main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yep. a lot of people have been acting like complete hooligans towards RJ over social media. Some people just need to have twitter taken away from them if they act inappropriately enough. As far as I know people can say pretty much anything they want with absolutely no repercussions on twitter.

Satipo likes this.
  2. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    The sudden news about the writers of the unnecessary new new trilogy make me think something gonna happen with RJ being the writer of the new trilogy. Why did Disney want to create the second new trilogy if we know nothing about the first new trilogy? If there was enough SW movies alread. Thats the legit thing to think about. I think with GoT creators hired as the writers of the new new trilogy, the RJ fate was sealed.

3. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Have to say my first reaction was that Disney are hedging.

If one team has a great treatment and the other is no good they cut it to the curb.

Best case scenario, if both trilogies are amazing on paper they get another decade of so of new content.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  4. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Someone said it earlier - if Marvel can manage multiple films at a time so can Lucasfilm as they have for the past 3 years.

The other thing to consider is they’re not releasing all 6 movies at once. It could easily go in a RJ1, DD1, RJ2, DD2 etc etc.

I will say however that I feel that singular Anthology films might be off the table after the next one to leave room for the new trilogies.

So ideally it could go like -

2018 - SOLO
    2019 - SWIX
    2020 - last standalone Anthology for the time being (possibly Kenobi)
    2021 - RJ1
    2022 - DD1

And then alternate until each is wrapped up before potentially returning to the Skywalker Saga or focus on a series of one offs.

Ender_and_Bean and CEB like this.
  5. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    When I read the news this morning, my first thought had been "So this is how Disney reacts to the 'nonexistent' TLJ backlash (and Mr. Johnson)". Frankly, I never understood why Mr. Johnson had been announced to create a new trilogy before TLJ was released. IMHO, common sense would have suggested to first release TLJ, examine the reactions, and then decide who to put in charge of a new SW trilogy.

I'm afraid two co-existing new trilogies will confuse general audiences, I'd bet they just go for one and produce anthology films to fill the 'gaps'.

6. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    A lot of people projecting their desire onto this announcement.

No, this doesn’t mean that RJ will be pushed aside -
    “two co-existing trilogies will confuse audiences”

1: audiences have had no problems with understanding the difference between saga entries and spinoffs thus far
    2: As far as I’m aware, D&D’s films have not been referred to as a “trilogy” anywhere, so you’re arguing against something that hasn’t been claimed.
    3: At ‘this stage, there’s literally nothing that Disney/Lucasfilm could do that wouldn’t be viewed by “backlashers” as a reaction or response. If Lucasfilm don’t want RJ’s trilogy, they’ll get rid of RJ. RJ hasn’t been gotten rid of.

7. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    My (white-collar) colleagues at work asked me repeatedly about the order and chronology of SW films, they hadn't memorized where the PT fit in, had a basic understanding that TFA would be a sequel to the OT (because of an older Harrison Ford), but wouldn't understand where Rogue One fit in.

For us fans these things may be crystal clear, but based on my personal experience this apparently doesn't necessarily apply for general audiences.

8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Why is it relevant they are white-collar?

TK327 and CEB like this.
  9. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Because with construction workers or people with a less-educated background there might be less doubt that they could be confused.

10. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
  11. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Jesus Christ.

Look, it will be simple. As the content of the new films becomes clear, marketing campaigns will show audiences what is going on with what. I will never understand the pearl-clutching of the hardcore fans who worry about whether the normals will have the brain power to understand the concept of different stories.

And no, RJ's trilogy is going nowhere. That's why they namechecked it in the announcement.

We have the next 10 or so years of SW movies lining up now. If you don't like the idea of RJ's trilogy, you don't have to watch it. There will be something else to fill your SW fix.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  12. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Some people are trying really hard to find a straw to cling to...
    Whenever something gets reported, they twist themselves into a pretzel so that they can read into the news whatever they desperately want to happen.

