main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'd assume that the massive gravity well created by the gas giant Yavin made it impossible to jump from hyperspace right on top of Yavin. Beyond that, I don't overthink those sorts of things. Star Wars isn't hard science, folks that try to view it that way are in for a frustrating time. :p

--Adm. Nick

jSarek, JediBatman and TheRedBlade like this.
  2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    It could also be an issue with the size of the ship....Smaller ships can get closer and cut corners more...something the size of the DS is pretty much able to jump to the edge of a system or into space between planets and cruise the rest of the way.

3. StarWarsIsGood

StarWarsIsGood Jedi Master

Feb 22, 2006
    The book Tarkin has microjumps, there are examples in other books too possibly. I think it being an issue with DS (scale, gravitation between between the planet, moon, and station), and Tarkin's 'hubris'/thought process making him disinclined to do that, work well in-universe. Out of universe I don't really think about it because I feel the approach of the Death Star really heightens the tension of the battle and the stakes.

jSarek likes this.
  4. Admiral Keller

Admiral Keller Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2017
    This just dawned on me. They attack the planet with a laser battering ram thingy made from "miniaturized Death Star tech." Why is the Eclipse or Sovereign not a thing then? I feel like the First Order showing up with a fleet of those in TFA would've been a far better plot then Starkiller base. It would've cost them less resources too probably.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  5. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    We really don't need more power creep.

Nobody145 and JediBatman like this.
  6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    It's not like 30 minutes was all that long of a wait for the Death Star to get into firing position. Even if the Death Star could do microjumps, it probably wasn't worth firing up the hyperdrives just for that...and with the planet in the way, I'm thinking it might have taken even longer than 30 minutes than just going around by sublight engines.

jSarek, JediBatman and Resistance_Man like this.
  7. Resistance_Man

Resistance_Man Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    Really, I feel the DS-1 should not have even been able to go into hyperspace, since it is 160km.

8. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    Then what on earth would the point of a planet-killing superweapon be? You'd build it at one planet, and that one planet is all you'd be able to blow up, then its 10000 years to travel to the next closest one, God forbid you need to blow up a planet on the entire opposite end of the galaxy.

Daneira, jSarek, JediBatman and 2 others like this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    How else would it go places to threaten planets with being shot at (and carry out the shootings if threats don't work)?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Resistance_Man

Resistance_Man Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    True, but I mean, it's like sending the moon or pluto through hyperspace, It has always irked me because of how big it is.

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Moon and Pluto are much bigger than 160km though. Pluto is over 2000 km in diameter - some 13x as wide as the DS1.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Admiral Keller

Dec 15, 2017
    Size is not a problem. We're talking about transiting into a different dimension to transit across vast distances in a matter of minutes/hours/days. Different dimensions can have different rules. The only rule we know that has any play on Hyperspace is immense gravity of realspace objects (stars, black holes, planets). We don't know if the reverse is true.

The Death Star coming out of hyperspace and settling into a system should throw orbits out of wack by some degree, depending on the size of nearby objects

13. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Weren't microjumps established to be really tricky to pull off anyways? I can only recall Thrawn and Jedi doing it. If it's tricky to pull it off with regular ships, imagine trying it with a massive, one of a kind space station that the Emperor put a lot of work into. Waiting 30 minutes is the safe/sane option.

14. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    And it's not like Tarkin was concerned about his plan. If he was he would have deployed more fighters or brought in destroyers. He didn't.

King of Alsakan and JediBatman like this.
  15. Admiral Keller

Dec 15, 2017
    Correct me if I'm wrong but they were used a decent amount in the X-wing books.

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Well either the Death Star can travel through hyperspace...or else it's stuck in whatever solar system it was built in.

17. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Honestly, even with all of Tarkin's hubris, if it wasn't for Luke, he would have won. Even if the Rebel fleet had been ten times the size it was at Endor, it probably couldn't have taken the first Death Star, which is why they were so desperate to destroy the second Death Star before it was completed (no exhaust port this time).

That "miniaturized Death Star battering ram" felt silly though. Like why bother with dragging that thing down there when it could be mounted on a Star Destroyer? Well, most of the fleet had been wiped out earlier, but still, for something that's supposed to be related to the Death Star, it was underwhelming (it blew a hole in the base door and that's it). But then that whole battle was boring anyway (rusty skimmers vs. brand new AT-M6).

Snafu55 and Alpha-Red like this.
  18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the goal was to take as many Resistance members as possible alive. Thus, the cannon does minimal collateral damage - blows a hole in the base door, but doesn't incinerate everything within the base.

It needs therefore to be precisely positioned, on a stationary surface. Firing it from a Star Destroyer, might compromise that - it would also mean that the beam slants down from the Star Destroyer (since Star Destroyers that size don't land), instead of firing straight at the door.

19. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    You don't send a Tector to do these jobs. You send an ImpStar, or a VicStar; they're the generalist ships that can operate independently. The Tector is in a fleet somewhere, served by fleet tenders and waiting for its chance to pummel some poor target into pudding.

I've always just assumed that micro-jumping a moon-sized object was such a colossal waste of resources that not even the Empire would justify it lightly. When your only concern is thirty gnats buzzing around your behemoth, better to just take your time and complete your orbital approach. Kriff, it might have taken nearly half an hour just to prep the hyperdrives of the Death Star to make a jump anyway; I can imagine moving 17 million cubic kilometers of technology into hyperspace being anything but a trivial matter.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  20. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Not that I can recall. Wookieepedia has a list of apperences, and the X-wing books aren't among them. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Precision_hyperspace_jump

Ok, what if it's not a planetary Governor, but Darth Vader, who wants to talk to the captain about his performance? Bet the captain would be wishing they had at least a small hangar then.

I understand the idea of specialization, but it seems more like a handicap if it's completely useless in any other situation and unless it's surrounded by other ships. (The Empire appears to like sending Star Destroyers on their own anyways). I mean, if the continuity error never happened, would people really be clamoring for a new Star Destroyer deign without a hangar to fill this obvious tactical gap in the Imperial fleet?

Despite what I said above, I don't think i'd mind as much if it was a completely original Star Destroyer design that just happened to not have a bridge. But it's not, it looks exactly like an Imperial Star Destroyer, except without the hangar and the handwave informed attribute "oh it's got lots of armor. Trust us". If the Tector is supposed to be so role specific, so dependent on other ships, then why make it look almost exactly like another ship designed to be completely independent? As an example,the X-wing is often described as a "jack of all trades, master of none" ship able to fill a variety of roles, and whose hyper-drive makes it independent. This is like introducing a new rebel fighter that looks exactly like the X-wing with slight cosmetic changes, and claiming it's now only good at being a bomber and only when working with other ships.

Chris0013 likes this.
  21. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    My point is you would still need some sort of shuttle capability so you are not showing up and relying on wherever you go to to send a shuttle to pick you up from the ship. Sentinel, Lambda and possibly even TIE/sh types.

Imagine a fleet operation and the Fleet Commander calls a meeting on the flagship...do you as the captain of the Tector say "Hey...can someone pick me up on the way??"

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  22. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I think that is as good of an explanation as any. You would think if they wanted everyone dead, it probably would been pretty easy to do from a distance.

23. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Oh about the Tector:
    [​IMG]
    Having no hangar might be a bit limiting, but ships can still dock! Plenty of smaller ships don't have hangars themselves. They operate fine.

24. Mightyrorschach

Mightyrorschach Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2017
    removed, flame. /heels

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2018
  25. Mightyrorschach

Mightyrorschach Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2017
    removed, flame. /heels

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2018