main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Plot Holes In The ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zackm, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    Even with out the force firing the MF turrets doesn't seem like a hard thing to do. Luke did it on his first try, Finn did it on his second time ever firing from a ship so I see no reason why Rey would have trouble firing.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I can do it. You sit on it, aim and push the button.

Takes 2 minutes to learn by how much you need to lead the target, and by the way, it uses super fast lasers, making everything much more easier than bullets in real life.

Winds do no affect lasers.... it is a piece of cake. Not rocket science.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Vicarious Fan likes this.
  3. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    You guys are still going on about the plot hole with the breaker room?

Let's put this in perspective. They have to find the specific breaker, because if they flip/pull the wrong one, then that whole idea of the FO not knowing there's a problem for six minutes falls apart. So you have to get the exact one right. Let's say you work in a medium 20,000 SF manufacturing facility and you want to flip the switch that just turns off your boss' computer which for some reason has its own dedicated circuit (because he has the Class A CPU). You'd walk into something like this
    [​IMG]
    It would probably be two to three walkways like that (essentially an M shaped walkway in a dedicated room). You'd have to go find the right switch in a room full of switches.

Now Snoke's ship is going to be thousands of times larger and more complex than a simple manufacturing facility. So now you probably have a room of switches equivalent to the entire 20,000 SF facility.

You can't say that their tech is better and therefore maybe they reduced the switches because that is the exact opposite reason of having breaker switches. To isolate overloads into a single circuit as opposed to all 200,000 or so that something like Snoke's ship would have.

Now if Finn actually knew about the hyperspace tracking and was part of the engineering/installation team, he'd have a better chance, but they went the exact opposite way (mopping up are electrical breakers no less).

Then we have the other problem of needing to crack the door code to get into the room, while the F.O. somehow just went in through a different door. What? Horrible writing again. Instead of making all about Nazi BB-8 spotting them (and deducing their destination before they even got there), just make the important breaker room have a security detail.

This was already a confirmed plot hole earlier in the thread. The only argument against it not being a plot hole was actually "I don't care".

-LordSkywalker- and Xander Vos like this.
  4. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    That’s not actually the only argument. The principal argument against this sort of analysis is that the world in which the film is set is unambiguously not interested in this stuff, and doesn’t expect the audience to be. It’s like claiming that a plot hole in the Wizard Of Oz is the sheer unlikeliness of it being economically sound to use yellow pigment in bricks.
    The film sets up the “breaker” issue as a simple issue, negating any real world knowledge about breakers that you may have. The “unlikeliness” that this could be remotely possible can be a complaint about the film, sure, if you care about accurate representation of the complexity of circuit breakers, but it is in no way a “plot hole” because, again, a “plot hole” requires two plot points to be irreconcilable with each other within the context of the film. If the *film* gave us a five minute lesson in the sheer complexity of circuit breakers in the GFFA, yoyu’d have a plothole. What you have, is a nitpick.

It’s all there, right up front, in every film:
    “A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...”; it’s part of the furniture so much that it’s easy to forget its there, but you can’t see those words at the start of the film and still be imposing real world knowledge about circuit breakers to expose “plot holes” when the film itself doesn’t say anything about its version of circuit breakers that stops the plot making sense.

As an aside, I re-read this post to check for facetiousness, especially in regard to the wizard of oz, and I tried reversing it; I imagined I was in a Wizard of Oz forum, with the yellow brick road being debated, and the point works the same way: if I said on a WoO forum “it’s like claiming that circuit breakers in Star Wars are supposed to work exactly like real world circuit breakers, with comparable technology and integration, and saying that made a plot hole”, the analogy would work in reverse, too - people who weren’t zeroing in on Star Wars to an unrealistic degree would accept that genre contains inherent allowance for technobabble and tech that fits the story

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  5. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Still going on about the circuit breaker?

I guess if it's a deal breaker for someone, nothing anyone can say is going to turn that around. Likewise, it's not likely anyone OK with the circuit breaker stuff is sudden;y going to find it breaks the plot.

Xander Vos, Ricardo Funes and CEB like this.
  6. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Any quality break room will have clearly labelled breakers. That's Breaker Room 101. All Finn and Rose have to do is find the breaker labelled "Hyperspace Tracker."

Solved. Not a plot hole.

