main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Joonas Suotamo (Chewbacca) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Jonipoon, Apr 11, 2016.

1. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Well then, it's the perfect opportunity for some poetry with another movie opening with some blockade negotiations

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Partially true, though not quite. There's a significant aesthetic difference in the way the shots are lit, textured and populated. The ROTS version was quite painterly and busy with very active volcanic activity, to fit with that less realistic ROTS visual style, and the explosive story of Anakin vs. Obi-Wan. In RO, the scene was made to look more realistic through lighting and textures (as befits RO's realistic style), and with more muted volcanic activity, to fit with a more muted scene. Would have been silly for a brief conversation between Vader and Krennic to be accompanied by constsant volcanic eruptions in the background!

The planet serves a different purpose in each film. And so it looks a little different. Plain and simple.

QsAssistant and 11-4D like this.
  3. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Or it could just be different parts of the planet. It's kind of like someone on Mars debating if scenes in Antarctica are on the same planet as scenes filmed in Haiti.

4. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    True, though someone on the LFL production team noted that Vader's castle is built right next to the site where he was hacked apart by Obi-Wan.

My point was that it was made to look a little different because it serves a different story function in RO than it does in ROTS. That's the actual, out-of-universe reason.

But in-universe, if indeed it is the same area of Mustafar as we saw in ROTS, one can simply conclude that the volcanic activity has died down a bit.

DARTH_BELO and MrMojoRisin like this.
  5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  6. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I guess wookies are born hairless though.

7. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016

Is that canon??????????

?????

??

?

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    When the whole Brazillian fad took off on Kashyyk...

9. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Well, I for one would like to see wookie puppies in a Star Wars film so we can finally get this argument settled after years of endless discussions.

10. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    One thing I didn't like about TFA was that Chewbacca wouldn't even open his mouth when he was upset after Han died while in the Falcon. He should have opened it a little, but there was nothing, yet he was making noise, watch that scene again, there was nothing at all.

I think the younger guy should do the action scenes, but for close ups and emotional scenes, give me Peter Mayhew please. I can definitely tell the difference every time, but his timing, his head nodding, his growling, all of this is where Peter hits it home and shines through as Chewbacca, the other guy hasn't studied Chewie except his action scenes. He needs to pay attention to nods, head movements, when to open his mouth and be emotional. I hope it's a mixture of both, with very good editing, I'm sure this will be good.

11. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I thought Chewbacca's performance in TFA was the best in the saga.

12. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    It looks like we are getting to see the first meeting between Chewie and Han in this movie. I wonder how Han will end up 'rescuing' him? I have a feeling that the fight at the Museum/Trophy Room is part of that sequence, I'm guessing that Chewie - skinned and stuffed - was going to be one of the exhibits.

Giovs, themoth, GregMcP and 2 others like this.
  13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I love it.
    [​IMG]

Lt. Hija, 11-4D, wobbits and 2 others like this.
  14. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I don't know about you guys, but that feels very "end of the movie" esque to me. I'd love it if it ends with Han losing someone, Beckett or Qi'ra, but saving Chewie. Gaining a lifelong friend with the loss of another, and really cementing the life debt and friendship we all appreciate and love.

15. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    The Han and Chewie scenes so far are great. I think Joonas is doing a very good job with Chewie.

16. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

Cantina Regular and wobbits like this.
  17. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    I like it!!

You know yesterday I saw a complaint that it doesn't look like Chewie, something about him being skinny? I could understand if they drastically changed something about the suit or the mask or something visual but weight? I have never once paid that much attention to how much Chewie/Peter Mayhew weighs.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  18. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I'm guessing it's the same costume as TFA used, which I always thought look off. Colors look off and his fur looks too combed. And obviously not Peter Mayhew's eyes. Haven't noticted anything about weight though lol.

19. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    Oh. I love Star Wars but I never honestly got into that nitty gritty of detail. The quality of the fur combing? And I definitely never stared at eyes enough to memorize whether it was Mayhew or someone else. That is a whole other level.

20. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Complaining about Chewie being too skinny sounds rather odd to me. Peter Mayhew was a pretty lanky figure himself. Seeing how Mayhew is quite a bit taller, and with Suotamo having played college Basketball, I'd probably assume that he actually has a more muscular and "thicker" build than Mayhew.

wobbits likes this.
  21. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Chewie was a bit younger, eaten a few fewer Happy Meals. Like all of us, the kilograms come and go over the years.

And we go through periods where we take personal grooming more seriously...

themoth likes this.
  22. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I really like Chewie's new (old, actually) bandolier.
    I wonder if we'll see him assembling his Bowcaster, that would be nice.

23. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
  24. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
  25. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    Darth Smurf likes this.