main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion UPDATED: Game of Thrones Creators NOT to Write/Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    I woudn’t be surprised if at the beginning of Ep IX we find Rey and the last few remaining members of the Resistance in hiding on this world “Batuu”; which has been labelled as a remote outpost at the very edge of Wild Space. After all they were still on the run at the end of TLJ.

If the park is supposed to open to the public in 2019, there’s probably even time to use it as an actual filming location too. That would really cement it in Star Wars Canon.

Kole likes this.
  2. ChozenOne

ChozenOne Jedi Master

Sep 20, 2004
    They already have. He's General Veers in TESB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Merkurian and DARTH_BELO like this.
  3. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    The further adventures of General Veers. I'd watch it.

4. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I don't get the haters, Game of Thrones has only gotten BETTER as the seasons progress. Has it gotten a little bit more predictable? Yes, but it HAS to be, because you can't go killing off main characters when the show is about to end and there's about to be the final battles. You have to keep those characters alive to continue the story, so obviously it's more predictable but actually a better, more engaging show than ever. They are the best writers around.

This is AMAZING news, it's the best show on TV and their writers coming to the best film franchise in history. What's not to love? Wow this is Star Wars overload in the best possible way :D

5. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    I know legends is gone but would love to see three distinct time frames explored:
    1. TOTJ to KOTOR to TOR period
    2. Darth Bane/ Knight Errant time period (Darth Ruin too?)
    3. 100 years before the PT

All are very distinct and provide rich storytelling opportunities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Merkurian and Bowen like this.
  6. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I don’t think so. A lot of companies in different fields make announcements at strategic times generally around earning reports or shareholder meetings. It’s nothing out of he ordinary.

Pablo sort of hinter at that to the same extent suggesting they have other plans in motion however they just aren’t ready to be announced yet.

Satipo likes this.
  7. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    There is also speculation that either the fan bile spewed at RJ and KMT for example is one reason new hires have requested privacy, or that the announcement has been held off while the names in question finish up PR on their upcoming films without SW dominating the conversation. I guess we'll find out if there is any truth to that.

8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    If there's truth to those rumors, I would assume those directors are attached to the Benioff/Weiss films. Benioff and Weiss are only producing and writing, not directing. There are presumably 3+ films that need someone sitting behind the camera. The same goes for the second and third films in Johnson's trilogy, since I have a feeling he'll only be writing/directing the first and "showrunning" the rest, similar to the roll Benioff and Weiss will serve with their film.

9. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Unless there are new spin-offs we don't know about yet or these people will be showrunners on the TV shows, I guess.

10. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    At the least we’re getting five new movies not counting Solo and Ep.9 which is crazy!

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  11. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Nice! The Mark Lewis Jones connection blew my mind. It's interesting that the two Anthologies have been in the same vein even without Nina Gold.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  12. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I think it's great news. It's a marriage of my 2 favourite franchises coming together.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Skillzwalker and BadAcrobat like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Perhaps it is the next spinoff movie.

14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think TV show(s) would be more likely, but that's only due to naïveté on my part as to how many film projects they're willing to have in a state of announced development at one time.

15. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I feel like two films a year is only a short while away. There's no way they're going to make DB and DBW wait until 2022 to have their first film in their series made. That'd be ridiculous. Not only is that four years away, that's an even bigger time investment depending on how many films they're making. With sections to TLJ being quite negative, I think there's an interesting thread there to pursue concerning "more films means those that aren't loved have less effect".

Imagine if RJ's trilogy AND this new series are both actually universally disliked? It'd kill the franchise dead. They need new things to keep engagement during that time. Films about characters people love, mixed with new characters to drive new stories.

16. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Ranking all the films will be interesting.

The conclusion of GoT is next year, and D&D will also be working on Confederate afterward. I think a '22 release date for their first SW film is reasonable.

17. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Yes! This is the kind of Writer/Director choice that gets me real excited! Good job Disney. =D=

It's kind of strange though, that they have announced this new Star Wars movie Saga from Benioff and Weiss (as well as the new Trilogy from Johnson), before they have Officially announced the next standalone movie. Of course, these movies are seperate from the standalones, in that they are Sagas with continuing story lines; so it doesn't necessarily impact those movies. Yet I just hope that the lack of news about the next Star Wars standalone movie, doesn't mean that they have changed their mind about continuing them. I am still very much anticipating the Obi-Wan movie. [face_worried]

18. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    My thoughts exactly. Very well said.

19. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    This also happened with the Rian Johnson announcement.

Bob Iger makes statements at an Earnings Call. Where he talks about Disney's earnings and future income.
    It's part of answering the question "How are you going to make more money in the future?"

So he talks about Disney's streaming service and why people will watch it to see coming Star Wars TV series. And he talks up big deals for future movies.

It wasn't specifically about the Benioff movies, but that's what got us folk excited.

This is the full speech... Star Wars is just one little bit of it.
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/4143781-walt-disney-dis-q1-2018-results-earnings-call-transcript

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    "The Battle of the Bastards" to reclaim Winterfell in Season 6, Hardhome in Season 5, King's Landing at the end of Season 2, the Battle at the Wall in Season 4, the Lannisters vs. Targaryen's in Season 7. the expedition north of the Wall in Season 7,

I'm ready.

Jedi Merkurian and TX-20 like this.
  21. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    This announcement has me laughing a bit because I swear on these boards, I've heard users joke about wishing there could be a Game of Thrones like Star Wars or something, and I just laughed thinking, yeah ok, Disney is going to hire the Game of Thrones writers. Disney. No, that's not going to happen. They kind of surprised me with this one! Ha ha. I'm sure this doesn't mean some hard R rated Star Wars fare, though, but I hope it does mean a twisting series of movies where you're not honestly sure what's going to happen and it's a bit unpredictable. If they bring that kind of sensibility it just needs the right storyline.

I know any move will be criticized for some reason or another, which is kind of a shame to me as a fan because that's not my fandom type, I just am excited for new Star Wars and hope they're good, but what they are or when they're set makes no difference to me. That being said, I do wish they'd consider exploring either the Old Republic era or more Jedi in their prime eventually. There is a lot of cool material and I feel like if Disney does any of it, people will say they're pandering to fans. If Disney does entirely different things and never visits any of them (KOTOR, bounty hunters, Coruscant underworld kind of thing, etc.), fans will complain that Disney is missing out on opportunities. I guess that's the nature of the fan base at this point, just complain about everything :p LOL.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We have just posted a new rules and policy thread. Everyone should take a look:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...es-and-policies-thread-2018-edition.50048371/

This part in particular:

Make no mistake from here on out the staff here will be vigilant and absolutely unforgiving in its enforcement of this rule. Above all else these forums are meant to be a fun place to discuss Star Wars but for far too long they've been little more than a cesspool. No more. If you want to rant endlessly about how awful the films were or if you refuse to hear any kind of criticism about them I have only one thing to say... go get your own blog and post there. If you wish to engage in constructive conversation that remain respectful of one another then please stay. There is no middle ground. This is how it's going to be. To paraphrase a certain campaign slogan... We're Gonna Make the Forums Fun Again!

Jedi Merkurian , TX-20 and Satipo like this.
  23. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    I'm a bit confused here. I'm guessing that the GoT writers will be part of an upcoming TV Series? Apart from the RJ trilogy?

24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

Only thing is, we likely won't see any of that for another 4 years or even more.

Episode IX isn't out till 2019. So anything we see will be after that-which is two years already. Plus, they said they won't begin their new series till after GoT final season is completed-which remember it won't air until 2019 this time. Then even if they begin production IMMEDIATELY after, (which they may not), that means that the earliest the first film could come out in that list would likely be 2021. That's assuming they don't either take a break or decide to do another spinoff first after Episode IX-this is perhaps where an Obi-Wan spinoff could appear. Then there's RJ's trilogy. So unless both teams are making both new series simultaneously (which would be awesome), we may have to wait even LONGER for one of those.

I gotta say-that's too much time to wait. Somebody better get to work on something!!!!!!!! :cool: :p

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  25. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    No, not a TV series. It's going to be a movie series.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.