main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    It's still snowing. It stopped for a bit yesterday evening but it is going again. I can no longer see the metre high hedges in the back yard and the fence is quickly disappearing. Nothing has been canceled. I'm supposed to go to a sushi night buttt I don't think I'm going to risk driving in this, even if it is for free sushi.

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Food? I would.

And I want that much snow. :(

3. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    It's a Defender-class ship from The Old Republic. It's the main ship used by the two Jedi classes in the game.

[/quote]
    Sorry about that.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I hope your FIL is doing better Lady_Misty! I recommend not only someone else being with someone at the doctor/hospital (unless it's a normal appointment) but to not leave the hospital until you've read and understand the discharge instructions. Sometimes things are confusing and once you've left it's much harder to get questions answered.

It snowed here last night as well, though not enough to really slow anything down.

Ugh, Chyn, now you are making my head itch! Nothing like avoiding the colds and flu and getting lice. :(

Chyntuck and Lady_Misty like this.
  5. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    No one from home was with him at the hospital and my MIL doesn't like traveling during bad weather/road conditions because she has PTSD from a bad accident years ago when they hit black ice on the highway, rolled and totaled their Suburban. Emergency Personal were so surprised that everyone survived and expressed their shock by saying they all should be dead. The roof should have caved in on MIL and FIL, and if a seat belt buckle hadn't been broken my BIL Al would have been killed when the door caved in, if my SIL Lauren hadn't been lying down she would have been killed by a side view mirror when it was sheared off and went through the window and if my MIL didn't lock the back/cargo door Hubby would have been thrown out and killed when the vehicle flipped. My SIL Dany is the only one that COULD have walked away from the accident.

The Roads around here are slightly sloped to help water not collect on the roads and drain to the shoulder and ditch. MIL can feel it if she sits in the front passenger seat and in the right hand side seats so if she's not driving she has to sit behind the driver or she feels like we're going off the road.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Mistress_Renata and mavjade like this.
  6. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Nothing but rain where I am.

7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Yikes, I don't blame her one bit! That must have been utterly terrifying and wow, I had no idea Suburbans were so well made! She should have offered to do a testimonial.

Rain here, and the cold last night made things a little slick, but it warmed up. No idea what tomorrow will bring. I had to bring my car in to the shop. Second flat tire in a year! Somehow, there is so much trash on the roads around here, it's the second screw I've picked up that punctured the tires, which are less than 5 years old. Unlike the last one, this one could be patched. I guess that's something. So inconvenient.

Not much other news. I figured out how to do some writing on my cell phone; the commute will be a lot more productive, FF wise!

Oh, headlice, @Chyntuck? You have all my sympathies! As a survivor of the Bedbug Infestation of 2009, I know how awful itchy, bitey nasties are! I hope you're able to get rid of them without too much hassle. :(

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Chyntuck, Ewok Poet and Lady_Misty like this.
  8. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    We got about a foot of snow here. The shed door where I keep my snow-blower? the lock was frozen. Or jammed. Or something. I couldn't get it open. Now, the snow would've been manageable... except it turned to freezing rain.

I am so tired. And my arms hurt so much.

Lady_Misty and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  9. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Hello all. Mood at present = [face_beatup] [face_plain] 8-}

10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    @brodiew What's wrong? Are you OK?

Watching the third evening of the Sanremo Festival. There was an old lady with one of the bands, dancing in a tutu and doing some incredible, acrobatic moves. It feels weird to see somebody cca. 40 years my senior who's more able-bodied than pretty much all of us here. Go, grandma, go!

And gah, we still didn't get any snow. There was that day with some joke of a snowfall in November...or was it December? Melted within hours.

I had plans involving a pack of cheesy and buttery pasta, diffuser and a face mask, but I'm like "whatever". :p The hunger diminished with the usual family member arrival, I did aromatherapy yesterday. But the mask is still an option. I wanna be green, like Yoda. :yoda:

EDIT: Facebook just introduced a weird new option, at least for me: ACCOUNT SWITCHER. What...the? [face_monkey]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Probably ice. I had the same issue with my car door. It's the worst when you're trying to get to the snow gear!
    I am hoping that the three are not going to be used in conjunction? Or at least, that the pasta had cooled before you applied it to your face? ;)
    Sympathetic. Mine is a bit more :mad:. There is a project at work that ended in October, and I just discovered that it has been resurrected in a new and different form that everyone is excited about, only there is some legal stuff which needs to be done which has gotten dumped on me to take care of.

Chyntuck, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Sorry to hear it, @Mistress_Renata! I work on the phones in a customer service escalation department. Today was especially nutty. Thus the feeling like a punching bag.

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    You guys... THE OLYMPICS!!! :D
    Okay, so we started watching last night with curling, but I feel like it really starts now since figure skating team event just started. And I'm so excited Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir are back as commentators (for the US broadcast, obviously). They were hilarious last time.

