main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We have just posted a new rules and policy thread. Everyone should take a look:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...es-and-policies-thread-2018-edition.50048371/

This part in particular:

Make no mistake from here on out the staff here will be vigilant and absolutely unforgiving in its enforcement of this rule. Above all else these forums are meant to be a fun place to discuss Star Wars but for far too long they've been little more than a cesspool. No more. If you want to rant endlessly about how awful the films were or if you refuse to hear any kind of criticism about them I have only one thing to say... go get your own blog and post there. If you wish to engage in constructive conversation that remain respectful of one another then please stay. There is no middle ground. This is how it's going to be. To paraphrase a certain campaign slogan... We're Gonna Make the Forums Fun Again!

2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It would be IF she knows that she is in the Skywalker saga in the Star Wars sequel trilogy and is being told she has no part in this story. Ren is actually largely correct as her importance is fairly minimal.

As for collaboration I really see very little. TLJ spent it's time undermining so many things in TFA that it's hard to see any agreement between JJ and RJ. It's like KK really didn't like TFA very much so when RJ said to her "We can rip it apart." and she said yes.

When even the simplest of continuities with Luke is completely disconnected that says far more than anything else could.

Anyway these threads get confusing so as this is the Rey in IX I have no idea what they will do. One supposes she will be a Jedi Knight if not Master. Possibly Luke will Knight her at some point in the movie or an entire Jedi Council of ghosts.

There has to be some sort of passing down from the previous Jedi in some ceremonial way at least one would think.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Rodie and Shadao like this.
  3. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I thought RJ mentioned reducing the Force elitism was a good thing. It wasn't the primary reason for Rey's parentage as given in TLJ, but it was a motivator? Also, the main reason was for drama/ the story and what would be most difficult for Rey. Shouldn't that be the main reason (the story and the character) regardless of the answer?

Lost_Hope likes this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That's if one agrees with the narrative that there was such a thing as "Force elitism", or that the reveal of Rey's parents being "nobody" was particularly dramatic. I disagree with both of those points. Rian made the film he believed in, and that's the way it should be. But, if one disagrees with his point of view then no amount of quotes from him will make it work better for them. I found the Rey reveal anticlimactic and uninteresting. If she's truly a "nobody" then I don't think it should have been presented as a mystery. Just reveal it right up front and move on with her story.

wobbits, ChildOfWinds, Shadao and 3 others like this.
  5. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    In my head canon Rey is the Chosen One. She is the reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker. It is the only way the ST make sense to me. It explains why she is strong in the Force, why she is such a great pilot. She is there to complete Anakin's mission. Anakin destroyed the Sith, but the Force was still not in balance as the Jedi had been wiped out. The Chosen One is back to put the Force back in to balance. Rey may not ever realise it, JJ may not realise it, Disney or LFL may not even realise it, but Rey is the reincarnation of Anakin. It's the theory I like best.

6. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    And yet TLJ was the most Skywalker heavy movie since ROTJ.

And Rey's awakening happened bcoz a Skywalker unbalanced the force.

Its truly a wonder what they say and what they show in the movie are kinda different things.

7. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    I really dont think she is.

Besides Anakin DID bring balance to the force by destroying the sith.

Luke said it in the movie when he was telling Rey about the failures of the jedi.

But Kylo unbalanced the force, thats why the force literally intervened and awakened in Rey.

She is force's answer to Kylo.

Thats why she is SO powerful without any training.

8. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    But the point of the Sith being destroyed was to bring about permanent balance - and it would have been had the Jedi still been around. The balance that Anakin achieved was temporary, not even 30 years. I don't think an ancient prophecy would have made such a big deal out of anything so inconsequential. Official canon says that Rey came about to counter Kylo and that's true, but I see no reason why she couldn't be Anakin too. His lightsaber did call to her after all. I doubt this theory will be confirmed in Ep IX, so unless Anakin's force ghost turns up or it's contradicted in any other way, then as far as I'm concerned, she's the Chosen One reborn.

9. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    Anakin's saber didnt call to her, force did.

She is chosen by the force to stop Kylo but i dont think she is chosen one reborn.

Actually if anything, Kylo could be Anakin reborn .
    He was conceived the night Vader died.

And Anakin and Kylo are very similar; and they are paralleling them too much.

10. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    A little brain fart of mine is wondering if Rey ends up killing Kylo at the end of ep IX and the force goes back to sleep... ergo she loses her force abilities which would signify balance being achieved.

Interesting butI doubt it would happen especially after the broom boy scene.

11. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Force elitism is the idea that only Skywalkers can be the most Force-important figures in the galaxy. Star Wars itself never said this, but fans did, to the extent of not believing Rey can be as powerful and/or significant in the Force as characters like Anakin, Luke or Kylo, unless she is related to them. By having Rey unrelated to them it sets a clear precedent about the Force. The Force doesn't manifest in people only per bloodline and it can produce these Force power houses in anyone at any time. The key figure(s) in the Force or fate of the galaxy can be anyone.

