main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Blu-Ray/DVD (US dates: March 13th Digital and March 27th Blu-Ray/DVD)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diego Lucas, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Damn, I'm going to have to finally buy a 4K player for the living room when I pick this up.

2. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    pretty much, but I would not say creative, more like cutting things here and there

3. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    On a non-negative note somehow I think it would be really wild and fun if they let 3 different Star Wars editors make their own 1-2 hour cuts of the entire saga. Like how would they tell the story if they had all of the footage and only 2 hours to do it? I bet everyone would come up with something different. What an awesome special feature that would be for Episode IX’s Blu-ray.

I could even imagine a really funny cut where each emotional beat is given like one 1/2 second shot to convey the idea then on it goes.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There's a deleted scene where Luke's third lesson was just teaching Rey how to do voice impressions.

5. Daveisbored

Daveisbored Jedi Knight

Feb 8, 2017
    I see Zavvi have the steelbooks in the UK: Blu-Ray and 3D Blu-Ray or 4K and Blu-Ray. Placeholder art at the moment, but they list "Includes title on the spine" under features. TFA steelbook didn't, which annoyed a lot of people.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  6. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The Star Wars Show had a behind the scenes look today at the TLJ novelization, and a discussion of deleted scenes from the film that will show up in the book, including the first footage from what's been said to be Luke's third lesson with Rey. It also confirms the deleted scenes and commentary will be on the home video release. Starts at 3:17

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  8. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Looks that the Blu Ray here in Brazil will be release on march 29.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Steelbook - BR 2D + 3D

yanote and Ricardo Funes like this.
  9. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I do not believe they will release the BR 2D + 3D on the same packaging.

Disney in Brazil has a long tradition of making us pay twice if we want 3D. And also not releasing the nicer editions, like the Collector's Edition for TFA.

Maybe one day they will understand that nobody buys physical media anymore, EXCEPT collectors, which want the premium editions.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  10. Diego Lucas

Dec 12, 2015
  11. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    The Bluray will be released on the apex of the hype for Solo.

May be a good strategy.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    March 27 is about a week earlier than TFA and RO were released. Sounds good to me.

Unfortunately I'll most likely have to wait an addition couple of weeks for the Swedish release, but at least it probably won't be in late April this time.

13. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I have a 4K tv but I don’t have a 4K player. Is there really that much of a difference? I’ve been thinking of picking up an Xbox One just to watch movies like this at home.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  14. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    There is, HDR above all.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Darth Dnej likes this.
  15. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    Damn, now I have to look into a 4K player. Have the 4K TV. Maybe trading in my old MacBook for some money back could go towards it.

16. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
  17. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    Thanks for the info!! Helpful!

18. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I will probably buy a bluray copy just to have for the collection, but I will be buying this digitally in 4k as well. TFA was awesome in 4K.

19. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I love how movies are released so much sooner these days. When I was young I remember waiting what felt like more than a year to buy VHS and later DVDs. Seems like the past few years the big movies come out on on demand and Blu-ray only like 4 months or so after release.

Random thought related to the deleted scenes I had on a recent screening: Rey is shown to care about the caretakers in addition to Luke in the deleted scene so Snoke’s line about obliterating the entire island would have even more weight to it. Beyond even just her increased admiration for Jedi lore and significant sites.

20. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I just use my XBox One X personally for my 4K player. It’s a great overall player and since it always updates and whatnot I don’t need to worry about firmware issues that used to be an issue on some Early BD players.

I will say my Xbox has about a 95% success rate on Blu-rays which is garbage, and I don’t really understand why. Sometimes a movie just refuses to play. But then I throw it into the PS4 Pro and it works. I figured out recently it’s not the player or the disc it’s actually just some weird issue that sometimes happens because one time last week this happened and I just restarted the stupid Xbox and it worked fine when I tried again. So that’s odd.

A big reason I justified the XBox One X to myself was that 4K player because I had just bought the Gears 4 One S the year before ha ha. Now that’s the guest TV Xbox.

21. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    I'd highly recommend it if you have the TV already. I don't own a huge number but several I do show a noticeable improvement, particularly in colour. Especially if one you like has a full remaster.

Serpico Jones likes this.
  22. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    The key to 4K is having a display large enough to appreciate it at your viewing distance. It’s a little like the old 720P vs 1080P thing when HD first came out and some people had like 30 inch displays they were gaming on from like 10 feet away. At that distance and that pixel size the differences weren’t as obvious but move up the screen size or viewing distance and the clarity difference was clear.

Seeing a very large display in Blu-ray 4K at a viewing distance that’s relatively close is the closest thing there’s been to having almost an IMAX experience in your own house. Obviously it’s not that but the resolution and detail is mind blowing on a screen larger that’s 65 inches or more and at a viewing distance of 8 feet or less is insane. I would bet details like the Crait mine sequence and dust would all look almost IMAX like in your home with that setup. If your TV distance is closer to 10 feet away then you need closer to an 80 inch display to really notice the details massively. If your setup is closer and your display is within 6 feet (many apartments or condos or even bedrooms for young people for example) then 55 inch 4K is still amazing.[​IMG]

Viewing distance and screen size and resolution all combine for these things.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  23. Diego Lucas

Dec 12, 2015
  24. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I'm not sure what to do either, I have an ultra hd tv 48 inch (biggest possible at my tv place), but have a 3d bluray player. :rolleyes: Distance from tv to my couch is about 60-80 inch. Any recommendations?

25. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002

Depends massively on how much you love 3D or not in your home. 3D on a small screen lacks a lot of the magic on a huge screen for me so I’d opt for 4K considering you seem to be fairly close and have a 4K tv.

But if you absolutely love 3D in your home and regularly find yourself watching movies with your glasses on in your home then the 3D depth might be more your thing.

4K is strictly detail and resolution. If you’re the type who doesn’t enjoy watching trailers on YouTube and makes a point to wait for the HD versions on QuickTime because you love that additional detail then you might be more of a detail fan than you realized. If you’re the type who has ever watched anything illegal on a cam someone provided you and couldn’t appreciate the detail loss then 4K probably is less for you than 3D is.

3D is something that is undeniable. When it’s on you know it. When it isn’t you know it. 4K can be a little more nuanced than that for some.

I want 4K 3D on a big screen personally! Lol.

nightangel likes this.