main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rank the Star Wars Films, TPM to The Last Jedi (Final Stats posted in Last Post)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 12, 2017.

?

Which Film is Your Favorite

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

10 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

9 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

42 vote(s)
    20.9%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

24 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

65 vote(s)
    32.3%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

13 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

9 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

21 vote(s)
    10.4%
  9. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

8 vote(s)
    4.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Still alive, just haven't had the time to join in the full-blown madness going on around here, and TLJ set off a bomb that will take quite some time to clear. Also just realised that Solo is due in May of this year, not around Xmas. Get ready...

Episode IX next year, then two more SW trilogies to come, one by TLJ's already controversial Rian Johnson, and another by none other than the notorious pair behind Game of Thrones, best known as D&D.

Did I mention madness?:p

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    J7Luke and Darkslayer like this.
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Madness is a great way to describe many things around here, including my state of mind.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am suprised TLJ is tied for 3rd.

TripleZero likes this.
  4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I'm not. It's new, it's got some magnificent fan-service going on, and it's just getting its share of applause before time and repeated viewings sends it down the ratings quick-smart. None other than Mark Hamill playing Luke Skywalker charges in and delivers his best performance since ESB (just as Harrison Ford did as Han in TFA). It's pretty irresistable as a result.

Time will tell, though. I thought AOTC was great the first time I saw it, certain elements were an antidote to what I didn't like about TPM. Since then, however, I've come to appreciate TPM's merits and now regard AOTC as the dullest, most poorly written and under-done SW film of the lot, despite it having some of my favourite moments overall.

5. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree. When I first saw TLJ, I really liked it. But with repeated viewings and some time to think about it, I am no longer as high on the film. I wonder if being exposed to different opinions on these boards are starting to shape my opinion.

lookameatbag and heels1785 like this.
  6. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    I agree with you. I would even go as far to say that Mark Hamill's performance as the jaded and forlorn Luke Skywalker is the greatest in the series so far.

Sorry Sir Alec Guinness!

Iuke, J7Luke and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I agree his performance was amazing!

Darkslayer likes this.
  8. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    Everyone loved TFA at first, but thankfully opinions seemed to have soured on it. I think TLJ will be even more reviled in time. I know it's not realistic, but everyone should wait to rank the saga at least a year after a new film comes out.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  9. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Wait, what? How is people not liking a movie a good thing? Especially when we're STAR WARS fans, talking on a STAR WARS forum, about a STAR WARS movie.

10. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014
    Personally, I feel that film ruined any chance of the ST being something extraordinary, but I'm sorry I included that little jab if it offended you.

11. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    That wasn't my point though.

What do you gain by people disliking The Force Awakens? Hell, what do you gain by people disliking The Last Jedi besides some sense of vindication that your opinion is the "correct" opinion?

12. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014
    Because I'd rather people not endorse what amounts to a glib facsimile. I think Star Wars is better than that. I'm glad TLJ aspired for more, but at the same time it was a failure for not cohering with TFA.

13. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    You probably want to appologize to me, as that line comes very close to being baiting.

14. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Even if it's the support of those very people that keeps Star Wars movies being made?

15. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014
    No, I'm okay.

16. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    No. you are not. See you in the Unban Request Forum. @anakinfansince1983

17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Edit: Moved to PM

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  18. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I just group them in tiers. For me this is more fair and allows for some movement:

Tier 1 - EPIC: TLJ, ANH,TESB and R1
    Tier 2 - Awesome: TFA, RotJ and RotS

Tier 3 - Excellent: AotC and TPM

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  19. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    For me it's quality over quantity, always. So what if they keep making SW movies with deteriorating quality? I don't see any benefit in hardcore fans without questioning supporting ANYTHING with the name "Star Wars" on it, regardless of quality. The best that can be said of TFA is that it's mediocre, IMHO. Does anyone even find it "great" or "brilliant" nowadays anymore? If a particular episode gets some constructive criticism chances are higher that the next installment will be better.
    My rating is partially also in "tiers":
    1. ANH, AOTC, ROTS
    2. ESB
    3. ROTJ, TPM, R1
    4. TFA

Wait, hasn't there been a similar kind of poll here recently?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Visivious Drakarn likes this.
  20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Yeah.

I do.

21. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    1.) Star Wars Episodes I-VI
    2.) Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    3.) Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
    4.) Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

I don't dislike any of the films. I-VI are in inseparable unit to me, one cohesive, complete story. I never felt the need for any films set after the perfect conclusion of RotJ but I do like TFA and TLJ quite a bit as well, despite some inherent problems I may have with the concept of a Sequel Trilogy and the films themselves.

22. KnightOfRen66

KnightOfRen66 Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2017
    1. empire strikes back(because of the fight scene between luke and vader, all of the character interactions, and just everything)
    2 a new hope(because it started it all and is very fun to watch)
    3. TLJ(i think all of the risks it takes definitely work. killing luke was questionable. but killing snoke and using him as a stepping stone to kylos final decision to embrace the dark was great. plus that praetorein guard scene. rose and finn were pointless. kylo, rey, and luke were all awesome. poe was pretty awesome)
    4. ROTJ( the throne room scene is classic. the fight with luke and vader is good though not as great as ESB. loved the battle on endor)
    5. TFA(it was a pretty solid movie but depended a lot to much on being the same as the OT. practical effects were great. new characters were all great. killing han was cool. death star 3.0 was dumb)
    6. ROTS( to much CGI, ewan mcgregar and ian mcdermot still rule. order 66 and anakin killing the seperatist suck was awesome. but the fight between obi won and vader was so dumb. why did it have to basically be a trapezze w/ lightsaber tricks? why couldn't it have just been a fight on the shore of the lava ocean? it could of had the same emotion, been a raw fight like the ones in ESB and ROTJ, and been awesome.)
    7. TPM(we definitely did not need to see anakin's childhood and it was just so pointless. but it had decent effects and ewan mcgregor is still awesome.
    8. AOTC(literal garbage in every way not going to even waste my time explaining why because itll be full of hate)

23. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    1. TESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ
    4. TLJ
    5. TFA
    6. RO
    7. AOTC
    8. TPM
    9. ROTS

24. SomeLoser

SomeLoser Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 11, 2018
    1. ESB
    2. ROTS/ROTJ
    3.TLJ/TFA
    4. TPM
    5. AOTC
    6. RO

Note, I actually like every Star Wars film, Rogue One is just the one I've felt the need to rewatch the least.

25. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Revenge of the Sith
    The Last Jedi
    A New Hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    The Phantom Menace
    Return of the Jedi
    The Force Awakens
    Rogue One
    Clone Wars