main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Game of Thrones Creators to [no longer] Write and Produce a New Series of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    They seem to be pretty good writers, but they arn't revolutionary.

2. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I can't wait for the day they announce Bryan Fuller is leaving a project he was developing. I'll be excited when they announce Bryan Fuller is doing something, and I'll be excited by the news coming out about it, but we all know the true joy of a Bryan Fuller project these days is wondering how Bryan Fuller would've done it had he still been involved.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Jedi Princess and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    The number of times I just read:

used (presumably) unironically is staggering.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I Was less leaning towards Star Wars Sex Scenes and more the intricate clockwork spectacle of Game of Thrones particularly in the later seasons which little badass grace notes in the chaos. Like basically Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards or Spoils of War loot train attack. With blasters and lightsabers.

while everyone, myself included, immediately thought that Johnson's trilogy would be Knights of the Old Republic but, if you get the Game of Thrones guys who do medieval fantasy magic stuff, then I think the odds of them going Game of Thrones on an Old Republic where Jedi and Sith were numerous actually goes up.

5. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    It was used as the common designation for a nondiscriminatory hiring practice.

If you’re going to quote a small segment of a 5 paragraph post, could you at least include the quotation marks you so conveniently removed. Or at least the second half of the sentence: “regardless of race, or sex”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

revan772 and Outsourced like this.
  6. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    When you consider things like air support, artillery, I don't think Star Wars can have a Battle of the Bastards. Introduce Turkish cannons or Chinese fire lances and, and all thoes battle are irrevocably changed.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This is true but let's just say, since it's the Game of Thrones guys, we're talking more armies of lightsaber wielding darksiders and lightsiders running at each other without the air support / artillery. Which I know is a part of KOTR but there be ways around it. If it is KOTR. (PS - c'mon, it totally is, they got Game of Thrones people on it, executives usually go "Oh, they made that thing, have them make that thing but in our universe.")

Also the last few hirings, Ron Howard, JJ again, Johnson again and GoT guys, looks like Kennedy and LFL is leaning less towards "One indie, one mainstream hit" pattern of the early Kennedy ones and more for slightly more established talents.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Fallen Jedi Master likes this.
  8. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    To be clear, I take issue with the way in which you inserted a needlessly gendered cliché into a discussion about diversity. Notice that @bizzbizz, to whom @nancipants was replying, used the word "person" instead of "man."

And though it's true that I shouldn't have clipped the quotation marks (my bad), the repetition of masculine personal and possessive pronouns in your post only underlines the implication of a male-as-norm bias.

And now, since I'm a dude, I'm going to go ahead and step back since I've probably strayed into the realm of mansplainin'.

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...that he doesn't think it's good art?

10. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    Fair enough. My pronoun usage could have been more inclusive, and in a formal debate probably would have been.

11. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I kinda felt like Star Wars was in dangerous over-saturation territory with the spinoff films and saga films in between, now its beyond overkill. I wish the franchise would just slow down, as ridiculous as it sounds...I feel like there is too much Star Wars going on. And I'm someone who doesn't tire of Marvel movies and television. I just want Episode movies with a slew of books and comics to read with the occasional video game, cartoon and/or live-action series. The amount of projects coming seem to be too much. Mixing GOT talent with Star Wars also seems troubling.

But keep in mind I'm one of those who are not excited by the idea of anthology films, Rogue One was merely okay and I'm not excited about Solo. I feel like a bad fan.

12. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    I say let them develop their concepts and if they turn out bad trust Disney and Kathleen Kennedy to scrape it if its not a good fit for the Star Wars Universe.

BigAl6ft6 and kalzeth like this.
  13. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    Of the complete same view. Keep it to the movies, marvel comics, del Rae books. And the short stories that come out at the back of Del Rey books. Way to much stuff, much of it being different variations of adaptions.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    My sister works in Hollywood as one of those artist/modeler/animator folks, and when they put together a team to animate a game, show, ad, whatever, she's usually the only or one of the only women on the team. And often the team is brought in to make design decisions, and her opinions are usually ruled out because they have to do with downsizing the boob armor or having more than one female background character in a scene, etc etc. Little things like that. They make excuses that sometimes sound logical, like more guys would be watching this action thing (movie/game/ad/etc), so they need to cater to their audience. It's hard to argue with that.

The thing is, this is circular logic and it's dominated the movie/game/Hollywood industry since forever. "Best person" is the person who can cater to the "safe" audience of white dudes. Cuz the ones calling the shots are that demographic.

15. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    I'm very excited to see them expand Star Wars. What's not to love here? The writers of one of pay televisions most beloved series contributing stories to Star Wars!

It is a great time to be a Star Wars fan!

16. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    That makes perfect sense but I honestly wasn’t meaning it in a bad way I just want the best writers or directors involved in the Star Wars universe.

17. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    It's just frustrating -- and curious -- when "the best person for the job" always seems to be a white man.

18. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I think it's equally possible that these guys came in with a pitch for their series, which means it could be completely unlike anything they've done before.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Pretty much all the major battle episodes on GOT are directed by Neil Marshall or Miguel Sapochnik, and I know Marshall at least had a lot of input on planning the episode as well, so hopefully they manage to get those guys to come back and work with them again.

Alan Taylor doesn't seem to have had a good experience the last time he directed one of Disney's subsidiary-studio space movies, so I imagine that's one GOT director who probably won't return.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Miguel Sapochnik's involvement in the upcoming Conan series on Amazon is the only reason I'm feeling even cautious optimism as far as that project is concerned.

21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...wait, what?

22. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I'll just say again. Star Wars fans just got too used to the introverted ways of the man who was running things before.

23. For now I will be careful
    My wounded as a fan is still badly damaged after The Last Jedi
    If this new product is good, they will count on me

But I'm not too excited either

24. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    You’re not a bad fan and you should never say that [face_shame_on_you]

You can like or dislike whatever you want regardless of what me or anyone else on here thinks of it

TBH I think you are right and you should sure as hell not be guilted into liking a corporations cynical plan to make more money, just because it has a Starwars label slapped on it and they calculate it well sell no matter what

25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005