That bites Mistress_Renta :( I hope everything works out okay!

Brodie, I worked customer service for a while when I was in college so I know just how nutty things can get. But let me tell you how I loved the escalation desk and how they'd back us up when angry people really got going.

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sorry to hear about poopie days at work brodiew and Mistress Retana.

I am so excited for the Olympics! Mostly because I'm now snowed in and going a bit nutty (I need to take some better pictures of the mountain in the front yard - it's a good 10-12 feet). My housemates are going to help me get out on Saturday to get some more groceries and I need to by a new duvet. Someone (named Lucy Maud) somehow made a hole in mine (down EVERYWHERE), though it was like 14 years old so it is time for a new one anyways.

Though I need to figure out how I'm going to watch the Olympics. No American commentary FTW :p

mavjade likes this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I didn't get a job in customer service back in October and now I consider myself lucky. [face_sigh]

Olympics, yay! [face_dancing]

Curling normally makes me want to go and shoot people off a church tower or something, but the other day, I suddenly got an urge to try and play myself. Looks so...zen. Apparently, nobody else on Balkans has a curling lane, or so these people say: http://www.curling.rs/sr-rs/9-novosti/314-ценовник

Since mom and I missed the closing ceremony of the Summer Olympics in 2016 - I remember being awake and watching how Americans kill us dead in the men's basketball finals and then, boom, it was ten in the morning and I was hungry - I want to see that, too.

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  16. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Chyntuckopolis head lice update: Some of us (namely the five men and boys of the family plus me) chose to go for radical measures and shaved our heads. Tomorrow we'll be doing temp tattoos on our scalps while everyone else is still struggling with shampoos and combs. Oh, and the Somali contingent are doing some voodoo with vegetable oil that I'm not sure I want to know about :p

And about snow: I just saw the most hilarious video about Paris, which is apparently caught in a blizzard – or, well, a blizzard by French standards. I had my friend in France on the phone last night and she said it was total chaos, but the two Québécois who are commenting on the video thought that it was much ado about nothing. There's this moment when the French news broadcast shows an excavator removing snow from a road, and the two dudes say (with a fantastic Canadian accent) "what are they removing, the dust?" They were really funny, and at the same time I shudder at the thought of what would happen in Athens if we had *just* Parisian snow. They'd probably proclaim a state of emergency and get the army out in the streets.

I hope I can watch some of the Olympics, at least stuff I understand like figure skating (because curling is as big a mystery to me as cricket). It's not a big thing here for understandable reasons so we don't get extensive coverage, but I'm hoping that channels from neighbouring countries with proper winters will show more stuff.

@Lady_Misty I hope your in-laws are better now!

Gamiel and Lady_Misty like this.
  17. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I once begged my temp agency to extract me from a customer service job with a washing machine manufacturer, after six weeks.

Seal Team Six was not yet a thing, so I was unaware that I was talking to the wrong people.

18. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
  19. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Curling is really not that difficult to understand at a basic level. Generally speaking, the object is to have your stone closer to the center ("button") of the target rings ("house") at the conclusion of each round ("end"). You score one point for each of your stones that is in the house and closer to the button than any of your opponents' stones. The team with the last stone for the end is said to "have the hammer"; the hammer belongs to the team that did not score in the previous end. If no points are scored by either team in an end (i.e. no stones in the house at all), the team with the hammer retains it for the next end. If you have the hammer, you want to score at least two points; scoring only one with the hammer is usually considered a strategic win for the other team. The team without the hammer rarely scores, but if they do, it is known as a "steal" and can turn the tide of a game.

Ewok Poet, Gamiel and Chyntuck like this.
  20. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    ^ It's relaxing to watch on a grey day.

Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  21. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    @jcgoble3 That was a brave attempt, but you lost me at "having the hammer" [face_laugh] because I started picturing a guy skating around with a hammer while the other two sweep the ice. I think curling, cricket and that type of game simply isn't for me. I'm a "just put the ball in the goalposts and get over with it" type of gal 8-}

jcgoble3 and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Curling is not a relaxing sport to watch, at least where I grew up. My mother's parent's are curlers (they curled back when the brooms looked like actual straw brooms and they could smoke on the rink) and we grew up watching it. I have lost my voice many times watching curling.

23. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    What kind of sports do you like?

Chyntuck likes this.
  24. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    @Nehru_Amidala Our national sport here is football (real football, as in people kicking a ball around, not rugby without rules). In the family we mostly support a club called AEK. Basketball is also very popular and AEK have a neat basketball team, but football is still what we watch most (okay, mostly my husband, but I often sit along for the ride). But I completely acknowledge that it's a "put the ball in the goalposts and win" type of game :D

25. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Damn. My arms still hurt from Wednesday and shoveling. Or maybe/hopefully it's also me working my regular job, too.