The matter of how the trilogy delivered Rey's character and her origins is separate from this. I'm inclined to feel like it should have established her backstory in TFA more. (That wouldn't have prevented fans from thinking she must be a Skywalker though.)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  12. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    My thoughts exactly. Not even debating the lightsaber toss...The fact that RJ re-shot JJ's beautiful ending from TFA and changed the pacing and the actor's expressions/emotions shown in the scene is middle finger enough to JJ to show me that they didn't see eye to eye on how the story should move forward. RJ could have used alternate angles/takes or some of the same shots even in his Luke/Rey meeting scene in TLJ instead of redoing the entire thing...
    Sure they play nice in the media because they are gentleman and maybe even enjoy each other's company socially, but in terms of the story it's obvious RJ and JJ did not agree.

It's like RJ went out of his way to contradict and change the characters JJ established in his story, or re-introduce themes like Rey's obsessing over her parents that were already resolved at the end of TFA) just because he had the power to do so.

ChildOfWinds and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  13. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Also it would have helped if she'd expressed ANY concern about her parents being "important" before this film, which she did not.

ChildOfWinds, 11-4D and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  14. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I couldn't help but cringe when she asked the magic mirror "Show me my parents." That sequence was so long, ended up meaning nothing, and it was a question that both she'd emotionally let go of at the end of TFA and was also brought up again by Kylo TWICE later in TLJ.

Beating a dead horse and wasting time...

There could have been something much more interesting with a Force vision or Dark Side temptation in TLJ...

I'm hoping JJ brings moments to IX that allow Rey to progress and grow as a character instead of re-treading the same ground.

15. Eeyore freak

Eeyore freak Jedi Knight star 2

May 19, 2016
    Yeah that “show me my parents” part was totally there to tease the audience. No way a shadow of a tall man and short woman that kind of looks like Han and Leia was an accident.

11-4D and MrElculver2424 like this.
  16. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    I agree 100%. Rey said her parents were no one. That's the answer and now she, and we she move on. I think the chance that JJ makes her a Skywalker/Kenobi/Solo/Palpatine is 0.01%.

17. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
    What? You really think they were teasing people and that the shadows looked like Han & Leia?? The shadows looked like... shadows (except for the one that morphed into Kylo's head, see inspiration from the Art of TLJ book here; [​IMG]). And it's not unusual for the male part of a couple to be taller than the female part, Anakin was taller than Padmé but they certainly aren't Rey's parents (or grandparents for that matter).

18. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    They're not going to be a couple so that idea can end now.

19. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
    Uh, excuse me but the point I was making was that the shadows OF HER PARENTS weren't Han & Leia, so what you're insinuating 'can end now'.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    No shutting down discussion, please. None of us knows for sure how things are going to go.

Lost_Hope, Yora, Birkendoc and 2 others like this.
  21. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Which we already established with all of the Jedi pre-Anakin. Again it's doing the same old same old, but pretending like it's some "new and grand" revelation, which it's not.

22. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    I agree.

But the thing is Rey has no conflicts and struggles other than that.

She had no conflict with Snoke, Hux, FO etc.

Her conflict with Kylo ended bcoz he didnt want to kill her.

And for some reason they dont want to show Rey tempted by the dark side.

Maybe bcoz it will ruin her "role model for little girls" image.

I dont think JJ will or can do any better.

What will he show Rey is conflicted about?

She is not tempted by the dark side AT ALL.

She is already a jedi without any training.

She has already defeated Kylo.

Yoda said she already have everything she needs.
    So i doubt FG Luke or Yoda will teach her anything.

I think in 9 she will create her new lightsaber on her own.

And will start a new jedi order by reading text books.

And while she's at it she will save the galaxy too.

So what will be her struggles or conflicts now ?

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  23. Eeyore freak

Eeyore freak Jedi Knight star 2

May 19, 2016
    I’ll have to watch it again but the woman looked like Leia to me. I wasn’t the only one in my group who thought that either.

24. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    tell that to all those who insisted Rey has to be a Skywalker.

hermiona52 and Lost_Hope like this.
  25. kessel-kid

kessel-kid Jedi Master

May 25, 2002
    At this point in time (almost 2 years out) it feels safe to say 9 is going to return to Rey vs Ren in a pretty heavy way. Rey and Ren's arcs will only be settled, and defined within the interaction between themselves, and not the other characters. (Especially with no Leia :_|) If IX only offers a final meeting at the end of the film with some dialogue as pretext, it wouldn't suffice—not after what has been built up between them anyway.

One semi-related thought: I was thinking about the film's commentary on the past....the 'let the past die' notion. What if Rey is from the past? Maybe Rey is the very first Jedi to have ever lived, re-personified by the force to restart the Jedi order? I mean Colin Trevorrow said the reveal of the character's origin made Daisly Ridley cry, so it has to be an origin of deeper meaning than a bloodline. (Obviously I'm not buying into what Kylo was selling Rey.)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.