As has been mentioned above, no, the Johnson trilogy isn't going anywhere. Not only has that trilogy been explicitly named in the new announcement, but the whole timing makes it abundantly clear that this has nothing to do with TLJ. When you make a new project, you don't just ask someone, get an immediate reply and then announce it right afterwards. This whole thing is a process, one that takes quite a bit of time. In no way was this thought of, decided upon and announced in the matter of just a few weeks. Which means that this whole thing had been going on before TLJ was even released.

13. Darth Vain

Darth Vain Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2016
    Not your finest hour. Really.

14. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Just wow at that response.

Ironically, the only people who seem to have trouble understanding Star Wars are some hardcore fans blinded by biases.
    Star Wars itself is INCREDIBLY accessible, and barely “nerdy” at all.

15. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    The audience had no issues differentiating R1 from the Saga films. With ticket prices as high as they these days people don’t just go into a movie clueless about what it is. Sure they will be the odd person here or there that might be confused but general audiences aren’t stupid.

They’ll work in tandem. It’ll be fine. RJ is fine, we’re all fine. How are you?

16. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    This makes sense. They want more, not less. And they trust RJ.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  17. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    My best guess for the GOT creators? Any version of KOTOR or at least far into the past. Would seem perfect for them.

18. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    My question is why does almost everything need to be a trilogy? Why can’t there just be all stand alone films once the skywalker saga is finished? There certainly would be less chance for continuity errors that way, and if one doesn’t like the premise of the film, it’s one and done, whereas when there’s a trilogy, it’s highly likely that if someone doesn’t like the first one, he/she isn’t going to be chomping at the bit to see the other two.

19. TheFastJedi

TheFastJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2017
    This is from the release on Starwars.com:

"It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi."

1. The films announced yesterday are referred to as a "series", not a trilogy. Given they have gone out of their way to call RJ's a "trilogy", one can only assume this matters, and the series won't necessarily be a "trilogy". So this apparently isn't creating "two trilogies". Though, between this "series", and RJ's "trilogy", Disney surely has lots of options for Star Wars over the next decade. It seems as though they plan to move away from the single film anthology films (RO, Solo, maybe Kenobi), to the series and trilogy during the next decade.
    2. They explicitly say that the new series is separate from not only the Skywalker saga, but the recently announced trilogy RJ is doing.

And some are responding to this by saying the RJ trilogy won't happen? Seems pretty explicit that Lucasfilm is saying both are going to happen.

20. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Yes, although how that answers or relates to my point, I don't follow you. Either way George who wrote Star Wars left them with scripts and a plan. Which they didn't follow. Someone could buy out Ford. It doesn't mean that the new buyer invented the Ford T does it.

The point is Star Wars had coherent, flowing, logical story telling. And I don't doubt that Lucas' story would have made sense and added a new 3 films, whilst linking to the old saga to form one complete saga. KK is just doing something weird with no plan. These films don't appear to have any plan. They are enjoyable yes, but not coherent.

Lol you mean like Darth Talon's seduction of Cade?

I think a lot of Star Wars stories could be told. Frankly Labrynth of Evil on screen would be cool. Characters like Aayla Secura, Master Shyrne (Rise of Darth Vader novel). Or even the Old Republic era.

I don't think doing something just after Episode IX would be good. That would mean they wasted the sequels to set up extra films instead of actually doing the saga properly.

I feel like a trilogy actually showing the Empire's point of view would be interesting.

21. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    It’s a matter of record that Lucas didn’t leave a “script”, and I think anyone who is being reasonable and balanced about this stuff has to acknowledge that George Lucas isn’t universally regarded as highly as he is by you after the PT, and many would strongly disagree that he can be assumed to be a writer of coherent, flowing stories.

22. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    @TheFastJedi , thank you for your post. Maybe the ones just announced will be Stand alone ‘s then, but with the same characters.

23. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    The PT dialogue could have been better. But ultimately he came up with Star Wars. And the OT/PT have arcs and flow together.

I can't see why someone would criticise the PT, and not criticise the ST.

24. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    They can be criticised for different things to different extents. The ST hasn’t had the troughs the PT had, but hasn’t quite had the peaks the PT had.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  25. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    B-but George's big twelve part Star Wars book that he's had written out since 70s!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.