main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    If those were Mirror Georgiou's terms, then there's very little they can do.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Keeping her Mirror Universe origins a secret was not part of her terms. It's something Saru decided. Keep in mind that this is exactly the same crew who followed psychopath Mirror Lorca (whom I still think was not always meant to be from the MU but that's another discussion) because they thought he was legit. Now they think Mirror Georgiou is legit. If they knew the truth, would they not be less likely to fall for any of her ****?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  3. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    I think the bridge crew have to know this is a ruse. The rest of the ship, maybe not, but anyone who was around for the Battle of the Binary Stars and saw Mirror Georgiou's transmission to Burnham have to know what's up here.

4. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The transmission was on the Mirror Shenzou, wasn't it?

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Everyone's favourite one or two lines an episode hemswoman, Keyla Detmer, looked pretty happy when Mirror Georgiou walked onto the bridge and she served on the Shenzou so she's buying it at least.

I did see an interesting comment that while trying to fit Discovery into continuity is a pretty consistently losing battle, it DOES add some context to how the shady, angry, Starfleet / Klingon conspiracy in Undiscovered Country can come about. The Klingons are only really truly nasty in their first TOS episode but if you add this whole "Almost beat Starfleet to a nub about 50 years ago" to it, then I can see how they'd get such a vast conspiracy to spoil peace between them.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Oh you’re right it was. I’m not entirely clear on what details of the mirror universe expedition the bridge crew are aware of then. I guess just whatever Burnham and Saru saw fit to tell them.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    People who know that Georgiou is an evil alternate dimension version seem to be Burnham, Saru, that random ensign who beamed them over, Sarek, Admiral Cornwell, .... I'm unclear if all the higher ups in Starfleet knew as well but maybe Cornwell and Sarek didn't fill them in / had bigger plans on the table. Probably not.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  8. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    My theory for the season finale is that Qu'onos gets blown up, leaving the Klingons unable to further wage the war against the Feds. They either need to rebuild and terraform the Planet or find themselves another Capital, which they will also call Qo'nos. The hatred against the Federation helps the houses to unite under a single flag again.

In the time between Discovery and TOS they build up their forces until they are ready for another war against the Federation in "Errand of Mercy".

My theory explains, why the Intervention of the Organians was necessary to stop the war from happening and why the Organians never bothered to prevent another war: The Klingons were angry as f... over what happened to Qo'nos and the war might have destroyed the entire alpha and beta quadrants.

Clues for my theory might be the destruction of Qo'nos in the Mirror Universe and the differences between what Qo'nos looked like during Enterprise and later in TNG.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I figure it'll be revealed that the main universe this series takes place in is not the prime "Star Trek" universe, but yet another parallel. The season finale ends when they get swept into another interdimensional transference event and encounter another Discovery, crewed by their counterparts, and it's clearly one from the prime universe. And right next to it...the Enterprise, commanded by Robert April.

Courage fanfare. Fade to black. Roll credits.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Discovery is set two years after The Cage, so Pike should be the Captain of the Enterprise.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I stand corrected re: the timeline, but I still think this is the only way to reconcile the massive departures from established continuity.

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It's been very bendy but not completely broken yet ie. killing off TOS characters or species. The technological differences are just sort of put up to the fact that the Constitution class under the hood is scary-advanced, Enterprise "Mirror Darkly" goes a long way of selling this.

The Klingon differences I think we're literally seeing it happen with Voq/Tyler. Which is a retcon ontop of the Augment Virus retcon but whatever. But I don't think you do a whole "Klingon that looks like a human!" plot and not tie it into the TOS Klingons / "We do not talk about it with outsiders"

The Spore Drive literally has a "Oh, by the way, it can blow up the universe" out so I'm pretty sure they shutter it at some point, kind of like how TNG got a Warp 5 Speed Limit.

Holograms, hey, you can see through them and it's just communication and not particularly solid / sentient like the TNG era.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    lets not forget the accident of discovery’s sister ship.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So happy closure-ish season finale or cliffhanger finale? I'm thinking happy closure-ish finale mostly cuz when they wrote it they probably didn't know they were getting a season 2. Cuz it was a weird streaming experiment. Still, it does kinda track with Star Trek's going for new distribution models, TNG was the first hour-long syndicated drama, VOY was one of UPN's big network shows.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    My guess is a nonsense twist that invalidates a lot of the story and characterization that came before.

