make him the fall guy for countless postseason failures on a national scale, or that his best postseason performance with the Yankees came during the one season the team won a World Series with him?).

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Those shenanigans that you speak of outside of PED use should absolutely hold no sway on his HOF voting chances. Not every ballplayer in the HOF was a saint by any stretch of the imagination. Ty Cobb?

And postseason performance shouldn't necessarily be a factor either; especially if the regular season numbers more than make up for it. Take Kershaw for example. He's one of the elite pitchers of the modern era. A surefire HOFer, right? But he's very mediocre during the postseason. It comes to about a 4.30 ERA through 7 years in the NL. Not really something to write home about.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  6. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    Curt Schilling's pattern of remarks since retirement has been believed to have kept him out thus far. Again, to your point, we already have segregationists such as the game's first Commissioner, Kennesaw Mountain Landis, in the Hall, so clearly there's a double standard there. But if the HoF voters are going to blackball Schilling over remarks he made on Twitter in the years since retiring, or his political views, or whatever controversy is being used against him, then they clearly have even more ammunition to use against A-Rod (especially since A-Rod's name would be placed before the same voter pool as Schilling, as both played during the same era).

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well even though I have no say in the matter, if Arod was declined entry into the HOF along with Schilling, I guess then I could come to terms with it. I haven't liked Schilling since the D-backs bought the 2001 Series (yeah, you heard me right).

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    RIP Oscar Gamble. Great look, and great hitter.

[​IMG]

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I know he went to at least a handful of Yankees' Old Timers games.

heels1785 likes this.
  10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    It’s about to hit Februray 1st and the top FA are basically all still on the board.

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    That is a really good way to have your players be signed. *Rolls eyes*

Juliet316, Chromide and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I love that the hat can't contain the afro. That was such a great look.

I remember when he was on the 1977 White Sox, which won 90 games that year and finished 3rd in the AL West.

14. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    [​IMG]

That is one glorious uniform.

Amazing.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    He looks fine in this one too.

[​IMG]

16. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  17. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    Collusion all over again? Didn't that happen in the years leading up to the 94 Strike?

18. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    It happened in the mid-80s and ultimately led to the '98 expansion draft (the owners needed money for their settlement with the union). I don't think this year is collusion, just a confluence of events: a relatively weak free agent class, smarter front offices, the most recent CBA, and several high spending teams who want to get under the luxury tax. Easy to see why some of top players this offseason aren't happy since they were probably counting on a long-term nine-figure deal, but they're in this spot in large part because the MLBPA negotiated away so many rights of amateur players, both domestically and internationally, and all it's done is served to increase the value of amateur players and the bonus pools available.

Amazing.

19. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    New scoreboard at Coors is the bewbz.

DarthTunick likes this.
  20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Teams are just getting smart that these long contracts are not worth anymore since the juice isn't what it was in the late 90's/early 2000's therefore windows of players falls off a lot quicker. Arrieta by all accounts was offered a 4 year/$110 million extension by the Cubs. That is more then a fair offer for a guy whose going to be 32 years old this season and already seen a major dip in his velocity. Yet he won't take it which is fine but don't grip about collusion when teams are offering fair deals just not redonkicilous money since they finally starting to wise up about some of these contracts.

21. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Mets have an agreement with Todd Frazier on a two year deal. Good signing on its own, but it also means they won't sign Eduardo Nunez which might have caused me to give up all hope.

Amazing.

heels1785 likes this.
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    [​IMG]

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Jim Thome doesn't want Chief Wahoo on his Hall of Fame plaque

24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I was at this game!

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Yankees signed Russell Wilson today!

Juliet316, dp4m and Nanaki like this.