main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I run a fansite about a person who apparently "never googles himself"...yet acts very impulsively when people say something hurtful or spread lies. So, yeah, everybody hurts...soooomeeeetimes.

2. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    Were the Death Star's large enough to have sufficient mass shadow to effect other ships in hyperspace? Yanking them out of hyperspace in a near miss or destroying them completely in a head-on like a regular celestial object?

3. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Even if they did not have it in their size..I would imagine there were some gravity well projectors on then.

Gamiel likes this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Assuming we're talking about Legends, because in canon, a ship can apparently remain or go to lightspeed while still in a planet's atmosphere (the Falcon at Starkiller Base; the Rebel ship at Jedha).

Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. Gravity well projectors, these days, "yank you out of hyperspace once you've entered it" rather than stopping you from entering it in the first place. They seem to go above and beyond "regular gravity".

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  6. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    I ask because celestial objects follow a regular path and are charted, where as the Death Stars are mobile and could cause big problems to galactic travel if they can in fact effect hyperspace travel.

7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I wouldn't think so, because they're no larger than a moon. Even the Death Star II wasn't as big as a regular planet, so it probably wouldn't affect hyperspace travel like that.

8. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    That as well could be a size thing...try to pull that off with something like a Star Destroyer and you just crashed the ship and destroyed whatever it crashed into.

9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Speaking of maps... any Star Trek: Discovery fans here? The war map of the Federation-Klingon War, especially after the last episode, is EXTREMELY interesting. It's also a great example of a non-canon map (Star Trek: Star Charts) making it's way into formal canon.

--Adm. Nick

blackmyron, LelalMekha and Vthuil like this.
  10. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    They should've used the updated map from the excellent Stellar Cartography box set of maps. It was just the Star Charts map updated. But it took into account Enterprise linking the Briar Patch and Klach d'kel Bracht.

The box set is worth it to Trek map fans.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    blackmyron and Vthuil like this.
  11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    There were a number of additions as well - I went over the Stellar Cartography maps with a fine-toothed comb.
    The new ST RPG also uses the Star Charts maps.
    That's great news. Those maps are amazing.

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Is there a link to the updated map?

Based on the map in DISCOVERY, the Klingons are literally on the border of the Federation's core founding members. Within a stones throw of Earth, Vulcan, and Andoria...

--Adm. Nick

13. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/reviews/books/stellar_beta.jpg

Not much difference. (Another map in the collection places the Delphic Expanse in this region, but above. And Disco's map seems to have moved the Alpha/Beta quadrant line "east" a bit.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Gorgeous! [face_love]

--Adm. Nick

15. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    blackmyron and LelalMekha like this.
  16. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Darth_Duck likes this.
  17. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    I will test it out next time I'm near 40 Eridani and we'll see. Though you will probably be right, since I can't speak or read Vulcan.

But seriously folks, Star Trek: Stellar Cartography by Larry Nemecek, Ian Fullwood (!), Ali Ries and Geoffrey Mandel is a product that needs a Star Wars version. I could easily think of 10 maps I'd want in small poster size.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I believe that Dan and/or Jason said the original ST Star Charts was an inspiration for the Atlas.
    The Atlas was much more comprehensive, though; Star Charts only covered about 20% of the Alpha/Beta systems.

19. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    I've always found it confusing how the Federation spans a good portion of the Alpha and Beta quadrants, yet it seems to me that a starship can cross the entire territory in well under a year despite Voyager needing 70 years to get back home from the Delta quadrant despite the distance not seeming much greater.

20. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    It seems that the Federation territory is either incredibly vast or on the contrary rather compact depending on what the scenario requires.

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The'core' of the Federation is always a relatively compact region, but the maps have far-flung colonies and members.

LelalMekha likes this.
  22. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    There's also the fact that, if Federation space truly spans 8 or even 10 thousands light years, it still would take years even at Warp 9 to cross that distance. I don't see how you could hold a complex political system together if you must take years just to visit some of your member worlds. Of course, it is well known that Sci-Fi Writers Have No Sense of Scale.

blackmyron likes this.
  23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    It's been a fan theory for years that ST has 'hyperspace lanes like SW - that was partially vindicated by Enterprise, when Earth got Vulcan to provide their coveted 'star maps. Development of the Federation might be similar to that of the OR, as shown in the Atlas.

24. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I keep opening this thread eagerly and then being like, "Wait ... there's a Star Trek?"
    In other words, you're all monsters.

DarthJaceus, jSarek, Daneira and 7 others like this.
  25. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    You imagine correctly. The old WEG adventure "Scavenger Hunt" prominently featured a prototype gravity well generator from the wreckage of the original Death Star.

... oh, sorry, wrong thread. Yes, I too really liked the thing with the teleporter accident that happened to the one guy after the warp drive did the thing that made the people with goatees angry. But it went downhill after the alien with the weird forehead makeup joined them while they went fast across space and broke the big rule that they shouldn't have by romancing the alien in colored bodypaint.