main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Just slay Snoke (slay Snoke)
    Kylo's weepin' (Ren is weepin')
    He gon' find you (Yeah he'll find you)
    Gon' catch you peepin (Lookin' at his chest)

H-BOMB and Darth_Duck like this.
  2. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I'm going to go into Solo: A Star Wars Story the same way I went into The Force Awakens, Rogue One and The Last Jedi, with an open mind clear of expectations and theories. It's why I enjoyed all three movies as an adult without these expectations and have no trouble with them.

To everyone, just go into the film with an open mind and you'll enjoy it more.

3. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    An open mind doesn't cure structural problems.

Sinrebirth , kalzeth and fett 4 like this.
  4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    [​IMG]
    You are exactly right. This is the attitude to take into every Star Wars experience. Fans today get so hung up on wanting a Star Wars film to meet their personal, often impossible list of expectations and demands that they're unable to just enjoy the movie for what it is. I wish more fans would bring an optimistic and less-critical mindset to their fandom - but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be direction things are going.

5. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    What's with your perceived *expectations* of fans?

6. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Just noticed something: TWI'LEKS!!!!
    Ultimately I have no faith in the alien diversity department, but at least this has one old species in a background role. TFA and TLJ couldn't have been worse.

kalzeth, AusStig and BobaMatt like this.
  7. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I wouldn't get too excited about that. I doubt he's playing a Kiffar. And if he is, I wouldn't get too excited about that either, because Quinlan isn't white, whereas Paul Bettany is the whitest white guy imaginable.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Most important part of the EW photo gallery: space wine!

10. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Well the role was originally filled by Michael K. Williams, but was recast when he couldn’t meet Ron Howard’s schedule.

11. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The Falcon looks too clean.

12. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    ]Even if he's a Kiffar, Vos is a "clan," and I don't know what the canon rules for what constitutes a Kiffar clan are.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Oh, we need to try some of this space wine

14. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    If I had to guess the falcon looks so nice probably because Lando owns it at the time, and it turns out he takes significantly better care of it than Han. After all, a man as stylish as Lando cant let himself be seen as flying around a hunk of junk.

15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    If that’s what a fresh off the line YT-1300 looks like, it’s absolutely understandable why Luke is so disgusted when he first sees the Falcon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revanfan1, BigAl6ft6, Vthuil and 10 others like this.
  16. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I think we've had our first canon mention of sabacc now. All is well.

17. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    We got that a long time ago ;) Even saw Lando playing it in Rebels.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  18. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Sabacc featured in an episode of Rebels. It's practically all Lando did in that episode. :lando:

Just like Han and Bria in Legends, I am 90% sure that the new Solo film will make Han bitter and cynical because of being heartbroken over Qi'ra. It's like the oldest trope in the book. And one thing I've learned from the new SW films, particularly 7 and 8, is that they rely on movie tropes to play it safe with their story, even forcing those tropes onto characters they don't fit on (bitter old man trope a la Clint Eastwood, Logan forced onto Luke Skywalker to the point Mark Hamill was shocked at first despite his regretting to bring his issues public later on).

It's why I'm so puzzled everyone says 8 was edgy--it used tropes from other movies to play it safe. Literally in a prequel when we see a girlfriend who is never brought up in the original work, and the original work protagonist is cynical and bitter, it's always about being heartbroken over prequel girlfriend. Even the 'Young Sherlock Holmes' movie went this route, in a huge departure from the Doyle books.

Even if Solo goes this route though, it might still be a good film. I want to see Han being forced into crime life though, not because he gets a kick out of making money from spice junkies.

kalzeth likes this.
  19. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Do you predict he's heartbroken because she dies, or that she will somehow betray him and then die? (I can't see them leaving her alive either way).

20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    That shot where she's in aristocratic clothes?

Qi'ra: I don't know this peasant. Send him to the spice mines of Kessel.
    Han: :_|
    Qi'ra: The wookiee slaves are rebelling? Wipe them out. All of them.
    (Qi'ra picks up a blaster and aims for Chewie)
    Han: NOOO!
    (Han slices off Qi'ra's hand with a vibroblade. Chewie rips her head off.)
    Han: What have I done??
    Chewie: RRRR! (You're fulfilling your destiny, Han).

TheRedBlade and unicorn like this.
  21. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Did you only watch, like, the first minute of the episode? He plays sabacc for literally the duration of the little teaser before the Rebels logo and that's it.

22. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It was a joke. Lando kept bringing up 'You want to settle this with sabacc' throughout the episode.

EDIT:

So now the new Alden interview by EW is out. In it, Alden says
    Lando and Han meet the first time in this movie. So presumably the earliest they meet is 11 BBY, when Han is 18. It's still better than Legends' 5 BBY I suppose, but I always thought when Han said he and Lando went way back in ESB, he meant literally way back as in elementary/primary school age. The way Vader and Kitster go way back.

Also, Alden hints that Chewie and Han's initial meeting isn't immediate trust at all. So it's a huge difference from Legends where Han spares Chewie on that ship, then later frees him from prison...

23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    The Mimban picture...is it just me, or do those Mudtroopers look a lot like Imperial Army Troopers?

I would be really pleasantly surprised if they brought those back.

kalzeth likes this.
  24. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I wouldn't say even in that case that "immediate trust" is how someone would react.

25. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016