main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What do you do with your books comics when you finish them ?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by lordpixie, Feb 6, 2018.

1. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Do you give or lend them to friends,family or give them to charity or do you do like i do and collect them and treat them like gollum and the one ring?

2. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I keep them only if they are worth reading again, which means I give away most of them to the library or comic book store.:p

3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'll lend them to friends if I think anyone will be interested in reading them, but for the most part, I have a large number of cardboard boxes packed up with old books and comics (not just SW) that I don't feel the need to reread again anytime soon, but don't want to get rid of.

4. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I keep the ones I liked on my shelf and the ones I'm not so keen on I put in a box out the way.

Kylun likes this.
  5. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I've actually been collecting every reading material on Star Wars canon, and I display them on my shelf, I have every TPB for the canon in what I assume is chronological order so that I can go back and re-read them all again in order and see what the overall narrative of Disney's Star Wars is.

revan772 and Dagobahsystem like this.
  6. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Depends on which books and comics.
    I've given many away to friends and family or sold them at used book stores.

I have a great many that are displayed on shelves to reread or at least reference. If a book was a gift from someone, I always keep it for as long as possible.

I should probably give or sell more of these books away, but I am attached to them.

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I return them to the library :p

8. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I keep my books in the bookcase and pull them out when I want to make lists referring to battles (and Wookieepedia is troublesome - speaking of, I'm going to need to go through every battle of the Yuuzhan Vong War to clean up most of the battle assets lists). The comics are in boxes atm but are there so I can refer to them when necessary. I have only ever sold my LOTF and FOTJ books when I declared them non-canon to my personal timeline.

9. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004

This.

10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I put the novels on my bookhelf and regard them fondly in years to come, telling myself I will reread them someday but never getting around to it.

For the comic books, I wait until they are collected in a trade and then give the comics themselves to my niece. That way she also gets to enjoy them and experience the fun of having a Star Wars comic book collection. Meanwhile, the trade hits my bookshelf, where it is regarded fondly...etc.

11. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    I keep them. I like having the collection.

Kylun and Master_Rebado like this.
  12. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I have every single canon Del Rey book, and most other ones where I can like Lost Stars (Lost Stars is best book written from Star Wars, I recommend it to anyone.) and Ahsoka.

I also try to get every canon comic, but my comic book store has messed up big time so I have about 4-5 (mostly newer ones) that they are trying to get for me. I collect them, the comics stay in a case my fiancée got for her comics when a store closed down about a year ago. My books are on a bookshelf.

As for Legends, I try to get the comics where I can. I also have every Del Rey book, minus like 3 or 4. (Kenobi and some harder to find older ones that tied in with a game.) They all go on a shelf for books, and the comics are stored in a box.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I put them on a shelf and will almost never touch them again unless I am really bored.

14. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I usually just stack them in random places everywhere, occasionally I might give one away as like a present or something.

15. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Well, if it's not stuff I got from the library, I usually keep them in a longbox or one of my bookshelves until I feel like reading them again.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  16. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Back in about 2012 I donated all of my SW books to a women's shelter, save for a small handful --- Zahn's trilogy, the NJO, and a few others --- but a few years after that I wheedled it down even further. I think my storage boxes back home only have Zahn's trilogy, the classic Han and Lando adventures, and Mindor now, the latter really only because a friend was borrowing it for a while and when he finally returned it a couple years ago I gave it a re-read.

But that's the only book I've re-read in... years and years. Who has time to re-read things? My list of books to read grows at an exponential rate. I read like a maniac but hang onto very few books in general; I live abroad in a small apartment and almost always give books away after I finish them. And there's only room for so many books in the storage boxes I keep at my mom's back in Canada --- every time I go home to visit I get rid of a few more.

Although I have a Kindle I still predominantly read real books made of paper more often than not (used book shops and fellow bookworm friends are great resources). But the few new SW books I've read since 2012 are on my Kindle. And even then I delete the ones that I don't like (Aftermath, Thrawn, and the TFA novelization didn't last very long on that device).

I donated most of my comics too, keeping only the entire runs of Legacy and KOTOR, the twenty or thirty classic Marvel issues I had picked up from comic shops back in the day, the two Droids omnibuses and... a few other trades, I think? Maybe an X-Wing omnibus and the final TPB of Tales? I honestly can't remember. Alongside a buncha non-SW comics and trades, they only take up two of those white cardboard rectangular comic storage boxes. You know the ones I mean.

17. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Kept lovingly on book shelfs, unhealthily organized by timeline. Comics bagged and boarded in long boxes. I'll go back for a re-read depending on where I am with what else I may be currently reading or if I the mood strike me to dive back into a story. Guilty pleasure is that "old comic book" smell from my original Marvel run.

18. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Keep one copy of every book I work on, organized on my shelf in publication order. I have a handful of other SW books, but otherwise I don't keep them. I don't have the space (NYC apartments being what they are) and aside from a few very sentimental favorites, I'm a firm believer that books are meant to be read, not just sit on dusty shelves for years. So I usually give away or donate them.

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've kept all the SW books and a lot of the comic tpbs. (I tend to buy those as I don't have a nearby comic shop for single issues). However other books get donated to a local charity shop after reading unless I really like them. I still have way too many books though.

Grievousdude and Master_Rebado like this.
  20. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I keep them all on my shelves. The comics are intentionally the most visible. I often lend comics to friends. Right now I have Legacy lended to one friend and Infinities to another. I've only gotten rid of the most useless ones. The Essential Guides and graphic novels are indispensable.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I reread many of mine when the mood strikes.

22. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    I put them on my sci-fi/fantasy shelf right next to my HP and GOT hardbacks. My brother collects the TPBs so we trade back and forth. But he’s the only one that I lend them to bc he knows not to even open the book all the way so the spine doesn’t get damaged. I loaned my first edition/first print HP and the goblet of fire to a cousin once when I was a teenager and got it back with a tattered dust sleeve, and the pages drawn on with highlighter. Never again. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I put them back on the shelf and walk out of Barnes & Noble [face_rofl]

Seriously, some I keep, but since I often move I usually end up giving those away. Part of them are currently in the collection of a friend of mine who was building a comprehensive Legends collection.

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I eat them to gain their power.

Kylun, Senpezeco, JediBatman and 3 others like this.
  25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Talk about a ready meal.

Kylun likes this.