Jedi Ben and darthOB1 like this.
  16. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    ^ right. Delving into alternate realities opens the door for anything including nonsense

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to not be the "Prime" universe, especially given the dire situation the Federation is in supposedly around the time the Enterprise was moseying around in "The Cage." But it would be a needless fake out that the show didn't need to hide from the audience, a reveal that would add nothing. After Lorca turning from a sort of anti-hero Starfleet character into a mustache-twirling villain who ended up being of little consequence, I'm ready for any unsatisfying twist and/or cliffhanger.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  18. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I really enjoyed the season finale, but the last minute was truly special.

[​IMG]

19. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I looooooooooved seeing Tilly step between Michael and Ash.
    She's a good friend.

20. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    The last minute had me beaming like the Cheshire Cat.

They didn't make the Enterprise ugly ^:)^ [face_dancing]!

Sarge, The2ndQuest , TX-20 and 2 others like this.
  21. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    A good character moment yes but I laughed so hard when she saluted the Empress

TX-20 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Low key finale but I liked it, actual talking as opposed to phaser-ing their way to victory (well, L'Rell basically having the Klingon homeworld on her finger is a bit messy) where the good ship Disco boggies their way with standing up for Starfleet morals (and Mirror Phillipa was savvy enough to keep her freedom although I did think for a moment Burnham was going to shoot her down). It does stick with a tradition of sometimes the higher-ups can be shifty and dark but our heroes do justice. Calling slight foul for Abrams-movie stealing from Burnham's speech in front of the Federation at the end. But for the spectacle, we got a hellova lot in the Mirror-verse final episode so this got to show off some Klingon street culture. And freakin' Clint Howard returns yet again! Commander Balok (well okay, not really he was playing a scummy Orion) and he was imbibing in intoxicants so it seems to be a running thing with Howard's Trek characters. The Orion green seemed a bit on the light side to me compared to how they've been shown but I can let it slide even though I wonder why they didn't go for the classic dark green.

Great performance stuff from Burnham and Tyler, their final goodbye was pretty emotional (I loved Martin-Green's recollection of her first meeting with the Klingons and Tyler saying that Klingons seeing a human who can speak it is like a dog on waterskis). So since the person running the Klingon Empire is the one who had a Klingon turned human I think that's a gateway to TOS Klingons (Augment Virus aside) And there was a lot of Tilly in this episode which I really enjoyed, although for about a second I thought Mirror Gorgiou had killer her by driving her nose bone into her brain but that didn't happen (I keep being convinced Tilly is going to die anytime cuz she's one of the ones I like the most)

So they went for the happy conclusion ending! I would barely call the last minute a cliffhanger, more of finally having Discovery share space with the Enterprise as a visual way to end the series (also the producers asking "can we get a season 2 please" mini-cliffhanger). I wonder if we'll see on the Enterprise and they'll take off from that moment, which could be great if they kept it as the Constitution class is establsihed, but I think it was more just for getting to see the Enterprise finally show up. Whatever Pike was sending out a distress signal could be the start of Season 2's big storyline, or they could wrap it up with two throwaway lines of dialogue. "Hey, remember when we helped Pike and Spock?" Recasting Spock (and Pike!) yet again would be really difficult, unless they can get the Bad Robot cast versions to show up cuz both Quinto and Greenwood are gold. Oh, and the sideways, concerned glance Burnham and Sarek did when they knew it was the Enterprise was grand. (oh and Sarek showing a wee bit of emotional voice cracking when talking to Burnham I thought spoke volumes too)

Yah, like I said, low key but I didn't mind.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Darth Caliban, TX-20 and seeker_two like this.
  23. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Why does the enterprise look so different?
    Specifically why are there two sets of implies engines?
    Canon retcon please......

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I enjoyed the season overall. Some really good things and some not great things. I could have done without the entire season coming down to "I have this big bomb that I'll blow you all up with if you don't do as I say." Ugh. It felt like they really ran out of steam and just needed the war to end quickly. The mirror universe ending felt like a better season finale. Although I'm not a fan of Mirror Lorca. A Federation captain suffering from PTSD is so much more complex and really had a lot of potential but they throw it away for... the evil twin twist. [face_sigh]

darthOB1 likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    high rez of the big E

[​IMG]

Darth Caliban and Juliet316 like this.