main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    I think Kirak Infil’a taking the Barash vow would fall under that category.

I don’t have my copy of the comic on hand, but I think he still considered himself a Jedi in spite of having forsworn all contact with the Order.

Vialco likes this.
  2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    A good example but perhaps oversimplified. Kirak didn't exactly walk away from the Order so much as go into self-imposed exile.

[​IMG]

Barash is very much a Jedi tradition.

[​IMG]

Note that Kirak still refers to himself as a Jedi and the Temple Archives have him listed as a member of the Order. He didn't walk away like Dooku and Ahsoka did. Moreover, the fact that he willingly went into exile as penance for some unspecified crime suggests a full respect for the rules and traditions of the Jedi Order.

Slater, Gamiel, BobaMatt and 4 others like this.
  3. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Great counterargument! You’re absolutely right.

BobaMatt and Vialco like this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it was Kyle Katarn that set the trend, with his "Light and dark side are just tools" idea.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    But that's a problem of taking video game mechanics literally when adapting the character to other media. Which never should have happened, since that whole idea is just terrifying. Randian objectivism should remain the realm of Star Wars villains, not heroes.

Ghost and Gamiel like this.
  6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's more the territory of "neutrals" - those who reject both altruism and "exploitation of others".

Neither Jedi nor Sith, but "mercenary with a conscience" .

7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Sadly, Randian objectivism is the realm of real-life villains.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The strong "do not exploit people, abuse people, cheat people, etc" theme in at least some Randian writings, does make it seem like out-and-out villainy isn't really compatible.

A person claiming to be "Randian" who abuses others, doesn't really fit the concept.

That's why I say that, followed honestly - it's more "Neutral" because it says "Don't be evil" - but also "Don't be good (Don't make personal sacrifices)".

9. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    You're right. I said villains when I should have merely said "jerks".

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Star Wars equivalent, would be the Trade Federation before it became corrupt, or Mandalorians during times when they are not conquerors but hirelings.

As written by Traviss, the nicer Mandalorians (still a long way from being nice full stop) come across as pretty Randian.

Jedi Knight Fett and kalzeth like this.
  11. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    However, things like defining "altruism" as acting like a doormat all the time and "mercy" as unearned forgiveness are atrociously deleterious. And don't get me started on how this whole "philosophy" isn't even internally consistent or, ironically, how following it actually prevents you from attaining its purported goal. Let's not even mentin the weird anti-scientific views and other bizarre positions on arts, sexuality, and international relations. Objectivism is a joke.

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    While I agree with every word you say... I'd like to avoid the off-chance of this turning into some kind of full-fledged philosophical debate by pointing out that this has completely diverged from the original point about how the whole "guy who zaps people with lightning but is still totes nonevil" thing doesn't really make sense in Star Wars.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Some of the definitions were a bit weird.

Others though - went back to the original basic idea. "To be an ideal person, you must live for others, not yourself" is what altruism originally meant - it's just that over time, this definition has gotten watered down a bit.

"To be good requires that you be self-sacrificing" is still commonly used though.

And, in a Star Wars context, the Jedi are defined as being "classic altruistic" "We are pledged to selfless service" by at least some authors. Matt Stover has Mace Windu say that, for example.

Legends Plo Koon? Only he calls it "Electric Judgement".

14. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes, sorry. I really don't want to take the thread off-tracks, but I couldn't resist. Objectivism (even the name is pretentious!) is one of my pet peeves, and it always gets me started.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think we can agree that in a Star Wars context, it's fundamentally anti-Jedi-way - even if it's not Sith.

The difference being that it would treat the Jedi as victims of the Republic's exploitation rather than as enemies.

16. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    "Electric Judgment" may genuinely have been one of the most embarrassing concepts Legends ever came up with. Good grief.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think, like Kyle Katarn's "philosophy" it's another computer game derivative - possibly from Jedi Power Battles where you can play as him? It was later, that it actually got a "actually used by him" story, in Jedi vs Sith Essential Guide to the Force.

18. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So less than a week before the start of the last part of the final season. Where is everyone at?

Hera - captured by Rukh & Governor Pryce
    Kanan - meets up with Mart and Chopper and head back to the rebel's hideout on Lothal
    Loth-Wolves - around
    Ezra, Zeb, Sabine, Jai Kell, Ryder - back at the hideout
    Thrawn - on the bridge of the Chimaera outside of Lothal
    Ahsoka - ???

Am I missing anything?

19. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Of people we know will be appearing, Kallus and Rex are still on the Ghost back with the main Rebellion. Curiously, though, Rex's old war buddies have not appeared since the start of Season 2, so I'm a little curious how exactly they're going to get involved.

20. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Mon Mothma clearly isn't going to authorize reinforcements, so Kallus and Rex will pick up Wolfe and Gregor to do their own thing. Odds are that Hondo is in the same detention facility as Hera, so they bust him out with her for the extra man- er, weequaypower.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  21. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  22. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Oh come on, ghost Yoda just recanonized Electric Judgment remember? The only thing that the Legends Jedi got wrong was that they missed the note it was supposed to be used on trees, not people.

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Poor Ood B'nar.

sidv88 and The_Forgotten_Jedi like this.
  24. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  25. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I know you're likely being facetious but I think there's a clear difference between Yoda channeling the natural power of the storm on Ach-To and the unnatural lightning that Dark Siders wield.