Ricardo Funes and Vicarious Fan like this.
  7. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I don't think there was a breaker room labelled "Hyperspace Tracker". That doesn't quite explain why Finn thought Hyperspace tracking was impossible if he used to mop the floor of that room/area.

Plus they seemed to know exactly where the tracker was located even before boarding from the Supremacy blueprints they somehow had with them.

Xander Vos and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Because he only knows what to look for once Rose has explained what kind of circuit breaker would be necessary for that kind of tech.

9. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    Rose doesn't explain what circuit breaker is. They both reach the same conclusion at the same time - every A-class process has a dedicated breaker - but that conclusion doesn't follow up from there, as next thing we see is them talking specifically about the tracker room as if they had figured out its location behind scenes.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  10. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Finn would know where to find the dedicated breaker is the assumption. He's not thinking along those lines until Rose has spoken with him. Then, yes, we cut to them going through the plan and we can assume there has been more figuring out of the exact location offscreen - we don't need to see the details of that because it would be dull.

redxavier and Ricardo Funes like this.
  11. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Can you post dialog?

12. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    Okay, I found the dialogue here.

Cannot be 100% sure if this is accurate, but I think it is, because it matches what I have from my memory.

-LordSkywalker- and Satipo like this.
  13. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    So they're still talking about shutting the tracker down by cutting the power via the breaker, right?

Satipo likes this.
  14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    If that's the dialogue, that seems pretty fair to me.

15. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    The dialogue you just posted contradicts your point; Finn knows where the breaker room is, that point only becomes relevant once they’re discussing the tech surrounding tracking.

Xander Vos, Ricardo Funes and Satipo like this.
  16. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    It seems like 85% of the things discussed in this thread belongs in the TLJ clarification thread.

17. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    I posted this a while ago here, but at first I thought they were going to shut down the power generator or something of the Supremacy by disabling some general breaker room. But they don’t bring up breaker rooms again, they immediately switch to talking specifically about the tracker room, and in the VD the place they go is also labeled as the tracker room, not some general breaker room. It also wouldn’t make sense why a tracker room and a breaker room would be the same thing.

I also think it’s a problem of either dialogue construction or editing which may have resulted in missing info. The dialogue strongly implies there a breaker room dedicated to a A-class process, not there is a breaker room for all A-class processes.

Xander Vos and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  18. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Exactly. He's not thinking about what he'd need to even look for until he talks with Rose and she tells him it would be like active tracking. Calavera - I think the assumption would be that offscreen, in the time it takes them to get the schematics of the Supremacy up, Finn and Rose and maybe even Poe have talked more about exactly where the breaker would be. Esssentially, Finn has knowledge of the Supremacy. Rose knew what tech to look for. Between them they know enough to figure it out.

19. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    When the analysis is more convoluted and hard to understand than the film, it’s fair to say the film works...

20. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    This is a classic case of overthinking to the extent of creating a problem where none exists.

21. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    :rolleyes:

Which is why we had people here is thread thinking a breaker room was labelled with "Hyperspace Tracker" for them to able to find it, or assuming that Rose explained what kind of circuit breaker room was necessary for that kind of tech? Because the movie made it all clear, right?

Fine, have it your way.

22. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Honestly, what you’re saying in that post makes less sense than the film does.

23. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    People are going back off their memory for a film they haven't seen in three weeks. Once you posted the dialogue it was clear.

CEB likes this.
  24. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Every A-class process has a dedicated breaker. A breaker room is a room where breakers are located. The dedicated breaker for the tracker is located in the breaker room. I'm actually not sure what point you're trying to make anymore.

Also, my post saying the breaker would have a label saying "Hyperspace Tracker" was facetious. I was poking fun at the analysis of how big the breaker room be.

Ricardo Funes and Satipo like this.
  25. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    But that’s the issue – the place where they went is the tracker room. It’s called the Tracker room. What they were trying to disable is the tracker. They didn’t go there to specifically look for the breaker associated with the tracker.

Finn even states, “the tracker is right behind this door” – despite not knowing what a hyperspace tracer looks like, he just for some reason knows that that was the room in which he tracker was located. Never once the plot makes it clear that what they are doing is disabling a breaker associated with the tracker.

We can assume that all complex machinery employed for every A-class process is also conveniently located in the same exact room, but that should eliminate the confusing dialogue lines about dedicated breaker rooms that had no connection with what followed up. Finn could’ve simply stated “well, I know where all the big machinery is located, so we just go there.”