main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Im sure most people have seen parts of this, but a great discussion of the movie with Rian, for both folks who adore the movie and hate it.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Thread merge.

3. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    So, to...save money, they just skipped "corrections" and reshoots.

Crossed their fingers and hoped for the best.

Nice visual aid, though.

TK327 and rebelknight1 like this.
  4. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    We are now twisting a smooth production to reinforce hate for the film.

Smooth production = bad film
    Troubled production (Solo) = bad film

Disney just can't win I guess.

5. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Rogue One was good.

The ST could easily have been better (and they have one last chance to redeem it in Episode IX) by just following Lucas' handed over scripts. It's his story after all. Not KK's.

rebelknight1 likes this.
  6. rebelknight1

rebelknight1 Jedi Padawan

Dec 15, 2017
    Whether production went smoothly or not has nothing to do with the resulting film being good or not. TLJ had smooth production but is a terrible film (in my opinion). Solo, which was clearly plagued with production issues may well end up being a bad film but that has yet to be seen.

Remember R1 had major production issues but most people seem to love it as a Star Wars movie.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

DarthTalonx and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  7. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    Nope, actually the story literally belongs to KK and Lucasfilm now. George Lucas sold his company to Disney several years ago. Wild, eh?

8. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    Better is a subjective term though. To me and many others the ST is fantastic and doesn't need redemption with IX.

9. rebelknight1

rebelknight1 Jedi Padawan

Dec 15, 2017
    There is no denying that this is the most devisive and hated Star Wars movie since AOTC. Stating that many like it does not refute this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

10. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    That doesn't mean it wasn't his story. Read what I wrote again carefully instead of acting all arrogant.

But they could have been so much better. I do think Lucas' original ideas would probably have flowed better. Someone posted them on here, and they sounded good. It's sad if they threw out his version though. I mean HE created Star Wars. It doesn't feel like they are trying to continue the story naturally. But instead using the Star Wars name and original cast to fit around their new cast who have been constructed without a story.

I think the problem is TFA. Whilst entertaining, it wasted a precious episode slot that didn't bridge the saga together. TLJ didn't rectify it. We needed flashbacks, exposition etc. Where did the Empire go, the Jedi, all of it. Were they real?

-LordSkywalker- and rebelknight1 like this.
  11. KembaSkywalker

Jun 16, 2016
    Oh, I don't mean to sound arrogant. Just informing you that the story literally doesn't belong to George Lucas anymore. It belongs to Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  12. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Actually, doesn’t it technically belong to Disney?They own Star Wars now, and LFL and Kk work for them, right?

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  13. KembaSkywalker

Jun 16, 2016
    You're darn tootin'!

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  14. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    I think you might be in the wrong thread?

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  15. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    A) In case they had plans for really big reshoots, I'd say yes.
    B) Like Volkswagen did with the car exhaust scandal ..... I'd say not so uncommon when it comes to "big money"

16. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    We heard about every other production issue under the sun with the other films yet somehow didn’t hear anything other than a smooth run for TLJ. There was no “hope for the best” because the production had no issues.

It finished early and on budget. If it needed fixing KK would’ve done it as she has a history of doing just that. Solo is the perfect example - wasn’t happy with how production was going so she got Howard in to take over because she would rather “do it right” than “hope for the best”.

All the evidence points to Rian running a really tight ship and that he had the tick of approval from Lucasfilm and Disney. It’s why they gave him a trilogy. They wouldn’t have done that if he needed course correcting.

17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I said "IF". I am speculating what a big company would do in case of.

18. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    So the GOT creators are also doing a SW trilogy separate from the episodes and the RJ saga. This only about 3 months since they announced the Rian saga.

Would anyone be shocked if the Rian saga was "postponed"?

rebelknight1 likes this.
  19. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I was like what the bantha are you on about no where has reported that and lo and behold it’s true. Big news.

No I don’t think it will be postponed. They’re separate productions so they can work in tandem.

20. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Yes - they could work. Disney could have as many sagas as they want going on in theory.

Hard to imagine them having 3 separate lines at the same time though (Episodes/Rian/GOT Creators)

21. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I imagine the episodes will take a 10 year break after IX

22. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Would make sense. Maybe disconnect from the new characters created and start anew. Or pull another Skywalker out of somewhere.

23. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    The saga might just be done at IX. Even LF still calls it the Skywalker Saga, and I don’t get the impression that they are interested in telling Skywalker stories forever.

At first I thought this must have significant impact on RJ’s trilogy, but it really could just be about marvelizing SW. if Marvel can tell a bunch of different stories, often at the same time, inside their universe, why not SW?

I’m definitely curious about the tone. Will they make a version of SW but for adults only? I’ve never watched GoT because I thought the first book was super boring, but my impression is that it is very modernly adult.

-LordSkywalker- and 2Cleva like this.
  24. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    It’s worth sticking with the books, once you get your head round the different character POV’s it becomes a lot more compelling. But i would highly recommend the show. It’s definitely not boring, y9u’ll be hooked from the start (plus, it has mysteries that actually have answers that can be worked out by analysing the show, digging deep into it)
    The nudity is sometimes a bit OTT, there’s a lot of exposition delivered in brothels, but if you can get past that, it’s great, and nobody with a passing interest in sci if or fantasy should miss out on seeing these characters

25. Pete Ren

Pete Ren Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2017
    I completely agree. I don’t like the movie one bit, but I’d never abuse anyone involved. It’s nasty.

Nate787 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.