main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Game of Thrones Creators to [no longer] Write and Produce a New Series of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  2. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away....

Episode I

Brother Shags Sister

I'm sure they're capable of more than this, but there's going to be a good amount of taking the mick.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Gamiel and Nobody145 like this.
  4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I'm, conflicted about this as I have mixed opinions on how they handle things on GOT. So, we'll see I guess.

5. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don’t want to be negative. Especially reflexively negative before we’ve see anything. And I have tried to avoid harshing people’s joy for a show that annoys me as much as i enjoy it and the book franchise it stems from.

But I find it really, really hard to see anything positive in this news.

DelRiego, FS26, Gamiel and 22 others like this.
  7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I was going to joke about how long it will be before Kennedy fires them, but I guess they're only writing/producing.

How does it work with other people coming in to produce Star Wars movies, like Abrams with the sequels, Ram Bergman with TLJ and the new trilogy, and now these guys? Just how much does that actually impact what say they have or how much Disney gets out of the revenue? It seems strange to have outside producers come into a major series owned by a major studio.

ImpKnight likes this.
  8. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I don't watch Game of Thrones, so my only real takeaway from this is that there's a new series of films coming by people who have worked on something a lot of people like. I'm assuming it'll be different from whatever that is because I doubt we'll get R-rated Star Wars.

Overall, I'm excited that we're getting more Star Wars. Bring it on.

edited to reply:
    One of the concerns I've had with the sequels is that they didn't seem to have a cohesive direction other than "we're doing another trilogy". My initial impression with the Rian Johnson trilogy and this series is that it'll be put together more like the PT than the OT in that there's a direction and destination in mind, which is hopefully a good thing.

Gamiel and Xammer like this.
  9. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    Eesh, not excited about this . . . I feel the first few seasons of Game of Thrones were good because the novels were good. When D.B. and David were left to their own devices without George R.R. Martin's framework was when the show really started to suffer.

Does this mean that they aren't going to work on their HBO show about the alternate universe where the Confederacy successfully splits form the US and slavery is still an institution? No? That project is still in the works? Dammit.

FS26 and Ackbar's Fishsticks like this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Being more serious, it could go either way and it’s not without precedent.

Matthew Stover’s fantasy work is known to be pretty damn brutal, but he also did some of the best Star Wars books going in Shatterpoint and Luke Skywalker & The Shadows of Mindor, plus really did a number on the novelisation of ROTS.

I think it’ll either be horrible or fantastic.

11. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Wait I thought D&D were going to do that alternate history show Confederate? Or was that scrapped?

12. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Benioff's done a lot of stuff that isn't Game of Thrones. He wrote the script for the Kite Runner, for instance.

13. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Im so happy we are getting more star wars films just dont know if its too soon for an announcement thats years away

revan772 likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It’s so hard to talk about GoT. There are so many different considerations. It’s a popular show based on a popular book series. And it IS well done, especially in the acting and costuming department.

But these guys are being brought in for writing. And I have little confidence in that department.

But hey at least I’m no longer worried about Solo.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Like the prospect of nuance and subtlety being bludgeoned to death so the masses can enjoy tits and dragons doesn't give you a positive surge on this? I for one can't wait for the imperial moff villain to monologue his thoughts in front of a pair of nubile blue skinned Twi'leks, who are vigorously having relations with one another for no other purpose than the perception of being shocking and bold to insipid audiences.

Maybe they could even just recast Aiden Gillen, save GoT the challenge of having to expend any more energy on thought than is necessary for breathing, eating, and singing the show's praises.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2018
  16. GFFAwakens

GFFAwakens Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2015
    I am incredibly conflicted over this announcement, BUT...what if this expansion into multiple new branches of the greater Star Wars universe finally allows for some better NEU novels and comic books? If we open the world up so wide to where SW doesn't always involve our little known corner of the galaxy, maybe there is greater room for new NOVEL TRILOGIES OR SERIES that can re-introduce us to the feeling of a Wild Wild GFFA that the 90's books gave us once upon a time. *THIS* board has always been my favorite one on this site, because for the longest time STAR WARS, to me, was this amazing expanded universe that I got lost in. I want that back.

revan772, kalzeth, Kylun and 3 others like this.
  17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    BREAKING: Nincompoops who completely missed the point of ASOIAF hired to help Disney continue to completely miss the point of Star Wars.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    But, we'll get breasts, rape, ridiculously overhyped stakes in order to be more SHOCKING than before, more rape (because you can't possiby hit a woman, but you need to show the mouthbreathers that she's faced adversity) but possibly Duinuogwuin. And rape.

Gamiel, CT-867-5309, Havoc123 and 2 others like this.
  19. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I was hoping they'd announce Emmy, Grammy and Golden Globe winner Donald Glover was working on a movie.

OTOH since these guys are famous for turning books into tv do clearly they can only turn books into things, so why not turn books into movies? So get ready for TTT or the NJO on screens.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    They Josef Frizl's the books, so do you want them anywhere near TTT?

21. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I mean I actually wouldn't be opposed to some Rated-R SW spinoffs under the right circumstances. I'm just not convinced that these guys are the right people to do that.

SpecForce Trooper and kalzeth like this.
  22. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    They've got experience with large scale so I suppose that's a positive. But as a fan of ASOIAF I'm not really that big on them as writers, so its really mixed feelings from my end.

SwordoftheMorning and Ender Sai like this.
  23. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    hahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahaahaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

hehe

ha

24. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Out of curiosity, what work have they done outside of Game of Thrones?

Based on it...well, they adapted the scenes from the book well enough, but as the series has gone on and they have had to use more of their own material...well, I felt the material has really dropped in overall quality, and in particular things don't seem to happen for reasons anymore....plus, there seems to be a consistent "Good is dumb, evil is smart" no matter how self-destructive it would be in a logical universe thing going on in Game of Thrones - even some of the earlier seasons subtly alter lines in this manner - that I don't think works very well in Star Wars....

Though, admittedly, their "do what is cool regardless of how little sense it makes" approach might work a lot better in Star Wars than it does on a show that is about intricately plotted character arcs and complex politics.

Gamiel, La Calavera, Vthuil and 2 others like this.
  25. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I wasn't being serious. At all. But as someone who has never read ASOIAF, never will read ASOIAF, but who likes GoT I'm not terribly upset by this announcement. I'm sure TTT would be great, or haven't you dreamed of seeing Gilad Palleaon's mustache and glistening, heaving bosom on screen?

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

kalzeth likes this.