main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    From Wikipedia (with cites to original source material):

2. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    I never understood that. In the documentary Empire of Dreams, says that George Lucas had already written the whole trilogy and took 1/3 of it to make the first movie. More others say he made the script for The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi after the first movie.

3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    The latter is correct. For some still unexplained reason George Lucas felt compelled to present the Saga as something he'd planned long ago and ahead in detail although plenty of inconsistencies suggest otherwise.

In his 1977 Rolling Stone interview he did talk about Luke's father, Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Kenobi as three distinct and different individuals, ad in the documentary From Star Wars to Jedi he admitted outright that turning Vader into Luke's father in ESB was a last minute idea.

4. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    I have a question,

If they took 19 years to build up the first Death Star, how did they build almost the half of the second one in 3.5-4 years?

New technology or what? And it was even functional while incomplete.

5. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Practice?
    But, seriously, the first one had a lot of tech questions they had to answer. How to use the Kyber crystals to form the beam, for instance. That research was already done so they just applied what they already knew and were able to do it a lot faster.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Story treatments, story and script are not the same thing. He had much of the foundations of the PT layed out on paper (therefore written) before ANH was released. People like to take his words too literally or to mean something specific (in this case, a detailed movie script) when he's speaking more broadly but no less true.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  7. DbD326

DbD326 Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2018
    I've always wondered what the reason was to why he decided to kill his green, twi'lek dancer, all of a sudden? It just happens so randomly and out of the blue. Is it because she danced poorly? In that case, shouldn't the fat dancer been dropped as well? Haha, random question, I know, but it's bugging me!

8. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    The overtone always seemed to be that she rebuffed him. He tried to get her closer, she resisted and well, down the hatch.

Lt. Hija and DarthIshyZ like this.
  9. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I thought the title was the start of a joke and clicked for the punch line :p

anyway yeah, resist a gangster Hutt...you go bye-bye.

10. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Moving to Ask a Question thread.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  11. Alan01

Alan01 Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2018
    HI -- This is my first time at this site, and I'm looking for some info about the release of Star Wars: A New Hope in 1977. Info I've found indicates that it opened in 32 theaters on Memorial Day in 1977, and in only a few more theaters soon thereafter. My question is this...can anyone provide a list showing where these original 32 screens were? A list of cities is enough. I'm coming up dry so far via web searches.

The reason I wonder is that I didn't see it the first time until Fall 1978, and I can't imagine that I'd have waited that long to see it if it had been available where I happened to be.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Snafu55 and DarthIshyZ like this.
  12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I can't find which theaters specifically had the original run, other than two theaters in the New York City area. But it did have roughly an 18-month run in theaters, which explains why you saw it in 1978. That additional run was greatly expanded from the original 32.

13. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    There has got to be something about it here:

14. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
  15. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Where does the idea that Han and Boba had met before ESB come from? I don't recall any reference to them recognizing each other.

17. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Could be they hadn't. Just a reputational thing.

18. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

From the animated film of the Star Wars Holiday Special that first introduced the Boba Fett character to audiences prior to ESB. Boba Fett stays around during Solo's recovery until Artoo and Threepio spill the beans, that Fett has been communicating with Vader which is the moment the bounty hunter goes to the upper hatch (probably the same used by Lando in ESB) and rockets off the Falcon.

It's less clear with Solo's bounty hunter reference to Ord Mantell.

Dagobahsystem and firesaber like this.
  19. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Whatever happened to Luke and Hans medals? We don't see them in the rest of the OT and nowhere in the ST.

20. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    They probably put them in the Rebel's Hero Hall of Fame for display next to the shrine for Admiral Raddus. :p

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  21. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Right next to Chewie's medal.

22. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    If I recall, it’s because she actually tried fighting back. She made a whipping motion with her chain, then made an effort to pull away from him.

23. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    To me it always looked obvious that Oola's dancing *excited* Jabba the Hutt and he pulled her closer because he wanted to do something *nasty* with her. But obviously she couldn't take it anymore, resisted and rejected him, something he wouldn't tolerate and thus sent her into the Rancor dungeon.

24. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Thats a disturbing thought. And that image is now ingrained into my head.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Snafu55 and DarthIshyZ like this.
  25. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    It's also disturbing what happened to her in the Rancor dungeon, I prefer not to think too much about it.

Sith Lord 2015 and Bazinga'd like this.